Greetings and Hallucinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSJ

Reaction score
I thought it proper to introduce myself as I’ve broken cover and started posting.

First the obligatory gatutitious compliment: This is a very professional board with very interesting conversations and little acrimony. I’ve learned a thing or two reading the threads.

My background:
I’m 41 and certified back in ’88 with an independent instructor by the name of Bob Slye. He was everything you might want in a teacher, dedicated to turning out qualified divers. He spent extra pool time with anyone who needed it. For the OW in the quarry he took us out into the middle and across the lake rather than camp at the entryway like a number of other groups. I got to doff and don my gear in 40ft of silt (hard to keep from kicking it up without the BC on), and that gave me confidence. His attitude about diving stuck with me. I am more than happy to pay an instructor what they are worth for quality instruction.

I dove for a couple years then, some in the quarry, once in Tobermory, another in Alpena, and one warm water weekend in Penekamp (sp?) Park, Key Largo. I also snorkeled with dolphins on that trip. After a four dives a day for two days I was reminded that I had a snorkel rather than a reg in my mouth only when I took a breath. However with mostly cold water diving and the hassle of renting less than stellar gear I just dropped out. Every now and then I’d have a scuba diving dream that would remind me I used to enjoy it, but it wasn’t enough to break back into it. Then five years ago my buddy said “Epcot Dive Quest”, and I took a refresher to dive the “Living Seas” exhibit at Disney. Watching a Disney diver in the tank was a big trigger for our learning in the first place, so this was sort of coming full circle. I had recalled watching some TV show where the reported got to go behind the scenes there and I had wondered just what sort of strings one might have to pull to do it. Now I was hopping in the tank myself. The real Jacques Cousteau moment was popping into to dive sphere and taking off my mask. The thing is I didn’t dive again after that. Then I found myself wondering what to do with vacation time I haven’t taken and remembered my plans to “Go dive at some tropical island sometime.” I found a LDS newsletter at my folks (still sent there after all these years) and what did they have on the front page, but “Spoil Yourself in Bonaire!” Right then I decided to do just that.

I’m signed up for a week in Bonaire over Thanksgiving, and I’ve bought most of my kit with the idea that it just might help me stay in it this time. Besides who can resist the cool toys? Computers didn't even exist back when I certified (and yes, I still know how to work the tables).

I read Rondel’s reviews and quite a few threads before making my decision. The first thing I decided was to patronize the LDS over LP. I can afford to, and it allowed me to check out the gear in the store pool. I bought Atomics T2 regs for both primary and backup. I wanted both to be the same top quality. I easily passed up the opportunity to drop another six hundred on the titanium first stage, opting instead to keep the weight and avoid buying more lead. I heard nice things about Apex on the forum, but even though the dive shop would order them for me I opted for the Atomics because of the weight and the automatic vane. My philosophy is to keep the task loading down to a minimum, and one less dial to twiddle while down is a good thing.

Likewise I opted for the Dacor Nautica with Airtrim. I was expecting to like the SeaQuest Pro better, but I really liked having the “up” and “down” buttons in one spot. People talk about eliminating a hose with an integrated backup, but I found I would rather get rid of the dangly on my chest as it gets fumbled for much more often. Besides, that would get me out of the whole integrated backup debate :fight:. Once again, this choice allowed me to reduce task loading by a little bit.

I already mentioned in a previous post that I went for a Suunto Cobra. It has all the information I need all on one gauge face. As an instrument pilot, I appreciate the quick scan possible with that arrangement.

I did resist the new fangled split fins, deciding instead to keep my trusty Jet Fins. I pulled them out from under the spare bed, cleaned them up, sprayed silicon on, and they look brand new. Of course I replaced the straps after noting they were locked on for ten years with no relief.

One effect you’ve had is to dissuade me from buying a Spare Air. I’ll be diving with no set buddy for a while and I figured it good insurance based on the manufacture’s web site and the ad’s, but now I’m not so sure.

I'm currently diving a standard mask (with side windows) with contacts. My old perscription bonded mask is out of date, and I decided I much prefered being able to look in any direction and not have to stare straight ahead through the lenses to see anything. I'm also going against my normal grain and going to try out a brand new idea as soon as it comes out. I stumbled across the HydrOptics web site and the possibility of true peripheral vision was far too much to ignore. I've got my fingers crossed that they can deliver before my plane takes off.

To prepare for the trip I’m taking a specialty class in “Underwater Basket Weaving”. Yep, it’s a real SSI specialty class and I’ll get a certificate suitable for framing. I’m planning on displaying it at work :) . Well, before I start another “Useless class” thread I’ll say that despite the name, it’s a bouyancy skills class that uses the task of basket weaving to distract you so your normal breathing patterns, etc. come out for video taping and critique. The instructor found anyone could hover if they concentrated on it, but not when loaded with another task. Let me tell you, trying to keep track of twelve cane strips that want to float away while trying to weave the rest is no mean feat!

I have already completed the Nitrox class so I can get more dives in safely when I'm on my trip.

I’m taking AOW on the trip itself, as I like to make any vacation a learning opportunity. After that I want to take Rescue diver and I’m not sure what else after that. Though I don’t have any plans to cave dive, I might take the DIR-F class. I look at that like the aerobatics instruction I’ve taken. I don’t plan on flying Cuban Eights every day, but it’s nice to know I can handle any attitude the plane may find itself in.

Meanwhile I will keep reading and learning. It's nice bumping into you all.

David.

Welcome to the board, another Michigander, I also choose to go to warm sites. You'll love Bonaire, I've been there a couple of times, the diving is easy and interesting.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :D

Welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England USA.
Have fun here and Dive Safe......................Arduous

What a long post..good job!!!

Also, welcome from chilly toledo, ohio!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom