Group Travel: Points of Contention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the biggest things are cancellations...making sure everyone knows the rules up front and agree to them...make sure you have contingencies, if the group is large enough, someone will back out...

Having said that, I´m going on a liveaboard in the red sea with a whole group of friends, we´ve chartered the boat so it´s only people who are "vouched for" (I only know 3 or for of them)...I´ve done three liveaboards before and spending a week 24/7 with people you don´t know before you board may sound a bit intimidating but I´ve had no issues and only one or two people have had "disagreements"...

It does tend to require a bit self-control though. Always ask yourself if what you are about to say is likely to change the behaviour that annoys you and if the person seems open to change, if the answer is no then go somewhere else and cool off...

catherine96821:
and bright YELLOW...ugh
could it be any worse? sigh, does this mean I am a reverse poser?

Funny, one of those is parked in a driveway a couple blocks from my new house. I thought of you when I drove by yesterday. If you decide to go with the group in the Hummer I think we can all forgive you. I'm pretty sure I could hear your protests from here :wink:

trucker girl:
We should go on a trip together. Too bad we live so far apart...

If my LDS books a liveaboard next year sometime (Blackbeards) would you (and Rob) be interested?

Oh, I'm so there TG - tell me when!

catherine96821:
"...I'll be okay....unless somebody mocks my baggage."
"Mocks your baggage"?? :D

Public mockery annoys you? :wink:

As in "Niiiiiice - a bright pink mesh dive bag with 'Your Boyfriend Knows My Name!' on it in green glitter!"??

or as in "Sheesh - we need to leave a lava lamp on all night because you're afraid of the DARK??!"?

(Our dive trips are sort of unending sagas comprised of endless public mockery, insults, and juvenile humor on a level roughly of "Porky's II"! There is no mercy shown whatever, and blood in the water only incites additional frenzy. Anyone showing an adverse reaction to public mockery or intermural bozonity likely wouldn't survive the trip...) [On the other hand, anyone who didn't want to hang with the group would be in for so much concentrated grief that "wanting your personal space" simply wouldn't be worth the effort! We go diving to escape each other. Underwater we can't hear each other bi*ch and whine! (U/W is a different story, its all business until we're back on the boat...)]

I think a bright yellow Hummer, while it would be a good foundation for some really raunchy jokes at the expense of the driver, would be the least of any of our worries! :D

catherine96821:
I am trying to explain to my friends that I don't want to be seen on Maui in a bright yellow rental Hummer. (unless my bike will fit on the roof, or somebody's lap, so I guess it's negotiable)
Would that be a bright yellow HUMVEE (which would be fine) or one of the poser H2s (which would not)?:D

Doc Intrepid:
Public mockery annoys you? (Our dive trips are sort of unending sagas comprised of endless public mockery, insults, and juvenile humor on a level roughly of "Porky's II"! There is no mercy shown whatever, and blood in the water only incites additional frenzy. Anyone showing an adverse reaction to public mockery or intermural bozonity likely wouldn't survive the trip...) [On the other hand, anyone who didn't want to hang with the group would be in for so much concentrated grief that "wanting your personal space" simply wouldn't be worth the effort! We go diving to escape each other. Underwater we can't hear each other bi*ch and whine! (U/W is a different story, its all business until we're back on the boat...)

:rofl3: :lotsalove:

Or, apparently you limit your travelling companions to divers. Wet, soggy-:mooner:'d divers.

OP: If you go on a dive trip, don't travel with vacationers who are doing some diving. :no

:D

Ah true, true!

ONLY travel with divers.

Traveling with vacationers who may, once or twice, decide to dive (on the morning boat to the shallow reefs close in), will involve you in lengthy debates over whether we want the buffet or the early bird special, and how far we don't want to walk, and 'oh, I want to go into this shop for just a minute' (repeated repeatedly), and a host of issues guaranteed to drive you out of your mind. And no kids! Traveling with immature adults who hour by hour are personifying the old sayings about "men never mature much beyond the age of six, they just get thicker and lose their hair", or "it's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood", is bad enough. At least you can smack them when they whine in restaurants, unlike tired kids. :wink:

Traveling with vacationers who are diver posers really makes you wish you'd stayed home and cleaned the carburetor on your lawn mower instead...

Doc Intrepid:
ONLY travel with divers.

Ever seen that food coloring in gel form? Squirt some red into the left bootie, some green into the right bootie. It's only really funny after they take them off post dive.

Brightens up the mood of any old sour-puss.

RoatanMan:
Ever seen that food coloring in gel form? Squirt some red into the left bootie, some green into the right bootie. It's only really funny after they take them off post dive.

Brightens up the mood of any old sour-puss.

Hmmm. That could be fun on our next liveaboard!

To quote Mick Jagger,

"You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need "

It's a good attitude to have when traveling with groups. Of course there may be 1 or 2 people that insist things being their way, which can ruin a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom