Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets hope Destin remains untouched by the oil. What a mess!

As a side note, I wile be surprised if this doesn't bankrupt BP. Something of this scale could put them out of biz with the cost of clean up, share price slipping, lawsuits.. If BP remains intact it will be a much different company in the future.

This has crossed my mine more than a few times lately..........
at one time I thought it would be overpopulation to bring it about, but now maybe it will be that we've ruined our worldwide ecosystem.

The earth may well be on it's way to a Malthusian catastrophe and the human ego or naivete foolishly believes it is possible to have control over the earth and environment when the one act that humans can not control that will eventually lead to catastrophe is procreation and over population unless some outside force such as disease, famine, war or astronomical event (asteroid or comet strike ) either severely reduces or eliminates the human race. Simply add oil and land to food in Malthus' postulata.

(quote)Thomas Malthus
I think I may fairly make two postulata. First, That food is necessary to the existence of man. Secondly, That the passion between the sexes is necessary and will remain nearly in its present state. These two laws, ever since we have had any knowledge of mankind, appear to have been fixed laws of our nature, and, as we have not hitherto seen any alteration in them, we have no right to conclude that they will ever cease to be what they now are, without an immediate act of power in that Being who first arranged the system of the universe, and for the advantage of his creatures, still executes, according to fixed laws, all its various operations.

Assuming then my postulata as granted, I say, that the power of population is indefinitely greater than the power in the earth to produce subsistence for man. Population, when unchecked, increases in a geometrical ratio.

—Malthus 1798, Chapter 1, [3] (quote)

Malthusian catastrophe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oil depletion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has crossed my mine more than a few times lately..........
at one time I thought it would be overpopulation to bring it about, but now maybe it will be that we've ruined our worldwide ecosystem.

Whats the difference, all are natural resources and all are limited and can only support so many.

Some pics of the disaster.

Attachments

• Horizon Fire 1.jpg
    Horizon Fire 1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Horizon Fire 2.jpg
    Horizon Fire 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Horizon Fire 3.jpg
    Horizon Fire 3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Horizon Fire 4.jpg
    Horizon Fire 4.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Horizon Fire 5.jpg
    Horizon Fire 5.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Horizon Fire 6.jpg
    Horizon Fire 6.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Horizon Fire 7.jpg
    Horizon Fire 7.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Horizon Fire 8.jpg
    Horizon Fire 8.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 38
  • Horizon Fire 9.jpg
    Horizon Fire 9.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 40
Little Johnny understands the program and will do well as a capitalist.
HOW TO SELL TOOTHBRUSHES

The kids filed back into class Monday morning. They were very excited. Their weekend assignment was to sell something, then give a talk on productive salesmanship.

Little Sally led off: "I sold girl scout cookies and I made $30," she said proudly, "My sales approach was to appeal to the customer's civil spirit and I credit that approach for my obvious success."

"Very good," said the teacher.

Little Jenny was next:

"I sold magazines," she said, "I made $45 and I explained to everyone that magazines would keep them up on current events."

"Very good, Jenny," said the teacher..

Eventually, it was Little Johnny's turn.

The teacher held her breath ...

Little Johnny walked to the front of the classroom and dumped a box full of cash on the teacher's desk. "$2,467," he said.

"$2,467!" cried the teacher, "What in the world were you selling?"

"Toothbrushes," said Little Johnny.

"Toothbrushes!" echoed the teacher, "How could you possibly sell enough tooth brushes to make that much money?"

"I found the busiest corner in town," said Little Johnny, "I set up a Dip & Chip stand and gave everybody who walked by a free sample."

They all said the same thing, "Hey, this tastes like dog ****!"

Then I would say,"It is dog ****. Wanna buy a toothbrush?"

"I used the governmental approach of giving you something ****ty for free, and then making you pay to get the ****ty taste out of your mouth."

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some posts were off topic and removed..Moved to NDR..

Whats the difference, all are natural resources and all are limited and can only support so many.

It is also about working towards a balance.

The planet creates new resources every day, however when we refuse to accept that we should lower consumption because our current rate of consumption is greater than the rate at which the planet creates resources we will eventually run out of them all together. And that is a scary future, it is the picture that comes to mind when I read your earlier post.

Concrete planet, tarmac roads, smog filled skies and oily oceans. Let's hope we learn the lesson soon and not just cut back on an economic perspective but also on ecological one.

It is also about working towards a balance.

Concrete planet, tarmac roads, smog filled skies and oily oceans. Let's hope we learn the lesson soon and not just cut back on an economic perspective but also on ecological one.

The balance comes when limited habitat limits the species. It won't be pretty but people won't stop procreating and using up habitat. Events over time such as pandemics, wars, possibly nuclear, over scarce resources, famine from loss of arable land, etc will prolong the inevitable increase in population to the breaking point so a prediction can't be made how far into the future it will be but it will be.
That or a severely draconian world government that sterilizes people to limit offspring to replacement levels or less.

Watch the discovery channel
there is a show called disaster in the gulf that explains how BP is trying to contain the oil, Very informative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom