Great White Shark on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never remember how it sits on a map, but if you are faciung the "open" end of the crater, shark condos is on the left tip. I did that once in 2000 in a raging current, it's down about 110', had to crawl along the bottom to see the juvenile gray reef sharks that were congregating down there. Then once you're done, let go and fly down that side of the wall (stopping to pick up expended ammo from the shooting days, gotta couple 50 caliber rounds (I think) on my office shelf).

Reef's end is closer to the right tip. We would do Reef's End to backwall drifts, starting inside the crater then slipping over the edge to catch the current along the wall.

Great memories
Chris

Okay, I am officially under 100 days untill Maui. Looks like a lot of us will be there in July. Hope to hook up with some of you. I just got back from Dallas on business and never felt so land locked. Even though diving in Southern California has been lousy, it is good to be near the ocean again.

I wonder if "Whitey" will be there during the summer? In any case, the camera goes where I go....with new batteries.

Aloha,

Under 70 days 'till Maui. Is everyone still going?

Uncle P,

Thanks. I got lucky...in several ways! I imagine Whitey is back home in Northern California and won't be in Maui during July...hopefully.

Take care.

Jon,

Great picture.

I ask anyone that ever sees or photographs a GW in my area, to kindly keep the sighting to yourself. Don't post the picture and don't tell us what an amazing experience it was. In my little world the water is always warm, clear and shark free - I want to keep it that way :)

Last I heard, Mexico had a few large sharks.... :wink:

If it makes you feel better just replace the word "shark" with "Toaster Oven". Or "Big Freakin' Toaster Oven" or "Great White Toaster Oven". It helps me cope!

Hey, Pez I read your bio. You appear to be one of the few that pulled up stakes from the normal rat race to try a more fulfilling existance. Good for you.

Best to you....

rarely in Hawaiian waters? I thought that a big female was spotted almost every year around the north shore of Oahu?? I've never heard of one in Maui before though.

Sorry for the johnny come lately, thats a dive of a lifetime for sure.

Finally under 30 days 'til Hawaii!!

Just got back from Mobile, Alabama on business. Very close to the gulf but no time to get a dive in. I will be going back so if anyone has a connection with a good dive shop, I'd like to know it for future reference.

Apparently there have been several large shark sightings off Maui the last several weeks. Mostly tigers! Apparently the GW didn't scare them off. It may be time to buy that submarine I have been thinking about.

Who else from this thread is still going to Maui in July? Maybe we could all pick a site and do a mass dive with the local sharks...safety in numbers as they say! :wink:

So Cal diving has been awful...high surf since January, red tide last weekend. It is really discouraging to have all this sunny weather and 3-5 foot surf with 6 foot vis. Looking forward to no surf, 80' vis, 80 degree water. The heck with the sharks...but I will take my camera on every dive!

Best to all....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom