Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I translated it in google and it seemed to say that they didn't know where it came from and that samples had been sent for analysis to find out where it came from.

That's why I said apears. But come on, do we really expect it to come from somewhere else than the BP oil leak?

That's why I said apears. But come on, do we really expect it to come from somewhere else than the BP oil leak?

Don't know where it came from, they don't either.

The balance comes when limited habitat limits the species. It won't be pretty but people won't stop procreating and using up habitat. Events over time such as pandemics, wars, possibly nuclear, over scarce resources, famine from loss of arable land, etc will prolong the inevitable increase in population to the breaking point so a prediction can't be made how far into the future it will be but it will be.
That or a severely draconian world government that sterilizes people to limit offspring to replacement levels or less.

Sorry but I don't agree its just about the number of people. People could easily consume half of what they currently do and even less. They used to get around with maybe around than 10% of consumables 40 years ago then they currently do (over a human lifetime). Funny thing is the total consumption is growing while in a lot of industrialized countries couples actually choose to have less than the two children a couple to sustain population size and even zero, it's why it becomes hard to maintain old age welfare.

Simple numbers: previous generation households had one phone and mebe if they where with above average income one second hand car, one tv and perhaps a computer. Now I see homes with one tv per room, two new cars, one home phone + cell phone for each member, one computer each etc..and ofcourse we replace most of them within a year or two with new stuff.

But yeah, those will be harsh times too, no more tv in the bedroom and we would actually have to share with family members and not to mention how silly you will look and be considered social outcast with that second hand laptop, just the tought of it makes some shiver....

It's more consumer attitude than reproductive numbers. Which is good because all we need is an attitude change and I would take that above sterilization any day.

Last update from the TEDxOilSpill expedition:

Photo Essay: "What have they done to the earth? What have they done to our fair sister?" - NatGeo News Watch

Quote: "Bearing witness to the situation that is unfolding in the Gulf really puts into perspective the lack of comprehensive news coverage coming out of the area, with media blackouts, misinformation and coverups."

I can't believe that our government is not sending the military down to oversee BP's operations. Something stinks. They have no right to censor or to keep us out of our own beaches and inland waterways. Yet they're getting away with it. BIG $ talk, even to our own government. They hire fishermen, they get sick, then they won't even let them wear masks so as not to scare everyone. They're frying turltles alive and God knows what else in the burnoffs. This whole mess is just unimaginable.

I can't believe that our government is not sending the military down to oversee BP's operations. Something stinks. They have no right to censor or to keep us out of our own beaches and inland waterways. Yet they're getting away with it. BIG $ talk, even to our own government. They hire fishermen, they get sick, then they won't even let them wear masks so as not to scare everyone. They're frying turltles alive and God knows what else in the burnoffs. This whole mess is just unimaginable.

I don't expect the US government to be completely innocent in all this for one second (seems they have been rubbing each others back). Censorship is a nice way to get around that pesky "freedom of speech", just make sure people don't get too much to talk about and control the flow of information and cut it off before the media gets hold of it (so much for investigative journalism). Propaganda and coorporate government are things that come to mind (and its not limited to the US).

I can't believe that our government is not sending the military down to oversee BP's operations. Something stinks.
so what is the US Coast Guard?
If I am not mistaken they are a branch of the armed services of the USA and I personally think it would be a very bad idea to turn this into a military action and honestly the less government involvement the quicker the spill will be contained. if the government gets involved there would be so much bureaucratic red tape that the spill might never be contained. besides the Oil company is much more qualified to handle disasters like this than the US Government or state and county governments.
the reason some areas are off limits is for public safety.
I think BP is being more forthcoming now the public is demanding that they put out more information. It is hard to be patient but I think all that can be done is being done.JMO

Last update from the TEDxOilSpill expedition:

Photo Essay: "What have they done to the earth? What have they done to our fair sister?" - NatGeo News Watch

Quote: "Bearing witness to the situation that is unfolding in the Gulf really puts into perspective the lack of comprehensive news coverage coming out of the area, with media blackouts, misinformation and coverups."
The media coverage of this is an outrage... not that they aren't reporting enough, but that they are sensationalizing anything and everything they can get their greasy hands on.

I have people from all over the world ask me how I am coping with the oil spill and frankly: it hasn't affected me or my diving one whit. The media has tried single handedly to shut down Florida and Louisiana with their incredible hysteria and are causing untold economic damages to our economy. It's time for them to show some honesty, integrity and responsibility in only reporting facts and not "worst case scenarios" that have little chance of coming true. John and Suzy Public don't need that kind of fantasy except in the movie pictures.

Saying all of that, I am not saying that BP is not responsible for the mess and the clean up. I am saying that the press is causing a lot more harm by their thirst for a catastrophe of epic proportions.

so what is the US Coast Guard?
If I am not mistaken they are a branch of the armed services of the USA and I personally think it would be a very bad idea to turn this into a military action and honestly the less government involvement the quicker the spill will be contained. if the government gets involved there would be so much bureaucratic red tape that the spill might never be contained. besides the Oil company is much more qualified to handle disasters like this than the US Government or state and county governments.
the reason some areas are off limits is for public safety.
I think BP is being more forthcoming now the public is demanding that they put out more information. It is hard to be patient but I think all that can be done is being done.JMO

Federal bureaucratic red tape has been holding it up from the get go. I am in Louisiana and it is the main problem the state is having trying to get things done. Between the DoI, USGC, EPA and OSHA it is a cluster you know what.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom