Groupon Deal Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So this has probably been asked but I am in a bit of a hurry. I saw a groupon for scuba diving and it is for an open water certification with 1 classroom session, a pool session, and 4 open water dives. The groupon price is 200 for the listed above and everything is included except for a snorkel,mask,and fins. I just wanted to verify this so I called the actual scuba place and spoke to one of the trainers. She told me that on top of the price i would have to pay a 75 dollar fee for the academic material as well as purchase my own equipment. Ok sounds good. When I asked her how much the scuba gear I need to purchase costs she told me an average quality set would be around 245.

My questions:
1. Is this an overall good price for certification? I live in Miami and this is a PADI course that averages around 445 reg price + 75 for materials.

2. Is this person trying to take advantage of me and make me purchase an above average quality scuba set? Obviously I am not trying to go scuba diving with a walmart set of fins I purchased for 20 dollars but surely as a beginner and someone who merely plans to do this recreationally or may not even enjoy the experience there has to be a cheaper option.

I am really excited to do this especially with the seemingly great price but I am not willing to spend 200 dollars on a set of fins, snorkel, and mask. For all I know I do this and say never again and I am left with expensive gear. I mean if I like it and want to make it a reg thing I would invest in better gear sure but what do you guys think?

1 classroom and 1 pool session sounds like a violation of standards to me ... An 8 hour day may enable you to pass the exam. An 8 hour pool session is a real tough cookie. I don't have the instructor manual handy but I'm pretty sure a one day pool session is a no go.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Desire HD A9191 met Tapatalk

If you are in college in Miami, I would bet you can either take the class though your college and get certified all the way to AOW, or they have a club that can get you a good student deal. In Miami I would say shop around, the Groupon deal probably isn't great if it is only 2 sessions.

Last edited:
Here in NY when a person asks about gear purchase of mask-snorkel-fins-boots- I advise costs run $250-$350...As to a ow course for $200. that includes the 4 dives..I cannot see how that can be offered. even if only all is done in 1 academic session and 1 pool session, which is really pushing it. Can it be done? Sure it can. Can someone actually be safe to dive after that? Yeah, if they are real water people to begin with and have absolutely no issues. Not recommended because general public will not be able to do this. If it is a PADI course you will need to own text book-log book-rdp that cost $67.You are required to watch video-if you are required to own it by the LDS then that is another $35. so right there we are up to $100. invested in course. Now a certification card ,figure $25. That leaves only $75 to pay the instructor,pay for pool use,insurance,gear depreciation,etc..I would not do it if I ran the facility. You advertise the cheapest course and what you get as a customer is a client that does not spend any money and argues about having to buy a minimal set of basic personal gear. If you think $245. is too much for personal gear,even while getting a course with the training dives included for only $200. diving is not in your future. Our price for a group setting ow course is $269. for academic and pool only.NOT THE MOST EXPENSIVE FOR THIS AREA.Still need to own learning materials(crewpack+dvd=$105.)need to own mask/snkl/fins/boots..the 4 ow training dives cost $239. and includes rental tanks/bcd/regulator/weights.student pays entry fee to dive site-cost for weekend there about $75,Student to also own for the dives a compass/gloves/cutting tool-cost about $150. So for around $1,000+. that is the total cost locally here in NY. You can see how a $200. course is unrealistic.

The price is good. The instruction may be adequate IF you do all the reading and knowledge reviews before you show up, the class session is at least a few hours long ( like 4 to 8), and the pool session is a minimum of four hours ( 8 would be more appropriate. ) Also, I would inquire about class size. Groupon deals are used to bring in big numbers, and so you should ask if they limit class size. That is a big deal.
DivemasterDennis

As others have pointed out I have just started my OW certification and I got a good deal and am doing it on a budget. Still $200 dollars is cheap. My cost Tutition and Ceritification on a 25% off discount $123.00. PIC Card for PADI $20.00. My equipment to be purchased $202.00. PADI Materials $53.00, SCUBA Rental becasue a student $45.00 for the month of the course and Dive Boat ticket with Air/Food $125.00, for a grand total of $568.00. Again this was budgeting and purchasing things over the course of a few months while on special so if you can get it for $200 and then equipement for another $200 you are getting a good deal.

So this has probably been asked but I am in a bit of a hurry. I saw a groupon for scuba diving and it is for an open water certification with 1 classroom session, a pool session, and 4 open water dives. The groupon price is 200 for the listed above and everything is included except for a snorkel,mask,and fins. I just wanted to verify this so I called the actual scuba place and spoke to one of the trainers. She told me that on top of the price i would have to pay a 75 dollar fee for the academic material as well as purchase my own equipment. Ok sounds good. When I asked her how much the scuba gear I need to purchase costs she told me an average quality set would be around 245.

My questions:
1. Is this an overall good price for certification? I live in Miami and this is a PADI course that averages around 445 reg price + 75 for materials.

2. Is this person trying to take advantage of me and make me purchase an above average quality scuba set? Obviously I am not trying to go scuba diving with a walmart set of fins I purchased for 20 dollars but surely as a beginner and someone who merely plans to do this recreationally or may not even enjoy the experience there has to be a cheaper option.

I am really excited to do this especially with the seemingly great price but I am not willing to spend 200 dollars on a set of fins, snorkel, and mask. For all I know I do this and say never again and I am left with expensive gear. I mean if I like it and want to make it a reg thing I would invest in better gear sure but what do you guys think?

Shark Bait,

Your questions:
Overall this is a good price for the PADI OW certification. By going to Groupon the Dive Operator is losing about 65% gross. I think you should go into the class with an agreement with the dive instructor on what happens if you need more than one day confined water (a.k.a. pool class) or 4 open water dives to adequately learn your skills. While this is definitely not the norm, it does happen from time-time (it took me six open water dives to complete all of the skills 'cause I kept getting sea sick). You do not want an instructor who will pass you no matter what just to meet a time schedule. You want to be certified as a competent OW diver. Ask the question how much will it cost if you remotely do need more dive time. Most OW diver trainees complete the PADI OW course within the time frame outlined in your Groupon just fine.

Second, even if your desires are to just be a good recreational diver, the PADI OW is nothing more than a very basic fundamentals course. Take the Advance Open Water course, several specialty courses in subjects that you like. Search out a good GUE Fundamentals course. And most of all keep diving for there is nothing like experience to make you a better diver today than you were yesterday.

I do not think the dive operator/vendor is taking advantage of you; Groupons are designed to encourage lifelong customers. While it might seem that the initial investment in quality dive equipment might seem high, if maintained well, it will last you a long time. Invents in a "good" fitting mask. Perhaps the vendor will let you try several out in a pool prior to buying one. I have masks that range up to $200 and it seems like my favorite is a good quality (Aqualung), but generic $60 I bought in the Middle East after using one in an aquarium dive. I would also consider open heel fins. These require the use of a boot. But you might not always be diving from a boat, but from shore and the boot is well worth the extra $30. Some vendors will push the little more expensive split fins (I have three pair and love them), but they are not necessary to have an enjoyable dive experience. Like most have already said, the mask and fins should be COMFORTABLE, but do not need to be top end ($$$ :no: ).

With a Groupon OW Course, ,most likely you are going to get the bare minimum of instruction required for the PADI OW course, but that could be said for most PADI OW courses. As previously mentioned, if you have access to a college/university course, your instruction should be longer, but more thorough and with a lot of additional information. It possible might incorporate the OW and the AOW into one course and I would suggest taking one of these over just the OW course.

But whatever route you choose to take, know that you are getting started in the wonderful world of scuba diving and the fun is about to begin. Good luck with your course and happy bubbles. :yeahbaby:

~Oldbear~
:bounce4:

I don't think that Groupon is necessarily bad. However, it seems that there are dive shops and instructors that are willing to cut corners in order to make a profit.

I remember reading one thread where in a class full of Groupon customers, nobody in the class was able to pass the required skills in the allotted time, and were required to pay for additional pool time (at the 'regular' rate, not the Groupon rate) in order to be certified. I think it is highly unlikely for a whole class to fail, unless there is just not enough time.

With only 1 classroom session, you may want to ask how much independent / online study and testing is being done. IMHO 1 classroom session is very insufficient. The only way that I see it working is having you do all of the studying on your own and then getting together to do the examination ... or a marathon all-day class, which means that you won't really retain much of the later parts of the class

Also, 1 pool session would probably only work if you don't have any equipment issues (ie you are a perfect fits with whatever the shop happens to bring that day for exposure protection and BCD and the mask, fins, boots that you previously bought also fit you without any need for changes. It also means that you will have to the required number of gear set-ups, entries, skills all in one very long (again all day) session. Not only would I ask questions about anyone's ability to do it safely in one day, I wonder how tired the instructor(s) will be at the end of it and whether or not they will be at the top of their game after the 8th or so hour.

Of course, if the 'group' happens to be only you or one other person and you both can learn quickly ... it might work.

An additional question that you may want to ask the 'groupon' is for a list of people who took the same deal over the last several months and contact them to see their thoughts on the pace of the course.

I have verified it and it says it has 4 open water dives. Thanks for all the responses. I was going to call and ask about class sizes because after I hung up with them I did in fact see some groupon threads and would like to avoid that fiasco of instruction. I'm not sure what to do because this seems like something I would really enjoy but I am on a budget I am a college student and only work part time. Does anyone know any other places I can get a quality certification in the Miami/ South Florida area?

Also I don't mind purchasing the equipment it's just I am not sure how much time I will have for scuba in my realistic life between school and work. I just want to make sure it will be worth it before I spend an easy 400-600 dollars on this

Ok so since we are in the same area and i was in the same predicament as you i will give you my advice. For some reason, tons of groupons have been popping up for scuba diving in our area. I guess the industry is hurting. So i did a lot of research because getting certified is something ive wanted to do for a long time. I went with the Scuba network groupon, and i am so happy i did. The groupon was $150 and it included your open water certification and online academic portion of the course. I found the price too good to be true so i had to do some more research, i just couldn’t help but think there wasnt a hidden cost. Every single thing was included except the wetsuit. So i didn’t have to purchase anything if i did not want to, wetsuit rental was $8 a day. Because a mask, fins, and snorkel are all pretty much customized for the diver i ended up buying those items and a few other things. The day i went to sign up for the course i bought a mask, fins, snorkel, gloves, slap strap, spit for the mask, and booties for my fins. Everything i purchased was good gear (mares and tilos) and i ended up paying around $250 for the gear. Again all the gear is provided with the groupon so i didn’t have to, but i wanted to. I did my certification in a 4 day class that was put together for the New Year holiday, it started on Thursday the 27th and ended on the Sunday the 30th of December. I don’t think they do it like this always, i think other classes are spread out more but the 4 day option is available during holidays i believe.

Day 1- I went in to sign up for the course and received my online access book to start my online course at home.
Day 2(not actually the 2nd day, it took me about a week to finish the online stuff but it can be done online in 8 hours i think) - I had to come back to the dive shop after i finished to do a review with one of the instructors. After my review we started to pick out gear i wanted to buy, and started to fit for my BC and rental of my tank reg and other things.
Day 3- Our first meet up at the pool. It was freezing, but thank god the water was heated. There was 6 people in my class with the instructor. Let me start by saying the instructor was not a slack off and was very serious about diving (instructor Randy). We started with instruction of how to put our gear together and then jumped right into the pool to do our required swim skills. I believe we swam 6 laps so (300 meters), which you were able to use any stroke. Im not the best swimmer but i wouldn’t die if I had to swim for my life, needless to say i did the backstroke most of the way. After the free swim we were given a little bit of time to catch breathes and then we had to tread water for 10 mins if i remember correctly, not floating. The swim test showed me how out of shape i am, lol. After the swim test we got into our scuba gear and started instruction in the pool. I learned so many things that i would of never thought scuba had so much involved. From the stuff we learned, we were then tested 1 by 1 until we did the skill correctly (clear mask under water, no mask swim, etc). We spent 4 hours at the pool and i went home pretty tired but excited.
Day 4- Another day at the pool. We were first tested on if we remember how to put our gear together with no help. After our gear was set up we hoped in the pool, and had a quick review of what we learned the previous day and then started on new skills. On the second pool day we started to learn skills in the deep end, like ear squeeze, what to do in an emergency with a buddy, how to breath a free flow regulator, buoyancy control and lots of other things that i would have to sit here for forever to list. After another 4 hours at the pool i was comfortable with what the instructed taught and i was ready to do my first beach dive. Instructor randy would not give you an OK unless you could successfully complete the important skills needed to safe dive.
Day- My first beach dive! We all met up really early and put on all of our gear except fins to walk to the water. We had to swim a little way to get to where we were going under. We all waited until the other members of the group were close together and the instructor started talking about what we would do once we go under. We went under, and basically performed most of the skills we did in the pool to make sure we were comfortable with being in the ocean. After that, we used a compass to navigate and basically had a bit of free time to get comfortable in the ocean.
Day 6- Ready to boat dive! The groupon included the last shore dive but i wanted to do the boat dive so i paid an extra $60. Needless to say the charter people were great. We were given hot cocoa when we came up from the first dive and pineapple after the second dive. Back to the diving. The first dive from the boat was a wreck around 60ft and it was great. The second dive was on a reef that had LOTS of life, so much I didn’t want to come up. The instructor warned us before the dive that if we could not maintain buoyancy at the safety stop we would fail. All 6 of us passed and went back to the shop that day to have our cards printed.
Every day after the class we went back to the shop to learn how to fill out our log books and went over what we did. I fell in love with scuba diving and actually bought a BC from them after I got my c card. Im not trying to knock other shops but they seriously have the cheapest prices. For example they have the new Mares x treme fins for $115 and I think they usually retail around $160 and up. You might want to buy a wetsuit; I found it pretty nasty knowing I was wearing something other people have peed in. I learned so much from the experience and im so happy I did it. Sorry if some of my terminology is off, im a new diver. But I hope this helped you, seeing as we are neighbors.
In conclusion. The groupon was $150+$8x4 for the wesuit+ and $60 for the 4th day boat dive if you choose, is all you would be spending. I of course bought a lot of equipment so I spent a lot more but all in all I spent about the same amount to get my certification and all my gear as I would of spent on just my certification regularly, I think the certification is usually around $400. The deal gets no better. The shop is well maintained and can be trusted; they even have a lot of reviews online and have shops in new York as well. The instructor gets an A++++++++++++++ as instructor Randy was top notch and an expert at what he does, along with a passion for what he does. Every instructor there is well experienced and has been diving their whole life from a young age. After 4 days of scuba diving I was pretty exhausted!! But a good sleep brought me right back to life. I’m in the process of my AOW now. The groupon is going to end soon because they got such a overwhelming response from it that they are pretty booked up, so you would have to get it soon. They have 3 locations in Florida so can choose which shop you want to go to. I attached the link below Let me know if you have any questions.

Scuba Network Deal of the Day | Groupon Fort Lauderdale

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom