Grouper Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Little Cayman in early July and we were warned prior to one dive that they had been experiencing some aggressive behavior from at least one grouper that resided on that site, can't recall which site though.

I had several close encounters with groupers that week that were not by my choosing, usually them swimming just below my stomach and me not noticing until I bumped them while reaching for my computer. Luckily for me I didn't experience anything aggressive, that doesn't sound fun.

Wow. There are quite a few friendly groupers in the Marine Park. Sounds like this one is a little too friendly.

Wow.

What did the DMs say about that? Any other such incidents?

The DMs had forewarned us only about the groupers being a bit "touchy-feely"; that we were of course to touch nothing in the marine park except the grouper, because they touch you. Nothing about aggressive behavior. They did warn of grouper fights if one grouper followed you into another grouper's territory, but we did not see this.

How big is your daughter? How big was the grouper?

My daughter is 16 yrs old and perhaps 5' 5" - not tiny but an XS BC size. The grouper was perhaps 30", possibly a bit smaller but one of the bigger ones around at the time. I posted a photo of the incident on the duplicate thread along with the two previous images which I am certain are of the same fish. I am at work so cannot repost them here right now.

As kgcase_4 indicated, there were lots of grouper encounters with all divers throughout the week in the marine park. We became used to them, which made what occurred on the 6th day of diving there all the more surprising.

might he have been going after the tag end of her mask strap, thinking it was food????

Possible, I guess, but I don't think so - See the photo of the attack on the other thread - I will repost it here later - it shows her mask strap up over the top of her head / face after the grouper took it off. She wears a yellow and black hair band over the back of her mask strap.

One of the divers on our trip also encountered the "friendly" grouper. He tried to bite her do-rag. Then he proceeded to get in everyone's face.

Back
Top Bottom