Groupon Deal Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am back with progress. So I have heard that the University of Miami has an excellent program and I contacted the president of their club. I am not able to take classes there because i'm not a student but she did give me the name of an instructor she has personally used and reccomended. I contacted him and he is not affiliated with a dive shop but he does do certification and he told me the price for a private lesson would be around 300 and 2 or more people in a group 275 each plus 100 for the 2 boat trips for open water dives(50 each time 2 dives in each trip) and he was able to provide everything. Although he did recommend purchasing my own snorkel, fins, and stuff because that is a matter of comfort but he did have a variety to choose from.

I asked him how his classes are layed out and he told me that what he does is go over the material and then pool sessions. I asked him if he would charge extra if we needed any more instruction and he said no, the price for the course is what it is and it is completed in however long it takes the individual. He seemed like a very patient instructor as well and a nice guy from what I gathered over our phone conversation.

I am probably going to skip out on the groupon just because I like the idea of a more one on one class. However I wouldn't want to do it alone and don't really know anyone looking to get certified that hasnt been already sooooo. Maybe I can organize a few people on here in the MIA area that want to become certified eh eh? :snorkel:

Us Independent instructors often can save you a few bucks and give just as good, if not better in many cases, instruction. We don't answer to any shop owner, set our own prices and schedules, and have the time and inclination to make sure you know what you are doing. Why? Because the diver you are coming out of my class is a direct reflection of my skills and knowledge. My name is on your card. Not a shop's. So the better you look the better I look.

You get what you pay for. You want cheap, you get crap. Stay away from groupon and find a good instructor, and you'll have a better time. If you're worried about not liking scuba, then take a discover scuba course like others have suggested.

It's not that I am worried about it per se because I am looking more and more into it and it seems really fun and I am already picturing all the beautiful places I would be able to dive in I was just hesitant because of the price and the groupon horrors I have heard.

I am going to shop around for a few more instructors and maybe find someone who wants to do it with me but I will probably be going with a private instructor for sure.

Thanks for all the help in here!

It's not that I am worried about it per se because I am looking more and more into it and it seems really fun and I am already picturing all the beautiful places I would be able to dive in I was just hesitant because of the price and the groupon horrors I have heard.

I am going to shop around for a few more instructors and maybe find someone who wants to do it with me but I will probably be going with a private instructor for sure.

good call!

Honestly i heard alot of bad things about miami before i even started diving. Like the instructors suck and don't care and the dive sites suck compared to ft lauderdale and more up north in pompano/jupiter but idk that could just be **** talking from other instructors. Anyways i wrote that huge paragraph for you as a recommendation. I can also give you the contact info of my instructor whos probably in his 40's or 50's and has done over 1,000 dives, he does private lessons as well and i believe he has other students you might be able to pair so its a more intimate class. But i think youll have more fun and see more things if you make the 20 min drive north

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Buying a used regulator is exactly like buying a new one. You do research, find out if it's a good reg for service/price/breathability and make your decision. I've now bought 8 regs, used. They have all been fantastic. I've bought enough equipment to fully outfit no less than 5 divers with regs and BCs for less than $800. That's a whole lot better than $100-200 savings. Besides, as others have said here and in many other threads, a reg is used the moment it hits the water, whether you bought it first or someone else did. Get it serviced by a tech/shop you trust and it's exactly the same.

To the OP: there's nothing wrong with WalMart snorkel sets. If you buy the US Divers brand (important distinction) the masks are the same as dive-quality masks and fins are fins, to at least get you started. Why spend $200-$300 when you can spend $40 and decide later what you actually like/need. Some people like split fins, some like Rockets, some like Jets, some like split Jets, and they all cost an insane amount of money if you're buying new. I started diving with a snorkel set I bought for less than $40 and it's still my preferred mask and fins. I don't really use the snorkel much anymore but when I do, I still use that snorkel.

Also, as with regs, used deals can be had for a good price. Hell I just picked up 2 pairs of jet fins in good condition and I'll gladly sell you one for a good price. (Less than the WalMart set mentioned above but without mask and snorkel. I can probably find those too for a few bucks--literally--more though I recommend trying masks on before you buy.) Again, I've just purchased 2 sets of regs, 4 sets of fins, a few masks, 30 pounds of weights and some other equipment for less than $100. All in diveable condition. Some is in better shape than others but still all useable.

Anyone who tells you it costs $200+ for "personal gear" doesn't do a lot of comparison shopping. hell I bought a brand new pair of Tusa Extreme III splits (or whatever they are called similar to that) for $60. You can find the deals if you look. Even shops tend to give a "discount" to students, though they may not provide that for groupon-based classes.

If you're on a budget and especially if you're not sure you'll like diving, why not really save your money? You'll be much better off buying inexpensive equipment than you will be buying inexpensive instruction.

Thanks for the info. I actually havent bought a regulator yet and was going to go used until i was scorned and had to promise that ill never buy used gear because my life is precious. lol so my question is, why would people who are not making any money off of me tell me this? Anyways where do you get your used gear? craigslist?

Honestly i heard alot of bad things about miami before i even started diving. Like the instructors suck and don't care and the dive sites suck compared to ft lauderdale and more up north in pompano/jupiter but idk that could just be **** talking from other instructors. Anyways i wrote that huge paragraph for you as a recommendation. I can also give you the contact info of my instructor whos probably in his 40's or 50's and has done over 1,000 dives, he does private lessons as well and i believe he has other students you might be able to pair so its a more intimate class. But i think youll have more fun and see more things if you make the 20 min drive north

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Thanks for the info. I actually havent bought a regulator yet and was going to go used until i was scorned and had to promise that ill never buy used gear because my life is precious. lol so my question is, why would people who are not making any money off of me tell me this? Anyways where do you get your used gear? craigslist?

Yeah Miami isnt the most stunning place to dive. I asked this instructor what areas he services and he told me he has gone to the Keys, up to Jupiter/ Pompano. I should ask him if he would have a problem doing the open dives up there. As far as the pool sessions and such well a pool is a pool!

it depends on where you dive in miami ... the cemetery in Biscayne is nice but small. Lots of shore diving in broward though. come up to Hollywood or Lauderdale by the Sea -- lots of divers around :)

US Diver's gear is okay and serviceable - you won't get the power in the fins like you would from a pair of Hollis F1's but it's reasonable priced. Personally my vote is you to come up & take the course with Gold Coast Scuba - they do 5 OW dives (incl 1 shore dive) since so much shore diving is available here. I'd recommend Brian or Casey any day!

whatever you do -- make sure the mask & fins FIT properly and are decent quality.. brand is a personal preference and shop around the shops -- not all of them carry the same brands but all will let you try on the gear for fit

Yeah Miami isnt the most stunning place to dive. I asked this instructor what areas he services and he told me he has gone to the Keys, up to Jupiter/ Pompano. I should ask him if he would have a problem doing the open dives up there. As far as the pool sessions and such well a pool is a pool!

W.e dude, your choice. I would definitely do 1 shore dive and 1 boat dive so you know what it is to lug you equip back up after the shore dive.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

it depends on where you dive in miami ... the cemetery in Biscayne is nice but small. Lots of shore diving in broward though. come up to Hollywood or Lauderdale by the Sea -- lots of divers around :)

US Diver's gear is okay and serviceable - you won't get the power in the fins like you would from a pair of Hollis F1's but it's reasonable priced. Personally my vote is you to come up & take the course with Gold Coast Scuba - they do 5 OW dives (incl 1 shore dive) since so much shore diving is available here. I'd recommend Brian or Casey anyday!

How much are they charging for AOW?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom