GUE vs. TDI in terms of opportunities in scientific research projects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

penguinnn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to get into tech training but not sure about which agency to go with. There are number of TDI and GUE instructors in my area and I've heard good things about both sides. I've heard of people doing scientific projects collaborating with research centers, etc and I'm hoping I can participate in those things. I wonder if there's a significant difference in involvement in research projects between those two agencies?

Just by doing a simple Google search I could find GUE projects around the world but hard to find any TDI posts, not sure if that could conclude to GUE have more opportunities to get in touch with the scientific world...

Looking to get into tech training but not sure about which agency to go with. There are number of TDI and GUE instructors in my area and I've heard good things about both sides. I've heard of people doing scientific projects collaborating with research centers, etc and I'm hoping I can participate in those things. I wonder if there's a significant difference in involvement in research projects between those two agencies?

Just by doing a simple Google search I could find GUE projects around the world but hard to find any TDI posts, not sure if that could conclude to GUE have more opportunities to get in touch with the scientific world...
I am somewhat biased but GUE training is a great way to get started in participating in research projects. You can start learning about it here.

There are Project Baseline dive sites all over the world now and that's a great way to get started. Other than that it depends where you are located, or where you are willing to travel.

I am somewhat biased but GUE training is a great way to get started in participating in research projects. You can start learning about it here.

There are Project Baseline dive sites all over the world now and that's a great way to get started. Other than that it depends where you are located, or where you are willing to travel.
Hi thank you for your reply! Yes I've looked at the GUE website but the description seems very generic and I'm hoping to get some more anecdotal stories :D

Being in this space myself (non-profit in the US, NGO in Greece), it is my perception that for its size, GUE is disproportionately represented in projects, but by sheer numbers TDI is greater.

Why not pursue training in both to maximize your chances? GUE also has some specific courses to get their community involved.

Why not pursue training in both to maximize your chances? GUE also has some specific courses to get their community involved.
Which course are you referring to? Scientific diving?

To @penguinnn , I can only speak for GUE in Europe. Here there are literally tons of projects. I have been looking for WWII airplanes in Sicily (fundamental level sufficient for some of these dives), mapping and analyzing caves in Sardinia and in the Lot. There are several deep exploration projects in Sicily, cave and wreck projects in Spain, and I think in Malta too (not sure though, you should ask @johnkendall ). Similar level of activity in the north side of Europe (I know Belgium is pretty active). Several projects are accessible at fundamental level. Besides, you have Ghost diving, to remove fishing nets.
In short, you have marine biology, geology, archaeology, conservation projects and a few others. Most likely, you will find what you like. Be aware that, if there are no projects in your area, you might have to set up your own or travel.
One of the reasons why I joined GUE was the projects. However, I honestly don't know how active are other agencies (iantd, tdi, etc.)
Why don't you speak with the instructors in your area to get a better overview of the possibilities within each agency?

I was recruited by a Marine Biology professor at a local university as a diver for one of her studies when she found out I was taking my PADI dive master. Mostly because she knew I was a strong swimmer, calm in the water and easy to work with - she had never seen me dive, but we trained together on a Masters Swim team.

I don’t think she cared which agency her divers trained with.

My day job conflicted with the timing and I never ended up doing it.

Of the two only GUE offers projects. Not saying that there aren't projects you can join with other certifications, but they aren't being organized by certifying agencies.

In the US, the Scientific Diver is an entirely different branch of diving that started with the dive training offered by Scripps Institution of Oceanography in the early 1950s. There are standards which are maintained by the American Academy of Underwater Sciences, but certification and management of dive programs are handled directly by the universities and institutions.

For more info, including a list of organizations that have scientific diving programs, see https://www.aaus.org/AAUS

I am a both GUE and TDI tech diving trained. I think GUE doesn't mess around with quality control so it is far more likely, I believe, to have a good GUE instructor that any other agency (also applies to ISE, they are serious). TDI, I feel, is not as rigid and comes down to the instructor. As long as you stay away from PADI Tech/Rec whatever BS lol, just look for the instructor when it comes to training quality. That said, GUE absolutely has the upper hand when it comes to invovlement in science and exploration projects, and therefore stronger networking within those communities, that I say with confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom