GUE - Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely. No question about it. I wasn't really envisioning a single checkout dive. More like sit down and discuss diving philosophy for a couple of hours (in addition to a 'proof of concept' dive or two).

Really, I think that (diving philosophy) is my biggest concern. Hand signals, dive plans and turn pressures can get worked out pretty well between two divers with different backgrounds. What I really want to know is what your values are underwater. Are you a team player? Will we approach emergencies the same way?

That said, I do agree that it's fantastic understanding based on a specific class that someone is a good match. Hell, we did one easy beach dive together before jumping into stage decompression. But still, it's somewhat annoying that if I wanted to take Cave through GUE I'd have to jump through the GUE/F hoop.

And I couldn't agree with you more. There SHOULD be a way for someone like you to move directly into C1. The question is how GUE could effectively find such divers. I think you're hitting on the right ideas (a lot of it is philosophy; I cannot emphasize enough that GUE-F is not about skills, it's about attitude and a team approach to diving, all of which somehow gets lost in these online discussions). I'm curious how well crossing over will work for UTD.

The OP has access to like-minded divers in Vancouver/Victoria, so I would suggest diving with them and then talking about what might be good specific things to do before class. Since there's no generic answer for a budding GUE-f diver.

PM Bismark and he'll hook you up with some fun dives to help get you started.

Zahgurim, like Richard says, drop me a PM and I will make sure you get in touch with the gang in Vancouver/Vancouver Island and you will find some like minded divers and also some prospective Fundamentals buddies.....:D

The question is how GUE could effectively find such divers.

Since most GUE-trained divers seek out GUE and not the other way around, I think a simple solution is to give discretion to GUE instructors. If a Tech or Cave instructor feels that a student is capable of going directly to Tech or Cave, they should be able to facilitate that.

If there are still some gaps, they can be be addressed at an additional cost to the student (paying for the instructor's time). Naturally, the problem now become the burden this additional training puts on the rest of the class who are held in limbo during the interim.

I don't know, maybe GUE is doing is right (hah), but I think there may be a better solution.

And I couldn't agree with you more. There SHOULD be a way for someone like you to move directly into C1. The question is how GUE could effectively find such divers. I think you're hitting on the right ideas (a lot of it is philosophy; I cannot emphasize enough that GUE-F is not about skills, it's about attitude and a team approach to diving, all of which somehow gets lost in these online discussions). I'm curious how well crossing over will work for UTD.

At one time, GUE gave instructors and students the latitude to create custom GUE-f classes (e.g. 1 or 2 days, the workshop format etc). But as GUE has changed over the years and personalities changed, the GUE-f program has become very proscriptive (3 days minimum, 4 days if more than X students...)

UTD with regards to cross-overs and tailored classes, not surprisingly, is more like the GUE of 6 years ago. So the salient question to ask is what did/didn't work for GUE's old GUE-f workshops?

Some of the "didn't work" elements need to recognize that GUE's "all or nothing" Tech1 is 5 days while UTD doesn't have 5 day classes. And maybe a student can progress from Intro to Tech into UTD-Rec3 or UTD-Tech1 instead of all the way to 150ft dives in 5 days. Basically any shortcomings in someone's preparation (GUE-f or Int-to-Tech) for their next technical diving course may have different impacts when on a GUE track vs. when on a UTD track.

Personally, I think UTD gives students more time and smaller bits to work on their weaknesses. GUE has the superior cave program bar none, so its a mixed bag of choices.

You know, I could have swore there was someone in this thread who was talking about being excited about signing up for Fundies...

:)

Well, our T1 *was* seven days...

And my wreck 1 is scheduled for 5, while we're at it

You know, I could have swore there was someone in this thread who was talking about being excited about signing up for Fundies...

Nope. It is (was) about whether there is stuff to practice in anticipation of Gundies.

This has been a good read! Thanks, all. :)

I am excited at the prospect of Fundies, but am in no rush.
I'll get comfortable with my drysuit before jumping into the class. Will make for one less thing to worry about, and let me focus on the class.

Bismark, thanks for the hookup offer with Van/Van Island area divers!
Will let you know when I'm back at home to get wet. Whole point of me buying a drysuit was to be able to get wet in BC, get into winter diving, and be able to go deeper/longer in comfort.

Right now, though, I'm in Asia. Will most likely do my Fundies in Japan, or in Korea when the Korean Halcyon guys bring the Japan-area instructor over.

Nope. It is (was) about whether there is stuff to practice in anticipation of Gundies.

Well, far be it for me to impugn the second amendment!

The class vs evaluation debate will dog GUE forever.

Only the OP can know whether he/she needs to learn or merely polish. Absent any knowledge to support polishing existing skills just treating it like a class is the reasonable approach. The OP could order UTD "Intro to Tech" DVD if they wanted to see what they will be doing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom