Great White Shark on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon C:
Finally under 30 days 'til Hawaii!!

Who else from this thread is still going to Maui in July? Maybe we could all pick a site and do a mass dive with the local sharks...safety in numbers as they say! :wink:

So Cal diving has been awful...high surf since January, red tide last weekend. It is really discouraging to have all this sunny weather and 3-5 foot surf with 6 foot vis. Looking forward to no surf, 80' vis, 80 degree water. The heck with the sharks...but I will take my camera on every dive!

Best to all....

Hey Jon!

We're off to Maui on the 28th of July. Still havent figured out quite what I'll be doing as I'm going over with non-scuba family and I'm limiting myself to only three dive days...certainly one trip to Molokini, one to Lanai). If I can arrange it, I'd like to beach dive where the rest of my family snorkels (Honolua and Ahi'hi in particular).

I've had some good dives in So Cal in the last month or so! May 21/22 I went out on Spectre out of Ventura for both days to Anacapa and SC...eight dives, decent viz. On the 11th of this month took the Spectre back to Anacapa...a bit colder and the viz was poorish, but got to "dance with sea lions"!

I'm hoping to get at least one and hopefully two more dives before Maui. Just bought a Canon A95 and WP housing and would like to get some wet time with it before heading out to the islands.

Have yourself a great trip!! ALOOOOOHAAA!

Robert

Robert,

Glad to hear you were able to get some dives in locally. I can't believe how bad it has been. It is my release from work stress, so I haven't been able to unwind as much as I'd like.

Sorry I will miss you in Maui...I return home on the 28th, so I will wave at you from the plane. Of course, there is a possiblility I will refuse to get on the plane...

I have been slowly converting to a DIR configuration but I am probably not going to take it to Maui until I try it out some. Not ready to give up my computer just yet...Not sure where a camera would go on this rig!

Hopefully, I will get some cool photos this time around. I was using ISO 50 for my macro work, but it has been discontinued. I have a few rolls in the fridge but am hesitant to use any on local 4 foot vis!!! Even after washing them, my booties still smell like dead plankton from the red tide.

Where are you planning to stay? If you are in central or south Maui...you would really enjoy the B&B crew. They leave out of the Kihei boat ramp and I have always felt comfortable even as a single diver (wife doesn't do the "tank" thing).

Stay in touch and we'll compare vacations in August...if I come back! :eyebrow:

I don't know if this is too late (sorry - didn't visit this thread for awhile) but Maui Daimond II (call Pacific Dive for details) offers a good "compromise" scuba snorkel trip - They anchor in about 20 ft. close enough to the shore for snorkelers, while taking the Scuba divers on a 1 hr. tour (approx) of the garden eels, and a few other things at 70-80ft, then work back up to the anchor line. It was my first boat dive and I enjoyed it, plus they treated all of us very well. Small boat and good DM (from my limited experience with them)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I'd enjoy meeting those of you who are traveling over around that time - Drop me a PM and I'll see if we can put together an afternoon dive or bbq ... or both :wink: Otter, orangelion03, DiveMe, others??? (I think I'll start a new thread too about this)

orangelion03:
Sounds like July will be all arseholes and elbows 'round Molokini...:azvatar:

We'll be there same time. I have to call B&B and ask a few questions. I want to dive, but I dont want to spend my entire time away from my girl and her daughter. I was hoping to find a tour group or LDS that would accomodate both snorklers and scuba divers out to Molokini...perhaps mooring on the western edge...any suggestions? Anyone? Kisdspot (Tim)? Kidspot?

Where is Reef's End on Molokini? Shark Condo? I have small topo/depth chart of the islet and it doesnt show those.

PS: a really good book on Great Whites is "Great White Shark" (catchy title, eh?) by Ellis and McCosker. I bet Molksmith has a copy...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0804725292/qid=1112463506/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-3243358-6780631

The GW DVDs I mentioned in an earlier post are also available from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006AUI4/qid=1112463883/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3243358-6780631?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007GFPCA/qid=1112464028/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl74/103-3243358-6780631?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Thanks for the Pacific Dive link Tim! Their Molokini snorkel/scuba trip sounds perfect for us!!

And I like the idea of meeting up with you, if not for a bbq, at least maybe we can buddy up for a beach dive or two with my snorkeling family?? I'll be contacting you directly via PM.

Cheers!!

Robert

kidspot:
I don't know if this is too late (sorry - didn't visit this thread for awhile) but Maui Daimond II (call Pacific Dive for details) offers a good "compromise" scuba snorkel trip - They anchor in about 20 ft. close enough to the shore for snorkelers, while taking the Scuba divers on a 1 hr. tour (approx) of the garden eels, and a few other things at 70-80ft, then work back up to the anchor line. It was my first boat dive and I enjoyed it, plus they treated all of us very well. Small boat and good DM (from my limited experience with them)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I'd enjoy meeting those of you who are traveling over around that time - Drop me a PM and I'll see if we can put together an afternoon dive or bbq ... or both :wink: Otter, orangelion03, DiveMe, others??? (I think I'll start a new thread too about this)

This came as an email, so don't know much about it.
Story is that some fellows were fishing in Australian waters
and caught a six foot shark, and when they got it to the surface,
this Great White came up and swallowed it!

Looks rigged to me: the GDGW isn't moving (notice how flat the water is) which means it's either dead or nearly so.

reefraff:
Looks rigged to me: the GDGW isn't moving (notice how flat the water is) which means it's either dead or nearly so.

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't they supposed to go like that when they go vertical or on their back, especially when they are out of the water like that?

Looks a little "fishy" to me. Besides, wouldn't the guys on the boat have heard "the music" if this were real? I mean, GW's always show up after the music. :dazzler1:

Maui here I come!!!!!

This is real! I took this picture....ok, no I didn't...but I think its legite.

BTW, Jon...you are famous on SB....I just revisited this thread because of my Hawaii trip in a few days....I'm talking with a coworkers about your pic right now....not sure how I would react to this but snapping a few pictures would be a good idea..just in case they are my last...

If my camera was ever recovered and if the locals didnt cover anything up, then all the rumors about my demise would be nulled. Jepuskar, killed by a 1 foot white tip shark. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom