GUE Fundamentals, Fund 1 and Fund 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I noticed on the GUE site that there are three fundamentals courses, 1, 2, and Fundamentals, whats the difference?

Fundamentals is the whole shot at once. The instructor might break it up into successive weekends or something, but you are signing up for the whole class. It includes everything below. It can be done in 4 days or the instructor and whoever orgenizes the class might want to take 5 or six days to run it. Longer classes normally cost somewhat more, but cost of GUE classes is decided by each instructor.

Fundamentals 1 is most of the lectures and shows you propulsion, arranges your equipment, shows you what you are doing in the water and how to fix it so you it works better. And the swim test. This allows you to go practice correctly before you come back for fundamentals 2.

Fundamentals 2 is a lot of skills demonstration (by the student) and corrections. You schedule this when you feel ready, which is why there are a lot more fundies 1 than fundies 2 classes on the calendar. Not much lecture (at least in my experience - though the standards say there is more then I remember) and video reviews will usually be between dives at the dive site. There will be field drills where they go over things like how to do an s-drill and valve drill correctly and how to correctly deploy an SMB, and then you go in the water and do it. And if you do it correctly they keep adding things to do at the same time.

See here for the details. http://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v7.4.pdf
Page 28 starts the discussion of the courses.

Fundamentals is a 4 or 5 day course and done all in one shot.

Fundaments 1 is a 2 day course encompassing the first half of the full fundies course (gear, kicks, basic 5, buoyancy control, etc). Fundamentals 2 is a 3 day course involves the more advanced skills--shooting an DSMB, unconscious diver tow, controlled ascents/descents, etc.

I don't believe you can "fail" fundamentals 1, it is designed to introduce the concepts of GUE and give you the tools you need to develop a strong foundation of buoyancy, trim, stability, and control so that you may practice after the class has completed and before attempting fundies 2. Fundies 2 will have the normal provisional, rec pass, tech pass that a standard fundamentals course has.

Fundamentals was broken up into two parts because one of the consistent comments on QC forms was that it was ALOT of info in a very short amount of time.

Thanks,

I was kind of thinking that but thought maybe they changed things like the addition of the Rec classes 1-3. Which is interesting with the deco in the Rec 3 course I think.

Fundamentals 1 encompasses what used to be called GUE Primer (and is no longer offered). I took Primer, and followed it up with the full 4/5-day Fundamentals course, so what was taught in Primer was repeated in my Fundamentals course. Primer was a good choice for people who had never dived in the GUE-style gear configuration before (e.g., long primary hose, BP/W, etc.) and/or who wanted an introduction to the GUE way of doing things. It was all totally alien to me when I took Primer--which is why I took Primer. Even having taken Primer, I still did not manage to get a Rec Pass on my first shot at Fundamentals, as it was a brute of a course. If one is anything but completely comfortable in the GUE gear configuration, I would advise committing only as far as Fundamentals 1. It was a good move on GUE's part to break the course into two and eliminate Primer.

Thanks,

I was kind of thinking that but thought maybe they changed things like the addition of the Rec classes 1-3. Which is interesting with the deco in the Rec 3 course I think.

Fundies 1 and 2 is basically just Fundamentals split in half. The first part of Fundies was always the Primer anyway.

The Rec 3 course is a Trimix diver course requiring doubles. a stage bottle, and some deco, with a maximum depth limit of 130 feet/39 metres. It is unusual to think of a trimix diver as recreational, but really, certainly for insurance purposes, all non-commercial diving is recreational, including what we usually call technical diving.

It always bugged me no end that I am certified to teach down to 40m, but if I want to put a dash of helium in for narcosis, even on NDL diving, I need to do a bunch of tech courses. Thats why i like the GUE/UTD Rec 3 level, just made sense as an extension of rec diving without the whole Tech tree getting in the way.

Looking at the course progression chart, one can apparently take Rec 3 without a Fundies tech pass as a prerequisite. Seems odd.

That is exactly what it is for. If you have a tech pass you can take tech 1 instead. AJ had a long running thread on the old GUE forum on this, as he thought it was silly, people should just take tech 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom