GUE Fundamentals BP/W: Hopeless without Halcyon ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The standards are not classified
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
GUE Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
and, strictly imho, neither are the recommended brands, as you can see in the pictures.

Yes, I already have pretty much purchased the complete set of equipment that is recommend by GUE on their website and also in their book dress for success (which is very interesting but should definitely be updated).

The only piece of equipment where I still have questions is the PB/W.

You are naturally correct ... i am quite convinced of that, actually. I believe the problem that I am facing presently is possibly a regional one rather then a general one.

For some reason, it appears from the emails I have received that the Instructors in my area are not instructed or not informed about the potential value of other brands/model apart from Halcyon.

This could possibly stem either from personal idiosyncrasies, or from general written or unwritten rules specific to GUE, or from a combination of both, or any other explanation that for the moment I can't think of.
If you’re instructor says that you have to show up in Halcyon gear, he’s ignorant, don’t listen to him.
If your instructor says it would be “optimal” to show up in Halcyon gear, listen to him.

Of course there are other brands which are DIR compatible with less ridiculous prices but Halcyon, you’re paying for all the R &D, customer service, it’s made in USA (not by children) ,warranties, and peace of mind that you know it will be good quality.

Tecline, DIR zone etc

You are naturally correct ... i am quite convinced of that, actually. I believe the problem that I am facing presently is possibly a regional one rather then a general one.

For some reason, it appears from the emails I have received that the Instructors in my area are not instructed or not informed about the potential value of other brands/model apart from Halcyon.

This could possibly stem either from personal idiosyncrasies, or from general written or unwritten rules specific to GUE, or from a combination of both, or any other explanation that for the moment I can't think of.

From my perspective, there is at least one very good reason why it would be a good idea to have the same gear as everyone else is using. If yours should fail or have whatever issue, your teammates will know exactly how to help you fix it and may even have parts onsite to help you, since they know the system intimately. That’s my view.

I also think it’s “optimal” to show up in Halcyon gear (Eclipse not Infinity).

From my perspective, there is at least one very good reason why it would be a good idea to have the same gear as everyone else is using. If yours should fail or have whatever issue, your teammates will know exactly how to help you fix it and may even have parts onsite to help you, since they know the system intimately. That’s my view.

I also think it’s “optimal” to show up in Halcyon gear (Eclipse not Infinity).
It’s called standardization.

It’s called standardization.
Same brand is not standardization.

The parts that are replaceable on wings are interchangeable between my DSS wing and my buddy's Halcyon wing. If anything, a bunch of us locally swapped out the OPV on the Halcyon wing with the one DSS makes. Also, I bought a used Halcyon wing recently and swapped out the K-inflator with the generic one you can buy at DGX.

You're going to have to get used to buying stuff on the internet, that's virtually a given as you move forward in tech diving (presumably). Yes you can often get stuff from your LDS, but the reality is that there's a whole lot more diversity of gear and much of that stuff has limited distribution so you have to get creative. Unless you live in a diving mecca your LDS is unlikely to carry more than one or two options.

If you’re instructor says that you have to show up in Halcyon gear, he’s ignorant, don’t listen to him.
If your instructor says it would be “optimal” to show up in Halcyon gear, listen to him.

OK, now I understand better ... This clarifies a lot.

Actually, come to think of it, in my line of work, I am faced with a similar situation. If a student asks me to recommend a textbook in my field, there is only one answer I can give. Not because the content of the other books is either incomplete or lacking, but because the pedagogical qualities of the textbook I recommend are simply orders of magnitude better for a novice/beginner than any other existing source of theoretical and practical material at the present time.

OTOH, I am not an owner nor a shareholder of the publishing company ... :wink:

Well someone had to make quality gear for those dives..... and there was no one at the time.

Dive Rite pre-dates Halcyon by many years AFAIK, please correct me if I'm wrong. Now, I don't think we are going to say that DR doesn't make quality gear.

HINT: If a student asks if a piece of equipment is compliant with the standards for the course (standards that nowhere require to use Halcyon as a brand) and that equipment IS INDEED compliant, then the instructor HAS to state so. If they turn the model down because its brand is 'wrong', then there's an ethical problem.

That's my 2 cents as a salesman (not in the diving industry).

Way back when, you were indoctrinated into GUE, drank the cool aid and bought Halcyon. Many today, although proud of the training they passed, wear H gear as a badge of honour. A lot of GUE club pictures look like a Halcyon convention. If you want to join the club you have to wear the uniform.
This is, of course, completely ridiculous and sadly draws a type of person/diver that is more of a deterrent than an ambassador for a company.
Luckily many of the GUE guys I dive with aren’t like this and the instructors are more sensible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom