• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Great White Shark Incident @ Catalina

Discussion in 'Shark Forum!' started by mcohen1021, Oct 9, 2019.

1. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Exactly

2. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I still remember watching, many, many years ago, the "behind the scenes" footage of an episode in one of BBC's many excellent nature series. They were showing orcas hunting sea lions, even beaching themselves to get to the pups before thrashing out into the water with a sea lion pup in their jaws. The cameraman was floating in knee- to thigh-deep water, shooting the whales as they came in for another piece of food. Wearing a black wetsuit. I was, like, "how the HECK can you trust that you don't look just a little too much like a sea lion??" I mean, even if the whale spits you out because you don't taste right, you're pretty much screwed.

drrich2 and KathyV like this.
  3. mcohen1021

mcohen1021 Manta Ray

Big porcelain veneers??

sharks-area-lot-friendlier-without-sharp-teeth-shark-week-26096427.png

Idea for surfers, assuming the sharks made it past highschool...? :D

cdf5ac95ee418790cef5c695d41353ec.jpg

Scuba Lawyer likes this.
  4. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

I assume being mammals they may have better eyesight, on the other hand once locked on the pup I can see how it would be easy to end up as bycatch.

5. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I took no precautions. I had faith that I was not on its menu. Of course the poor visibility that day may have proven otherwise.

6. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    @drbill
    You are certainly a great example for the beginning divers and others who visit the
    Catalina a Dive Park.

What did you tell the on lookers who got out of the water and were setting on the wall high a dry because of GWS roaming the park ?

Perhaps " I fear no shark for I am dr bill ?"

I would have been one who was high and dry
    I am curious as I suspect others are why enter the water with a GWS is on patrol ?

SDM

7. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Found the GWS paper John gave me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77dwui63vo339y5/McCosker GWS paper.pdf?dl=0

8. drbill

Sam, I'm a marine biologist and videographer and wanted to get video if possible. When I went in, they hadn't closed the dive park so there were others in the water. They closed it while I was under. A few folks did comment that "Only you would still be in the water).

I have had other encounters (although from a distance) with GWS here and have dived with many different species of sharks around the world.

There are more GWS in our waters today (and elsewhere) due in part to the increase in their marine mammal prey and the protected status of the species. There was a tagged 13 ft female GWS that passed by the dive park with regularity last year. Encounters will likely increase for divers.

9. Diver6106

Diver6106 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Been to Catalina Two Harbors many times, usually snorkeling. What I liked to do is swim along the shore, then cross the channel to the marker and snorkel Harbor Reef. But it always made me nervous crossing the channel. It is deeper water and you are just a shadow on the surface, in a wetsuit - just like the seals that swim all over there. Emerald Cove is my favorite anchorage there.

10. drbill

Sam, a clarification. When I went in the dive park was still open and there were many divers in the water. They closed it after I submerged.

chillyinCanada likes this.