Gropers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as I'm sitting here cracking up at this thread, yeah I have multiple times and it's actually a pretty legitimate issue. You'd be surprised how interested older men become in just how secure your chest strap really is and making sure that your shoulder straps really aren't twisted. I was taught and still teach an independent buddy supervised buddy check and very much dislike being touched by other people especially if it's so obvious what they're trying to do.

That being said I have had some extremely awkward moments attempting to fix my students or DSDs weight belts. "Just lay on your stomach and ignore the awkwardness of what I'm about to do" as I have to go under them reach around them and then tighten it. I think there's a couple pictures of the last time floating around as one of the other instructors was along with a camera for the heck of it. He might have been laughing too hard to get a decent picture though.

As a side note one of my best friends is an EXTREMELY touchy feeley sort of person and he crossed the line one two many times and got fired for "sexually harassing" a new DMT soooo it does happen. And watch out for those old men....especially the european ones...they're feisty....

i have goosed my regular dive buddy a couple of times when diving wet. its all in good fun. she usually returns the favor with a punch in the belly when i am not expecting it. but never ever to a stranger. its just bad manners, among other things.

When I am diving with ladies other than my wife for the first time, especially newer divers I will mention that incidental contact may happen. It may be somethng like grabbing a shoulder strap for stability while helping with a gear issue. I have never had anyone take exception.

As for unsolicited sexual contact that's just as wrong underwater as it is anywhere else.

Pete

As much as I'm sitting here cracking up at this thread, yeah I have multiple times and it's actually a pretty legitimate issue. You'd be surprised how interested older men become in just how secure your chest strap really is and making sure that your shoulder straps really aren't twisted. I was taught and still teach an independent buddy supervised buddy check and very much dislike being touched by other people especially if it's so obvious what they're trying to do.

That being said I have had some extremely awkward moments attempting to fix my students or DSDs weight belts. "Just lay on your stomach and ignore the awkwardness of what I'm about to do" as I have to go under them reach around them and then tighten it. I think there's a couple pictures of the last time floating around as one of the other instructors was along with a camera for the heck of it. He might have been laughing too hard to get a decent picture though.

As a side note one of my best friends is an EXTREMELY touchy feeley sort of person and he crossed the line one two many times and got fired for "sexually harassing" a new DMT soooo it does happen. And watch out for those old men....especially the european ones...they're feisty....

thank you

I've had an instructor grab a shoulder strap or something during a class, particularly OW. But I didn't take that personal and he made it very clear it was for safety and nothing else. Other than that, I am not a real touchy person. I have my few close dive buddies, which we come in contact a lot, but it's always non-sexual and ok. I have a couple that a teasing touch or pinch on the butt is funny, but again, I know them very well and know it's not anything more. But random gropes from strangers? Only once. He had an imprint of my fin across his face for an hour. Got lots of humiliating teases back on the boat. He never did it again.

I think a large part of it depends what country you live in. Cause around here people are a lot more grabby than in the US. I was actually specifically taught on my IDC that you HAVE to make physical contact during class room sessions or you're not doing it right. Hands on the shoulder, leaning over shoulder, reassuring pat etc. all counted into your presentation score. I can't see anyone in the US or UK teaching that. Also at least at the dive shops I work at we're all really really bad about touching with the other staff. Maybe that's what you get when you all live together and then work 12 hour days together, but as far as the dive staff around here goes it gets interesting. Never with customers though and never would I do the things I do to friends to anyone who I didn't know. And I've also noticed that dive shop staff in the US are a lot less touchey-feeley than we are. Hmmmm...

Though not a scuba instructor, I did teach skydiving for 20+ years... I would tell "EVERY CLASS" guys move the boys to the middle so it does not get trapped under a leg strap and the girls the chest strap was dependent on the size of their "GIRLS"... Also told them I'm not gay or a molester...:wink: It was my job to make sure the harness fit right and they were safe... From young hot bodies to 60+ LESS than hot were all dressed the same... People have fallen to their death because of ill fitting gear....

Scuba gear is the same thing.... I'll see divers with weight belts rigged wrong, BCD harness twisted and or ill fitted, hoses miss routed.... Now, If the person checking a young girls gear is not also check the 58 yr old guy with the speedo and potbelly then I'd say something....

Jim...

Single and dive on my own often. Underwater groping isn't the main issue - it's the overly solicitous assisting with gear while still on the boat. I like getting my gear on my own but this is where the gropers also get their chance and don't back off unless you almost yell at them to. And of course back on land after the dive, things get worse. Somehow diving-when-single means open-for-creeps.

Single and dive on my own often. Underwater groping isn't the main issue - it's the overly solicitous assisting with gear while still on the boat. I like getting my gear on my own but this is where the gropers also get their chance and don't back off unless you almost yell at them to. And of course back on land after the dive, things get worse. Somehow diving-when-single means open-for-creeps.

Never experienced the dreaded groper and am very thankful for that..............my filters would shut down.......enough said. Lol

It's never happened to me, but the fact that I'm north of 50 and always dive with my husband may have something to do with it! 😉

Same here but no, I have never even felt uncomfortable in that way. Some times another diver is a little "talkative" for my taste but that's about it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom