Group Travel: Points of Contention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Ever seen that food coloring in gel form? Squirt some red into the left bootie, some green into the right bootie. It's only really funny after they take them off post dive.

Would that work in a chlorinated swimming pool, or is there obvious color seepage? And if there is seepage, would blue blend with the pool wall color?

Oh, and assuming the dive boots are dry, will the gel be noticed?

catherine96821:
It's fun to travel with friends, but things always come up. What are you "forced to do" when trying to be reasonable with your friends?

I am trying to explain to my friends that I don't want to be seen on Maui in a bright yellow rental Hummer. :lotsalove: (unless my bike will fit on the roof, or somebody's lap, so I guess it's negotiable) I vote for the Blazer, but so far I am losing.

As long as I don't have to eat in air conditioning or have to pay to eat at Morton's past my bedtime, I'll be okay....unless somebody drives like an idiot, or talks too loud at dinner, or gripes about me taking too long to get ready, or mocks my baggage.
hey Catherine... how about next trip we ALL wear one of these!!! :rofl3:

http://www.laraines.com/covandbod.html
laraines_1963_52967683

catherine96821:
It's fun to travel with friends, but things always come up. What are you "forced to do" when trying to be reasonable with your friends?

I am trying to explain to my friends that I don't want to be seen on Maui in a bright yellow rental Hummer (unless my bike will fit on the roof, or somebody's lap, so I guess it's negotiable). I vote for the Blazer, but so far I am losing.

As long as I don't have to eat in air conditioning or have to pay to eat at Morton's past my bedtime, I'll be okay....unless somebody drives like an idiot, or talks too loud at dinner, or gripes about me taking too long to get ready, or mocks my baggage.

Travelling with a group always involves compromises of sorts. And if you are ultra-sensitive about things, it can seem difficult. And you do sound really sensitive, Cat.

I don't like Hummers either. They waste gas and they are designed to pull howitzers, therefore in my view inappropriate for civilian adaptation, same as an armoured personnel carrier. But others seem to like them a lot, for whatever reason.

I believe they are safer than Jeeps, however, since Hummers do not easily roll over, and since Hawaii has a lot of 4WD roads, I can see where the Hummers would be popular there.

The last time I travelled with a group, there were 2 or 3 different people who made things very miserable for everyone else. The worst one of those was told by the diving op that he was not welcomed back. He had scared off most of the pelagics, and he had ranted about DIR the whole trip. I have not seen him around the store since. The other two, we sort of put up with, because they were a cute couple, and they looked good together, even though individually obnoxious.

The time before that, everything went great throughout the whole trip. So maybe its just the law of averages, and some trips average out good while others average out really bad?

The last 2 times that I travelled alone, and joined up with a group that I did not know at all, both times, it was perfect! Sometimes it seems like it is easier to get along with strangers than with friends.

I think you should relax and enjoy the Hummer. After all, youre not being forced to buy it.

almitywife:
hey Catherine... how about next trip we ALL wear one of these!!! :rofl3:
laraines_1963_52967683
I was on a liveaboard where someone had one of those. She spent alot of time taking pictures under the boat. While she was down there one day all the guys modeled her shirt and hammed it up. The video from that trip was excellent.

I should add, the best part was when they showed the video at the end of the trip and she saw it, since of course no one had told her what they'd done. :D

I took my entire family, my children and their spouses and my grandkids to Hawaii last November. The only thing I required was a daily family breakfast and dinner together on three of the seven nights. Other than that, all family units were on their own. Turns out, it was the best family trip ever.

I’m not a fan of cruises or group trips because I like doing my own thing, whenever I want to do it. I could care less about the rental as long as it’s fairly priced and holds the dive gear for me and my wife.

Dave

ive never been on a drive trip with a group - hubby and i have always done our trips on our own but ive always found the group thing funny

last dive trip i saw an alpha male with his lds newbies and they wouldnt even eat breakfast unless he joined them or put their gear together until he said they could :shakehead:

i would need at least SOME independance if in a group - but i will find out what its like next year when we do Solomans

Back
Top Bottom