Greetings!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan P

Reaction score
Howdy everyone. I've been lurking around here for the past few weeks and figured it was time to introduce myself. (drumroll please)

I live in College Station. I'm 26 and the last time I dove I was 15. I did a few dives in the carribean in High School, but nothing since. I did a refresher course at the LDS last week and am hoping to take the AOW course at the end of the month if it doesn't get cancelled.

I'm on a trip onboard the Aqua Cat livaboard Oct 12-19th in the Exumas, so I'm hoping to get up to speed before then. I've been madly researching and buying scuba gear(mostly online). I would definantly be up for some weekend diving before October, if yall can take a newbie :). Still trying to finish buying equipment...so far I've purchased...

SeaQuest Balance
Apex ATX50 & ATX40 Octo
Suunto Cobra
Tusa X-Pert Zoom
Cressi Horizon
Hernderson Microprene,Goldcore tropic booties&cap

I guess I may need something warmer to dive lakes around here...Tommorrow I'm planning on ordering a halcyon long & short hose, UK HID light cannon, and somesort of knife....

It's probably a little too late to tell me I'm doing it all wrong!!

:)

Ryan

I think Fletch lives in College Station. And there are quite a few Swampers in Austin and I'm sure they'll welcome you to dive with them.

Come on down to Twin Lakes...we have a whole crew who'll dive with ya.

Hiya Ryan!

Lesee. Almost every weekend a Swamper is at Twin Lakes (south of Houston, about a 2hr drive). Of course, there's Blue Lagoon (not a bad place to do some refresher diving), and Lake Travis (I need to convince the Austin Swampers to stake out Mansfield Dam on a regular basis, as that is significantly closer than TL :wink: )

Send me a PM whenever you feel like making a quick weekend trip, and I'll tag along (assuming nothing else of import is going on).

What size hose kit were you thinking about ordering? I wouldn't get the 7' hose with a SeaQuest, it isn't likely to route well (the 5' would be fine). I'd recommend a backplate/harness/wing as per normal, but it appears you already bought your BCD :)

For a knife, I pick up a $4 Good Cook utility knife from Albertson's, snap it down to 1-2" of blade, and file the end smooth (for prying). It seems to cut line/rope/webbing/my fingers a lot better than more expensive dive knives, and I don't cry when I lose it :)

take care,
jeff

Thanks

I didn't know that there was anyone else here from College Station. I thought about the wing route, but it just seemed a little too complicated for me right now. The balance seems fairly similar(except for the modularization) and was cheaper. I'm planning on a 3/8" 5' hose and plug my 1/2" port(if I can figure where to get the plug).

What sort of exposure protection should I be looking into? I really like how my Henderson microprene fits, but I'm guessing 1mm isn't going to cut it.

I'd definantly be interested in traveling with you for a weekend trip. Looking at your profile, I think we have a lot in common.

BTW. This sure is getting to be an expensive hobby! :)

Ryan

Ryan P once bubbled...
Thanks

I didn't know that there was anyone else here from College Station. I thought about the wing route, but it just seemed a little too complicated for me right now.

Bah :wink: "Simplicity itself", as Uncle Pug always chimes in *chuckle*

The balance seems fairly similar(except for the modularization) and was cheaper.

The "cheaper" I'll believe (still wincing at wing prices)

I'm planning on a 3/8" 5' hose and plug my 1/2" port(if I can figure where to get the plug).

The routing is easier on the flathead VI first stage (don't know which first stage you have) if you just get the adapter instead. Last I checked, Paradise Scuba didn't have any in, but Discover Scuba in Houston gave me one free when I gave one of its managers a bunch of bolt snaps at our DIRF class :wink: Actually, I think I had one of PS' last 1/2" plugs in my pocket, last time I checked... (yup, its still there...)

What sort of exposure protection should I be looking into? I really like how my Henderson microprene fits, but I'm guessing 1mm isn't going to cut it.

Depends, really. On a warm day, diving at Twin Lakes above the thermocline is perfectly acceptable. Likewise with Blue Lagoon. Lake Travis, you might be fine with the skin, or you might want something a little beefier. You can always rent them for fairly cheap (thats what I do, as I don't feel like getting a 5mm AND a 7mm).

I'd definantly be interested in traveling with you for a weekend trip. Looking at your profile, I think we have a lot in common.

BTW. This sure is getting to be an expensive hobby! :)

Ryan

At times disgustingly expensive :wink: Oh well, at least fairly soon I'll have the off season to save up for some largish purchases... (canister light, drysuit, doubles)

jeff

Actually, I think I had one of PS' last 1/2" plugs in my pocket, last time I checked... (yup, its still there...)
So is this an offer to part with it? :)
The routing is easier on the flathead VI first stage (don't know which first stage you have) if you just get the adapter instead.
I've got the DST Yoke. If I plug the 1/2" I will have two 3/8" ports on the right for the regulators. The BCD will have the front left 3/8" port. The plugged port will be the far left port.
you might be fine with the skin, or you might want something a little beefier
I think I will rough it out with the skin/cap then. I don't normally get cold easily.

I don't think I will have my gear ready for this weekend, but maybe one of the following two would work. The AOW class is supposed to be at Travis Sept 28th & 29th. However, they seem to have trouble getting their classes to make.

Ryan

...welcome to the Swamp. And GIG 'EM AGGIES!!! :thumb:

Great to have you here.

Wanna dive Broken Bow lake in Oklahoma?

Big catfish.

Fetch once bubbled...
(I need to convince the Austin Swampers to stake out Mansfield Dam on a regular basis, as that is significantly closer than TL :wink:

Oh yeah? I'm in. I'm all but certified now. Just need to do the technicalities of the written test portion (tomorrow) and I have my basic OW done. I have to get in 25 dives by Oct. 18th so that I can get in the DIR/F class so I'm game to dive any time.

-will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom