Greetings from a newbie in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AK47Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I've been lurking on this site for a bit and decided to register and post.

I'm in the process of being open water certified. I had one discover scuba diving experience in the Dominican Republic when on vacation and I got hooked (ok between that and reading Shadow Divers I was totally hooked).

I've passed all of the coursework and the Pool sessions. My Open water dives are scheduled for May 20 and 21 at the portage Quarry in Ohio as its kinda cold for diving in Michigan right now.

I've done the training and purchased the basics (fins, maks, snorkel, gloves, about to buy a hood) from Sea The World Scuba. Excellent training there and a very good experience so far.

Since I live very close to Cass and Orchard lakes i'm looking forward to diving them and the Great Lakes.

One question I have is: Is there any real difference between a 6.5 mm and a 7mm Farmer John wetsuit? Sea the World has a 7mm for $400 and Joediverusa has the 6.5mm for $150. As I'm currently short on cash and I'd rather put it towards more training, is there a big difference in performance?

Hello from Sardis Lake, Ms. and welcome to the board...I have the farmer john from diver's direct and it is great....made by Evo and was about $125...the have the 7 mm on sale right now for around $60 for the bottoms and $70 for the top...lifetime warranty

It's not too cold for diving in Michigan :) Too bad you haven't certified yet, there is a big meet-n-greet at Gilboa quarry in Ohio April 28-30. Someone from the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew section is diving pretty much every weekend so if you're looking for a buddy post there and see who is available.

Good luck on your cert dives! The 6.5mm will be fine, in those temperatures you don't really notice the difference between the 6.5mm and the 7mm.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks for the welcome. Do you have the link for Diver's Direct, as the 7mm farmer johns certainly bears looking into.

Yep, the earliest I could do it was in May. Once i'm certified I'll be looking for a dive buddy.

Welcome to SB

Howdy and welcome to SB!

1/2 mil diff? No biggie...

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-009.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom