Guidance for a dive trip to Sharm El Sheik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nuno A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I'm going for the first time next month to Sharm to spend a week diving .

I will be at www.camedivel.com and fly with Lufthtansa to Cairo and then with Egyptair to Sharm.

Im going to take my one equipment.

Any particularly advice or tip to improve my journey ?

• What kind of care should i take with the food ?
  • Should i care with me some medicine or if i need i can buy it there ?
  • Is there cash machines ?
Anything that can be important!!!

Thank you in advance !!!

Camel is smack bang in the middle of town. Sharm is like Vegas on the Red Sea shore. Shops, restaurants, bars, drugstores and indeed cash machines are everywhere. The food is good in most places and certainly around Camel. I recall Camel had a very nice lunch buffet. Don't drink the tap water. If you still get the runs, use the local panacea "Antinal". Book dive trips to the Thistlegorm wreck and Dahab if possible. Visit Old Market for a whiff of couleur locale. Insist that the taxidriver uses the meter. Above all, enjoy!

Ballistic armor and about 800 rounds.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Camels got a good roof top bar for after dive Sakara beers (but at around 4% its pretty well impossible to have too many). Good Indian restaurant as well if you fancy a traditional English dinner. Just over the road and down the street opposite there's a good little mini market selling import spirits, etc, as well as cheap water. +1 for Antinal - can also be used as a prophylactic. Wash hands often / use an alcohol wand wash esp. after using bank notes. As rgds diving we found them very good & professional. Dive boats all clean, good food, good dive briefings and good guides (& Nitrox at no extra charge). Oh, and great dive sites!

As regards the previous post re security, IMHO he's talking out of his ar%#. Most of the problems are a long way away from the tourist Red Sea area - its like saying don't go to dive off Plymouth because there's a riot in Glasgow. In the last 18 months we've been to Camel in Sharm & Poseidon in Dahab (twice) and would go back to either, tomorrow, if we could get the flights at a good price.

Enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

--------- Post added October 29th, 2013 at 10:04 PM ----------

Sorry - cash machines / ATMs - yes. Check if paying for bar bills / room extras in hotel how you will be billed. We found the hotel billed in pounds sterling as we flew in from UK. But when we went to pay by our Euro credit card they wanted to convert Egyptian Pounds to Pounds Sterling, then convert again from Pound Sterling to Euros.

So we went outside & simply got Egypt Pounds from the STM using a Euro card and "saved" a b.s. conversion leg.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hi,

Since you enter Egypt in Cairo unfortunately you cannot benefit from the " Sinai only " free 15 day entry visa and instead you need to purchase the regular " Entry Visa " at the bank kiosk on arrival.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3178/2767955213_5feb7310f1_z.jpg?zz=1

Careful " Antinal " is an antibiotica ! most people get sick during the hot summer months overindulging in drink , food and sun exposure.

Heineken beer is slightly more tasty , the local spirits taste like petrol and their wine is terrible.

The Ras Mohammed and Tiran dive sites will keep you busy for a week.

Happy diving and pay no attention to post 3 above.

Oops, you'll need the paying visa anyway if you dive Ras Mo. and the Thistlegorm.

I was also told this:
Wash hands often / use an alcohol wand wash esp. after using bank notes.

It seems like excellent advice. We also used the hand disinfectant, which contained some alcohol & some moisturizing agent as an ear rinse to help ears stay dry and but also not excessively dry (dryness can also cause irritation & make canal more prone to infection).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom