Gulf side / Atlantic side... Snorkeling... Diving.... Kids.... ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Florida Folks...

I have a trip coming up in May for work in Naples. We are taking the non-diving kids (ages 12 to 8).

I'm thinking of spending a few days on the Atlantic side for better snorkeling with the kids and/or diving for my wife and me, then driving to Naples for the meeting.

Does that sound like a solid plan? I assume there's not much snorkeling in Naples area, but is there anything good close to Ft. Lauderdale since that's the closest shot across from Naples? Are there any snorkel/dive combo options where the kids snorkel above us while we dive?

Any recommendations you have are appreciated!

You'll find some great diving in Ft Lauderdale/Lauderdale-by-the-Sea/Pompano.

In Lauderdale by the Sea, you can beach dive. It is a bit of a swim for the young ones so you'll need to very carefully assess the conditions and their skill level, but plenty of teenager types also snorkel at Lauderdale by the Sea when the marine conditions are calm. There are two dive shops that I've used in LBTS and they are Gold Coast Scuba and Force-E. You can rent gear at both shops.

Here's a link to some info on LBTS: http://www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml

(by the way, I've never used Fill Express, but many other SB'ers recommend them as well).

If you are just interested in diving and not snorkeling, there are 3 dive ops I've used and can recommend in the area:

Pompano Dive Center
South Florida Dive HQ
Scubatyme

Gold Coast and Force-E can probably hook you up with a boat as well: though they don't operate their own boats.

South Florida Dive HQ does go to some shallow reefs that probably can be snorkeled (the nursery, Copenhagen wreck, etc.).

One other thing... keep your eye on the marine forecast to ensure you don't make the drive and are then dissapointed with the conditions. http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz650.txt

Last edited:
I've only dove the Gulf side twice. Once on the Oriskany and once off of Cortez, about 60 miles south of Tampa. The Oriskany was great, though a long boat ride out. The Cortez dive was not much to brag about. I'd do the trip across and dive around Ft. Laud.

Actually, there is excellent diving and snorkeling much closer to Naples...as you get off Alligator Alley/I-595, head right to Fort Lauderdale Beach for excellent diving. I dove with Capt. Bill Cole of Sea Experience for over 30 years and he's still my go-to charter when I'm in town. In addition to their roomy stable dive boat, they also have a dedicated snorkeling/glass bottom boat. Lots more for family and kids to do at Fort Lauderdale Beach than LBTS and lots more great eateries as well. They have a good dive package at Bahia Mar right on the beach. Also, I lived in the Dania Beach/Hollywood area for many years and loved the beach diving down there, just barely south of Alligator Alley.

You'll find some great diving in Ft Lauderdale/Lauderdale-by-the-Sea/Pompano.

In Lauderdale by the Sea, you can beach dive. It is a bit of a swim for the young ones so you'll need to very carefully assess the conditions and their skill level, but plenty of teenager types also snorkel at Lauderdale by the Sea when the marine conditions are calm. There are two dive shops that I've used in LBTS and they are Gold Coast Scuba and Force-E. You can rent gear at both shops.

Here's a link to some info on LBTS: Fill Express -- The Best Shore Dive in Florida

(by the way, I've never used Fill Express, but many other SB'ers recommend them as well).

If you are just interested in diving and not snorkeling, there are 3 dive ops I've used and can recommend in the area:

Pompano Dive Center
South Florida Dive HQ
Scubatyme

Gold Coast and Force-E can probably hook you up with a boat as well: though they don't operate their own boats.

South Florida Dive HQ does go to some shallow reefs that probably can be snorkeled (the nursery, Copenhagen wreck, etc.).

One other thing... keep your eye on the marine forecast to ensure you don't make the drive and are then dissapointed with the conditions. http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz650.txt

Thank you for mentioning us
Just a quick note to add: all the boat operators mentioned above do offer snorkel/dive trips on the first reef which is 15 to 30 feet in depth. We also have a full service dive store right next to the boats.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom