Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so what is the US Coast Guard?
If I am not mistaken they are a branch of the armed services of the USA and I personally think it would be a very bad idea to turn this into a military action and honestly the less government involvement the quicker the spill will be contained. if the government gets involved there would be so much bureaucratic red tape that the spill might never be contained. besides the Oil company is much more qualified to handle disasters like this than the US Government or state and county governments.
the reason some areas are off limits is for public safety.
I think BP is being more forthcoming now the public is demanding that they put out more information. It is hard to be patient but I think all that can be done is being done.JMO

Actually the Coast Guard is not part of the Military. that is why they can enforce laws on US citizens. They are under the Dept of Transportation or possibly Homeland security now. In times of war they can be moved under the Dept of Defense but I don't think that has happened.

Actually I do think the Government needs to be much more involved. We have agencies especially trained in the field of emergency management (which this is). I think that BP is trying to do the right thing but they are an oil company. They really don't know jack about emergency management and how to handle this situation. Let them plug the leak and write the checks but other people need to be managing the bigger problems.

Correction-you used the term 'branch of the armed forces' which is technically corrected. I think it is important that citizens of the US understand the difference between the Coast Guard and 'The Military.' Their jobs and legal authority are much different and it was established that way for some very good reasons.

Generally speaking the USCG is not part of the military and it's members have the legal authority to arrest you for violation of federal law. Members of the other branches do not have this authority.

Last edited:
I have people from all over the world ask me how I am coping with the oil spill and frankly: it hasn't affected me or my diving one whit.

Glad to hear it hasn't affected your diving but I think there are more important things at stake.

It's time for them to show some honesty, integrity and responsibility in only reporting facts and not "worst case scenarios" that have little chance of coming true. John and Suzy Public don't need that kind of fantasy except in the movie pictures.

Largest oil spill in US history is a fact, not a worst case scenario or a fantasy.

Glad to hear it hasn't affected your diving but I think there are more important things at stake.
There is no need to exacerbate the economic impact so that News ratings can improve. The media is the sole beneficiary of this catastrophe and they are pulling out all the stops to capitalize on it. It's yellow dog journalism at it's worst and they are hurting people needlessly.
Largest oil spill in US history is a fact, not a worst case scenario or a fantasy.
Yes it is, but the projections are needless, a work of fiction and only serve to fuel needless hysteria. This is a time when logic and facts need rule over mindless media driven emotion. Running around yelling the sky is falling won't cap that well, but it sure helps ratings. The economic impact by the unrestrained and irresponsible media may very well out pace the economic damage caused by the oil spill. The press will get a free pass for that and the blame will be put on BP. They are guilty of enough already and the press needs to stop making things worse.

But not in the gulf, the 1979 gulf spill off the coast of Mexico is still the biggest in the gulf and the world. The latest one may or my not exceed it, most likely it won't.
I was diving the Louisiana gulf oil rigs in 1979 and that spill had no effect here.
NetDoc is right, if you listen to the national media you would think there is no water just oil in the gulf.

Captain
that pretty much confirms my point all together
sometimes the Feds are much more of a hindrance than any kind of help at all. the federal government needs to get the hell out of the way and let BP do their job.

Actually the Coast Guard is not part of the Military. that is why they can enforce laws on US citizens. They are under the Dept of Transportation or possibly Homeland security now. In times of war they can be moved under the Dept of Defense but I don't think that has happened.

Actually I do think the Government needs to be much more involved. We have agencies especially trained in the field of emergency management (which this is). I think that BP is trying to do the right thing but they are an oil company. They really don't know jack about emergency management and how to handle this situation. Let them plug the leak and write the checks but other people need to be managing the bigger problems.

Correction-you used the term 'branch of the armed forces' which is technically corrected. I think it is important that citizens of the US understand the difference between the Coast Guard and 'The Military.' Their jobs and legal authority are much different and it was established that way for some very good reasons.

Generally speaking the USCG is not part of the military and it's members have the legal authority to arrest you for violation of federal law. Members of the other branches do not have this authority.
whether you choose to believe the USCG is not a branch of the military armed forces does not change the fact that they are.

Per Wikipedia
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States armed forces and one of seven uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the Department of the Navy by the President or Congress during time of war.

Founded by Alexander Hamilton as the Revenue Cutter Service on 4 August 1790, it lays claim to being the United States' oldest continuous seagoing service. As of August 2009, the Coast Guard had approximately 42,000 men and women on active duty, 7,500 reservists, 29,000 auxiliarists, and 7,700 full-time civilian employees.[3]

The Coast Guard's legal authority differs from the other four armed services and it operates simultaneously under Title 10 of the United States Code and its other organic authorities, e.g., Titles 6, 14, 19, 33, 46, etc. Because of its legal authority, the Coast Guard can conduct military operations under the Department of Defense or directly for the President in accordance with Title 14 USC 1-3.

The Coast Guard's enduring roles are Maritime Safety, Maritime Security, and Maritime Stewardship. To carry out those roles the Coast Guard has eleven statutory missions as defined in 6 U.S.C. § 468.

As Captain already pointed out the feds have their hands too far in the till already,
if they have any more involvement or authority it would be a bigger cluster F#$% than it already is.

whether you choose to believe the USCG is not a branch of the military armed forces does not change the fact that they are.

No they are not. They are a branch of homeland security and do not answer to the Sec Def but given that Wikipedia is your main source of education (on this topic) the argument is pointless.

Last edited:
No they are not. They are a branch of homeland security and do not answer to the Sec Def but given that Wikipedia is your main source of education (on this topic) the argument is pointless.

USCG: About Us

I think I will take the word of the USCG over yours Sorry:idk:

A Military Service

The legal basis for the Coast Guard is Title 14 of the United States Code, which states: "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times." Upon the declaration of war or when the President directs, the Coast Guard operates under the authority of the Department of the Navy.

As members of a military service, Guardians on active duty and in the Reserve are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and receive the same pay and allowances as members of the same pay grades in the other four armed services.

OH-I see Title 14 was changed as recently as January of this year. Probably as an on-going dimishing of our rights and the strutucture of our country by people who are knee-jerk reactionaries to things like 'The Terrorist' and who lack an understanding of history and why our society was formed the way it was.

You should not have the Military acting as law enforcement-see Posse Comitatus Act and then research why. Then look at other countries that ignore simulare thinking. They usually have presidents who's first name is 'General' and who's title is 'el president for life'.

Regardless, my information is out of date and reflects a time when the USCG was not part of the Military.

Back
Top Bottom