Group Travel: Points of Contention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It's fun to travel with friends, but things always come up. What are you "forced to do" when trying to be reasonable with your friends?

I am trying to explain to my friends that I don't want to be seen on Maui in a bright yellow rental Hummer. :lotsalove: (unless my bike will fit on the roof, or somebody's lap, so I guess it's negotiable) I vote for the Blazer, but so far I am losing.

As long as I don't have to eat in air conditioning or have to pay to eat at Morton's past my bedtime, I'll be okay....unless somebody drives like an idiot, or talks too loud at dinner, or gripes about me taking too long to get ready, or mocks my baggage.

Dining choices and the timing of meals.

eating too late does not agree with me

catherine96821:
eating too late does not agree with me

Me either.

I also dislike others' hidden agendas and the feeling of being manipulated into doing something I'm not interested in "because everyone else is doing/going". If I say no, I'm seen as a b!tch and if I say yes, I'm putting everyone else's needs before my own.

If I say no, I'm seen as a b!tch
...exactly. But being seen in a Hummer is even worse. (isn't it?)

catherine96821:
...exactly. But being seen in a Hummer is even worse. (isn't it?)

I think you might be right Catherine :wink: I don't like them either.

and bright YELLOW...ugh
could it be any worse? sigh, does this mean I am a reverse poser?

Funny this thread should come up now because I'm planning a trip with 9 of my friends this Thankgiving to Roatan.

I think the only givens are money and time - i.e., what's everybody's budget and how long do we want to be there. There are some things that make economical sense to do as a group (like charter a sail boat) but otherwise, people should be free to do as they please and not be guilted into doing things. Vacations cost a lot of money and I know I would much rather do my own thing and separate from the group if necessary then be resentful in the end.

And a yellow hummer would definitely be a deal-breaker for me.

scratchmyback:
Me either.

I also dislike others' hidden agendas and the feeling of being manipulated into doing something I'm not interested in "because everyone else is doing/going". If I say no, I'm seen as a b!tch and if I say yes, I'm putting everyone else's needs before my own.

We should go on a trip together. Too bad we live so far apart...

If my LDS books a liveaboard next year sometime (Blackbeards) would you (and Rob) be interested?

I'm a fan of doing your own thing- Tobermory was really the first group trip I've been on in a long time. I tried to do my own thing, but there really wasn't time for all that. I'm kind of a loner by nature- so the group thing is a little intimidating for me. I was pleasantly surprised at how well everyone seemed to get along. For all I know they all thought I was a nut case.

Steve- any comments on that and I will hunt you down and kick you in the shin. Please note: I have very, very bad aim. :wink:

trucker girl:
We should go on a trip together. Too bad we live so far apart...

If my LDS books a liveaboard next year sometime (Blackbeards) would you (and Rob) be interested?

I'm a fan of doing your own thing- Tobermory was really the first group trip I've been on in a long time. I tried to do my own thing, but there really wasn't time for all that. I'm kind of a loner by nature- so the group thing is a little intimidating for me. I was pleasantly surprised at how well everyone seemed to get along. For all I know they all thought I was a nut case.

Steve- any comments on that and I will hunt you down and kick you in the shin. Please note: I have very, very bad aim. :wink:

It was really hard to find personal time. I hope you're on every group trip I make because you're a great buddy to have in the water and fabulous on surface intervals.
:giveusahu

As for nuts, I'd like to be a pistachio. C'mon, they're green! How great is that?

Back
Top Bottom