GUE and Sidemount position ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you can get all your dive gear to some far off location but can't toss a manifold and bands into you bag?

Gotta be kidding me.

It is nice that you took to your manifold with you that SE Asia and set up your doubles. If that works for you, please keep at it.

But understand that there are divers who want to be able to arrive at night somewhere, not have to mess around, but just show up to the dive boat in the morning, throw his/her SM kit together and go dive. If we want to do more than 2 dives, we don't have to get a refill, just grab regular tanks and go.

For me, that is far more optimal. I responded first to your comment as SM divers looking techy or something like that. I fail to see how being in doubles is much different.

Sidemount works great for me with travel. Works great for a small number of divers. This shouldn't be a controversial topic, certainly not one that warranted our exchange.

Will you at least give me props for not traveling with split fins? :wink:

It is nice that you took to your manifold with you that SE Asia and set up your doubles. If that works for you, please keep at it.

But understand that there are divers who want to be able to arrive at night somewhere, not have to mess around, but just show up to the dive boat in the morning, throw his/her SM kit together and go dive. If we want to do more than 2 dives, we don't have to get a refill, just grab regular tanks and go.

For me, that is far more optimal. I responded first to your comment as SM divers looking techy or something like that. I fail to see how being in doubles is much different.

Sidemount works great for me with travel. Works great for a small number of divers. This shouldn't be a controversial topic, certainly not one that warranted our exchange.

Will you at least give me props for not traveling with split fins? :wink:
Divers that wear doubles for make-pretend are no better.

Divers that wear doubles for make-pretend are no better.

What makes you think that sm or doubles divers are make pretend? Regardless, why would you care? Personally, when I'm on a dive boat, as long as someone isn't a fatality waiting to happen, I don't care

So you can get all your dive gear to some far off location but can't toss a manifold and bands into you bag?

Well, I suppose you could... if you werent competent with the skillset that'd free you from the burden and great cost of needlessly hauling dozens of kg of metal around the world using the threadbare logistics and communication apparatus of developing and 3rd world nations...

It's very ironic... because we often see an argument that sidemount is no good looking - illustrated by it often being rejected by US dive ops as "too much hassle"....

.... but then we see another argument that backmount is perfectly good - because "it's no hassle" for scuba operators to tear their cylinders down, install your personal tank hardware and change all their filling gaps and logistics operations to cater for unfamiliar, unwieldy and heavy doubles rigs.

I'm curious why there'd be a polar disparity.

One moment dive operators are intractable and resistant to cater for anything different... and yet the next moment, they welcome special requests and vastly increased logistics demands with open arms...

When in SE Asia on your vacation.... did you by chance ever have to hire jungle porters to get your equipment to a remote area site? Or hire a local fishing boat to reach a "of the trail" wreck or reef?

How did they react to the prospect of backmount doubles vs hauling single sidemount tanks?

I'm curious because, having lived and dived in SE Asia for well over a decade... I've always noted significant resistance to such requests.

Last edited:
@Dan_P how is suboptimal not less safe?

I'm saying no scientific study I've seen says it's unsafe. There's a difference which is more than semantical.

Aside from a result on a single dive profile, which compares only to a 30/80, has significant limitations, can't be extrapolated and showed no decisive statistical results apart from on a metric that we don't understand the significance of, I have not got anything indicating it's unsafe.

If you have concrete documentation to the contrary, I'll be happy to see it.

what benefits do you think ratio deco has....

Do you mean Ratio Deco 2.0 specifically, or a decompression blueprint as a more general notion?

Huh? UTD RD does not do that afaik?

All the guys on Scubaboard said it's just random numbers, right? :)

Well, I suppose you could... if you werent competent with the skillset that'd free you from the burden and great cost of needlessly hauling dozens of kg of metal around the world using the threadbare logistics apparatus of developing and 3td world nations...

It's ironic... we see an argument that sidemount is no good, because it's often rejected as "too much hassle" for scuba operators...

.... but then we see an argument that backmount is perfectly good, because "it's no hassle" for scuba operators to tear their cylinder specifications down, I stall your hardware and change all their operations to cater for huge and heavy doubles rigs...

I'm curious why there'd be a polar disparity.

When in SE Asia on your vacation.... did you by chance ever have to hire jungle porters to get your equipment to a remote area site? Or hire a local fishing boat to reach a "of the trail" wreck or reef?

How did they react to the prospect of backmount doubles vs hauling single sidemount tanks?

I'm curious because, having lived and dived in SE Asia for well over a decade... I've always noted significant resistance to such requests.
The AKEP guys do this on a regular basis. Their stuff is way out in the boonies. Somehow they manage. How can it be!?

It takes 5mins to assemble a set of doubles and hardly "dozens of kg". Skip the hyperbole.

What makes you think that sm or doubles divers are make pretend? Regardless, why would you care? Personally, when I'm on a dive boat, as long as someone isn't a fatality waiting to happen, I don't care
Do you need two tanks to do the dive? If no then why take them?

If you think you need two tanks because "I don't have a buddy" or "my buddy sucks" fix that. Then you don't need two tanks.

@Dan_P

whichever version of ratio deco you use since that's the one you are saying is better than a computer with buhlmann and custom gradient factors. So please answer the question on what advantages that it has, what disadvantages that you acknowledge that it has, and why it is better than diving with a computer with an industry accepted vs. industry rejected decompression strategy?

on advocating against deep stops
done by the navy. obviously on air decompression, but the discussion was redistributing stops from shallow to deep. UTD's ratio deco does this. NEDU says not to
Redistribution of decompression stop time from shallow to deep stops increases incidence of decompression sickness in air decompression dives

Pyle stops. Note that Pyle stops aren't a redistribution of decompression time from shallow to deep, merely a short pause at half pressure. This is usually taken care of by your bottle switching, but these are not to be confused with making a more shallow ascent schedule.
The importance of deep safety stops: Rethinking ascent patterns from decompression dives.

Bunch of important people saying not to do deep stops
Alert Diver | Deep Stops

Monstrous threads from a couple years ago on the subject with basically everyone saying to avoid them
Deep stops debate (split from ascent rate thread)
Deep Stops (rebreather dive charts)

Do you need two tanks to do the dive? If no then why take them?

If you think you need two tanks because "I don't have a buddy" or "my buddy sucks" fix that. Then you don't need two tanks.

You are not an underwater photographer, are you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom