Great White caught off Huntington Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers do occasionally mistake makos and great whites. The disturbing fact is that the CDF&G official did not know the difference. Much as I want GWS protected, I think that speaks volumes about the case. If it goes to court and there are witnesses who attest that the CDF&G official didn't know, I'm guessing the anglers will be found not guilty.

Since when is ignorance a defense?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't think people who "didn't know" that a short lobster was short would be let off the hook just out of ignorance. Same for exceeding limits....just because you don't know the limits, doesn't mean you shouldn't be held accountable.

It would be bad if the DFG guys couldn't identify it, but I certainly don't think that would be an excuse to not punish the fishermen.

Just out of curiosity, what would have been the appropriate way to release the shark had they known it was a white shark and its protected status?
I don't know their situation but when I've hooked a shark, I cut the line or pull the hook. They had a drop gaff and that insured that the shark would not survive.

If prior to fish and game misidentifying the shark, anyone of the anglers commented to a reliable witness or on video about catching a great white (or having one on the line) it will no longer matter than F&G misidentified it. As long as they can prove the anglers knew what it was, they could prosecute....doesn't mean they will, though.

If prior to fish and game misidentifying the shark, anyone of the anglers commented to a reliable witness or on video about catching a great white (or having one on the line) it will no longer matter than F&G misidentified it. As long as they can prove the anglers knew what it was, they could prosecute....doesn't mean they will, though.

Very true.

Of course there are ways to tell the difference between a GWS and a mako, but once the anglers used the gaff on the shark it was probably unlikely to make it assuming the gaff penetrated the muscle layer into the body cavity (although, of course, sharks do have amazing powers of healing).

Wow. Pier fisher men dont even need a license. I seriously doubt these people have done any research on any legal limits or species. These people should be prosecuted to the full extent. Ignorance is no excuse and more often than not just an excuse.
I fish and dive. I follow the rules and take only what I will eat and that which I am sure is legal.
I gladly cast the first stone. Just as I do confront those that I see practicing illegal fishing/gathering.

Wow. Pier fisher men dont even need a license. I seriously doubt these people have done any research on any legal limits or species. These people should be prosecuted to the full extent. Ignorance is no excuse and more often than not just an excuse.

Good point. And thanks for being an angler who follows the rules and admonishes those who don't.

Come on folks ...any of you ever see who pier fishes in SoCal ???? Guarantee they had no idea what they caught species wise ..all they knew was they were making shark fin soup that night and feeding the family for days ... come on back to earth y'all none of them keep a Ca DF&G field manual with them ... they are targeting mackerel, sandies and an occasional calico. These folks live day to day and most can't afford a trip on a cattle boat 1/2 day. Hell most use fresh water tackle ...

Ahhh check that ... just saw the video ... these guys are felony stupid!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom