Grouper ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mntlblok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Even though that is just a little girl...I am going to go with Scamp Mycteroperca phenax the most distinguishing characteristic from those shots is the caudal fin. Yellow mouths have extended rays on the caudal that are fairly uniform and give it more of a comb appearance. While scamp have longer upper and lower rays.

Even though that is just a little girl...I am going to go with Scamp Mycteroperca phenax the most distinguishing characteristic from those shots is the caudal fin. Yellow mouths have extended rays on the caudal that are fairly uniform and give it more of a comb appearance. While scamp have longer upper and lower rays.

Thank you. However, unless I'm reading this wrong, it seems like you're making more of an argument for it being a yellow mouth, no? IMG_3431qre | Flickr - Photo Sharing! seems more "comb-like" on the tail fin to me. . .

Kevin

The fish pictures is a fairly small female...as they grow the filaments get longer. However even at this size you can see that the filaments near the upper and lower margins are longer and there are hardly any showing in the center.
Here is one of the better pictures showing the difference.
http://www.charlestonfishing.com/fishid/grouper/scamp.jpg

The fish pictures is a fairly small female...as they grow the filaments get longer. However even at this size you can see that the filaments near the upper and lower margins are longer and there are hardly any showing in the center.
Here is one of the better pictures showing the difference.
http://www.charlestonfishing.com/fishid/grouper/scamp.jpg

Aha! I think the anal fin makes yer point even better. Thanks. *And*, you can almost find both "anal" and "fin" in the word "filaments". :D

Kevin

Aha! I think the anal fin makes yer point even better.

Scratch that. Finally noted the *ends* of the "interior" teeth of the comb. :D

Kevin

Even though that picture states otherwise...M. interstitialis can get an elongated anal fin...generally not to the extent of M. phenax

Here, this might help...this was taken in the northern gulf:

grouper10001.JPG

grouper1201.JPG

grouper_9601.JPG

grouper901.JPG

grouper800.JPG

Last edited:
Mycteroperca interstitialis is not restricted in range to S. Florida. They have been identified up the east coast to S. Carolina, and around the gulf including LA, Texas Flower gardens and the Campeche peninsula. I have seen them personally in the elbow (just south of the Florida Middle Grounds, as well as many other places around the west atlantic

Puffer, which species were those Identified to? I believe they are all Scamp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom