Greetings from France & Croatia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v-v

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

time to officially say hi after a few very enjoyable and thoughtful discussions here.
So: hi, I'm Vedran V. (thus my standard username), originally from an island of the northern Adriatic (where I still love to spend all my holidays), moved to France for my PhD and, for now, remained here. Given the continuous alterations of European borders and the fact that my grandparents changed three countries/citizenships without ever relocating from the same island, I'd be kind of an Italo-Croatian homosapiens sapiens currently residing in France. Though I feel solely connected to the northern Adriatic as my birthplace and consider Europe small enough to be my home :)

Son of a scuba diver, did a few in-uterus scuba dives in my early weeks during the eighties only to enjoy the shallows for the rest of my youth, thinking I have issues equalizing. Many years passed and as BBs slowly morphed into the internet and site lists like altavista were slowly overthrown by semi-omnipotent search engines like google, I finally stumbled upon an explanation that I should equalize ASAP, even before I notice anything, and that once the Eustachian tubes close, they're quite hard to reopen - a small but crucial detail my diving parents somehow missed. That was the day I was finally reborn: my snorkeling was not restrictive and I could finally also start scuba diving and not just sail on the surface or snorkel to 2-3m :)

Now I'm an AOWD and in the meantime I also became a caver that enjoys all the beauties the kart on my islands has to offer - so the natural progression I'm looking forward to is into cave diving. I'm looking forward to do the TDI cavern/intro/full part soon, though since regulations in France allow it, I've already trained and dove a few sources in France with my fellow cave divers from a French caving club :)

Being from a family that was close to the local diving community, I was always interested in the theories, how stuff works, was reading about the deco theories and so on. Given I was always dreaming of leaning on the tech side, I hope to be able to pursue my diving life path, as a hobby, in that direction :)

Interestingly enough, I did my PhD in Deep Learning and, in my leisure time, I go deep underground and deep underwater (not really, I dislike pushing limits or going outside of my comfort zone, and I find the SSI nomenclature of "deep diving" to 40m slightly odd and misleading, the same way I consider the A i AOWD misleading, but ok) so my colleagues even made a poster for my PhD defense (it's a thing here) where they photoshopped my supervisors and me somewhere underground and put the title "we need to go deeper" - a reference to the current fashion of creating deeper and deeper artificial (deep) neural networks but also as a word play to the two hobbies I do to enjoy the beauties this cute planet has to offer.

Anyway, nice to meet you and if some of you decide to dive around the islands of the northern Adriatic any August or maybe cavedive in the French region of the Lot during prolong weekends like Easter/Pentecost/etc, feel free to say hi.

Looking forward to enjoy my presence on scubaboard and for and wishing you many enjoyable moments on this kinda-cute little planet.

Welcome to ScubaBoard v-v. Very nice to have you here in the forum.

Reactions: v-v
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom