Great white sighted off Palm Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still not worried, since I don't spearfish and stay away from divers who are.

It's not really suprising if you look at it from the shark's point of view: Here's tasty food on a stick that's still alive and wiggling and can't seem to swim away. What could be better?

Terry

likelite:
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/outdoors_fishing/article/0,,TCP_1062_3947470,00.html

All this talk about sharks being man-eaters never really worried me ... until now.

Two scuba divers spear-fishing at the Hole in the Wall dive sight off Jupiter were alarmed when they came face to face with a great white shark. Now you have my attention!

Keith Hennessy and Danny George were out in 130 feet of water when they came upon a nice 20-pound grouper. Hennessy took the shot and impaled the big fish while George opted to shoot a mutton snapper that came over to see what was going on. The fish "holed up" in a cave structure on the ledge.

Now, Vickie... a woman should never ask a man a question like that!

The largest independently verified great white sighted was 18' and 3,000 pounds. I have seen ones I estimated at close to 20' but with no independent verification.

Dr. Bill

Though rare along the Southeastern seaboard, the Great White Shark has been sighted for years off the Coasts of North and South Carolina. No reason to find it odd to be in Florida waters....

K

likelite:
:wink: You know, maybe it did. Who knows. Whites are widely reported to travel thousands of miles over the course of a year and have been caught off Virginia and other mid-Atlantic states. Here's a story, with pictures, about a guy who caught a great white with a rod and reel off Saint Augustine last month. I wonder if it's part of a larger migration pattern, for them to be traveling through the southern U.S.

The part I have trouble with is a 6-foot tailfin. How would a 15-foot shark swim with a tailfin half as large as its body length...?

It isn't that I find it odd seeing them here. I know for a fact that they've been in our waters (unless of course someone has been planting their teeth for us to find on the reef). What I find a bit, um.... odd, is that we would have a record sized great white shark hanging out in 84+ degree water.

Do I think it was a GW? ....no
Do I think they are out in the Atlantic? absolutely!!!
Do I think woman should never ask questions like that? :laughing: sure, if you want a quick response :laughing:

It's too warm for them this far south, although for two years in a row, at least one has been seen way out off St. Augustine, and they sounded like different sharks.
At Hole In The Wall that close to the Gulf Stream, I'd believe a mako coming in for a look, or maybe a much more common bull or tiger shark, but a great white looking at two guys holding a shot grouper and leaving witnesses...uh, no....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom