Greenpeace ship damages reef in Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No surprise here.

How pathetic, they are checking on the condition of the reef and find it to be healthy, then ram their boat into it...grand, just grand. And we can't wear gloves :D

Well, they did say that their chart was in error... and a recent chart supplied by the government whose reef they hit, no less. Navigation is only as good as your charts, as any mariner can attest.

archman:
Well, they did say that their chart was in error... and a recent chart supplied by the government whose reef they hit, no less. Navigation is only as good as your charts, as any mariner can attest.

And they did step up and take resposibility for their actions.

Joe

archman:

I agree with Greenpeace actions in some cases and disagree with them in others. In this case I do wonder how the vessel was operating simply from the inaccurate charts and not using other navigational tools that might have prevented this?

No matter how recent the chart is.....there WILL be updates to it that need to be kept up with. As a quartermaster in the Coast Guard, I spent many a long night on the bridge updating charts, both new and old with the recent publications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom