Guy to Break World Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's certainly acceptable.

I'd have a hard time using the term "acceptable" to describe anything related to such a nonsensical endeavor.

In an increasingly tamed and homogenized world, risk is not only a means of escape but a path to spirituality. . .the fine line between life and death actually entices outdoor adventurers to risk everything for the chance to explore their own physical and mental limits. In fact, it is exactly this close proximity to death that makes the experience come alive for certain individuals with the overriding desire "to strip away the superfluous, to remove the protective boundaries between that thing you call a self and something larger." . . . --Shawn Carkonen

Sorry, this form of "Boundary Pushing" gives me an image of a homeless alcoholic at the park, committed to getting a world record for chugging more bottles of Mad Dog 20-20, than has ever been "survived" before without alcohol poisening causing DEATH.
In fact, if he survives, he may well gain respect from the heavy drinkers he socializes with.

It is not like climbing a mountain that was never climbed before, and it is not like running a 4 minute mile....In crossing this boundary, there is no benefit to humanity....only to the peer group of the person trying this.

:gas:well, Naked and Afraid seems to be "successful".... :stirpot:

Sorry, this form of "Boundary Pushing" gives me an image of a homeless alcoholic at the park, committed to getting a world record for chugging more bottles of Mad Dog 20-20, than has ever been "survived" before without alcohol poisening causing DEATH.
In fact, if he survives, he may well gain respect from the heavy drinkers he socializes with.

It is not like climbing a mountain that was never climbed before, and it is not like running a 4 minute mile....In crossing this boundary, there is no benefit to humanity....only to the peer group of the person trying this.
[as posted in the other thread "Doc Deep plans 1200' Dive] --An intrepid yet naive, courageous but ultimately tragic endeavor: For every successful Felix Baumgartner (or deep diver World Record Holder Ahmed Gabr), there is a Nick Piantanida (or "Doc Deep" Guy Garman) that leaves a wake in passing. . .

. . .Ultimately, each person who ventures out must make his or her own decisions about how far to go and what point to turn back. There's an old saying among prospectors who comb the hills for gold here in the American West: "Gold is where you find it". You can say the same about adventure ["Adventure is where you find it"]. For that matter, you can say it about risk, about death, and about being acutely alive. . . --from Introduction, Last Breath: Cautionary Tales From The Limits of Human Endurance by Peter Stark.

Reading this thread now in hindsight, but I wonder if the guy mixing the gas understood that what he meant was that he had a 1 percentage point tolerance. That is NOT the same as a 1% tolerance.

If the target mix is 5%... 1 percentage point means a +/- 20% margin of error. Not saying that the gas mix was the cause of the fatality here, but obviously dives like this don't accommodate that type of slack.

My concern was then and remains that partial-pressure blending has unsupportable scope when one is aiming for justa few moles of oxygen.

However, I did not feel it within my pervue to comment any further... especially since the person mixing signed himself as a "trimix instructor."

My concern was then and remains that partial-pressure blending has unsupportable scope when one is aiming for justa few moles of oxygen.
My impression is that weight is the "best" way to precisely mix gasses for diving, but it isn't commonly done and requires unusual equipment. Is that accurate?

My impression is that weight is the "best" way to precisely mix gasses for diving, but it isn't commonly done and requires unusual equipment. Is that accurate?

I think Doppler is not addressing partial pressure blending per se, but is addressing the issue of the very precise measurements that are necessary for such an event as this. As others pointed out (RJP most recently), the scope of the measurements with the type of equipment Garmin used is too imprecise for the mixes necessary . . . what Doppler termed as "moles of Oxygen" (one mole of water is ~18 grams). So, if you are using a digital gauge that is measuring in psi, you are already so imprecise as to make the deeper mixes . . . uncertain, if not deadly.

I'd have a hard time using the term "acceptable" to describe anything related to such a nonsensical endeavor.

Jeez, Ray. The comment was about the accuracy of partial pressure blending. Lighten up. Even though I don't see the purpose, I wouldn't be as critical of Gabr if he decided to try this dive to break his own record. He would still need correct gasses to do it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom