Guy to Break World Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoke to one of his dive buddies this am who is also a DM for the shop. He said he actually did over the 550 and went 565' in 62 minutes. The next step up to 800' will be a 7 hr dive. That's their claim.

Spoke to one of his dive buddies this am who is also a DM for the shop. He said he actually did over the 550 and went 565' in 62 minutes. The next step up to 800' will be a 7 hr dive. That's their claim.

A bounce dive to 565’ (170m), in 62 mins? If the photo at the start of the thread was taken prior to the dive then the equipment looks somewhat “thin” for those sort of depths with any form of redundancy.

And dropping off a recreational boat to head to 550ish with “buddies” at 300’….? The more I think about it the more I hear “how much do you think we can make them believe”… sorry. (At least I hope this is a sea story… the thought of people genuinely going to 170m with the “support” boat off looking after recreational divers on a compass bearing away… shudder :w-t-f: )

-Mark

Tammy: If you get an opportunity to ask a simple question, I would be intrigued to know what method(s) they are using there in St. Croix to mix gas for an 800-foot OC dive.

The accuracy/success rate of standard partial-pressure mixing for breathing gases with five percent oxygen is pretty dodgy. Perfect mixing (pure he, o2 and n2) offers more control. Mixing by weight of course has the potential to be the most accurate but is finicky and in my very limited experience requires very specialized kit.

Anyhow, curious is all.

Tammy: If you get an opportunity to ask a simple question, I would be intrigued to know what method(s) they are using there in St. Croix to mix gas for an 800-foot OC dive.

The accuracy/success rate of standard partial-pressure mixing for breathing gases with five percent oxygen is pretty dodgy. Perfect mixing (pure he, o2 and n2) offers more control. Mixing by weight of course has the potential to be the most accurate but is finicky and in my very limited experience requires very specialized kit.

Anyhow, curious is all.

I had Mark at the shop who was diving with the guy yesterday type his reply to your question himself.

For anyone on facebook the guy attempting the dive is on Facebook as Doc Deep. You can see some photos of him and his gear on his dives.

"We do partial pressure blend. As far as accuracy our blenders are within 1% tolerance. As the helium increases and oxygen decreases in the mix it become more like heliair and we have seen an even smaller margin for those mixes. Hope that answers your questions! Mark Nevin Trimix Instructor"

This isn't pioneering but oneupmanship which WILL lead to fatalities.

Short of someone putting a gun to your head and telling you you'll be going for the new record, what it WILL lead to is absolutely none of your business. Great thing about diving, that.

Short of someone putting a gun to your head and telling you you'll be going for the new record, what it WILL lead to is absolutely none of your business. Great thing about diving, that.

To be fair, rescue & recovery operations are pretty expensive and paid with taxpayers' money.

Yes, it might be a world record on Scuba but is there a useful objective? Between HPNS and compression neuralgia a deep bounce dive like that makes a diver's hands marginally functional. What's the point if you can't function as well as a ROV?

The deepest open sea sat dive was in 1988 to 1,752'. The deepest chamber dive was to 2,300' in 1992. 1,200' on Scuba isn't extending mankind's reach into the oceans.

To be fair, rescue & recovery operations are pretty expensive and paid with taxpayers' money.

I am not sure rescue and recovery would look or find a body at 800ft... But maybe someone will request a recovery - I would not :D

I would assume he was shark/fish bait at that depth and is not surfacing....

What's your basis for calling 1200' a one-way? Current OC record stands at just shy of 1100'. Agree with the second part, unless it was one Hell of a bounce dive. Setting up a zero conservatism VPM-BE dive with 8/50 plus oodles of deco mixes, 100fpm drop and 60fpm ascents, and essentially no BT, I can squeeze in a 550' dive in 60min RT...but that's just bananas.

[Edit: when AJ and I are thinking the same thing at the same time, I get worried.]

The basis of my opinion is that it is a zero defect dive..meaning nothing can go wrong, because if it does you are ****ed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom