Guy to Break World Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My impression is that weight is the "best" way to precisely mix gasses for diving, but it isn't commonly done and requires unusual equipment. Is that accurate?

I order calibration gas mixtures resembling air that require amounts down to 10 ppm(last one was 21%O2, 10ppm methane, 10ppm CO, 600ppm CO2, balance nitrogen). From what I understand from the CofA (Certificate of Analysis) that comes with them, it's done based on weight using a very precise scale.

If everyone KNEW it was suicide, and was well aware that the project was being run in an incompetent manner, then why was there no outrage BEFORE - when it would do some good? why was there no lynch mob to go after the dive shop, boycott them, write nasty emails.. after all they put out a video soliciting our involvement and telling us we can become involved in support of the project.

I had a friend who was hell bent on breaking the world record for solo deep air diving (probably just as stupid of an endeavor) and I worked hard to persuade him that it was a fools errand. He was dropping to like 350 pretty frequently and without any deco gas, so he was on his way. We even discussed design of an automatic system that would ditch lead and send him up if he passed out -- it was all ridiculous and he finally dropped the pursuit.

If "DOC DEEP" had survived with just minor paralysis, I wonder how many people on this board would be cheering him - right now.

It just seems rather hypocritical to attack now simply because he did not succeed. Do we really know more about the logistics and dive plan the day after his death - compared to the day before? Where were all the experts spouting off all their detailed knowledge a week ago?

We should remember that the deepest a freediver has been and survived is like 800 ft..so maybe somebody CAN do 1,200 ft on scuba? just looked it up 831 feet..

We're you not paying attention? He was attacked over and over before the dive.

If everyone KNEW it was suicide, and was well aware that the project was being run in an incompetent manner, then why was there no outrage BEFORE - when it would do some good? why was there no lynch mob to go after the dive shop, boycott them, write nasty emails.. after all they put out a video soliciting our involvement and telling us we can become involved in support of the project.

I had a friend who was hell bent on breaking the world record for solo deep air diving (probably just as stupid of an endeavor) and I worked hard to persuade him that it was a fools errand. He was dropping to like 350 pretty frequently and without any deco gas, so he was on his way. We even discussed design of an automatic system that would ditch lead and send him up if he passed out -- it was all ridiculous and he finally dropped the pursuit.

If "DOC DEEP" had survived with just minor paralysis, I wonder how many people on this board would be cheering him - right now.

It just seems rather hypocritical to attack now simply because he did not succeed. Do we really know more about the logistics and dive plan the day after his death - compared to the day before? Where were all the experts spouting off all their detailed knowledge a week ago?

We should remember that the deepest a freediver has been and survived is like 800 ft..so maybe somebody CAN do 1,200 ft on scuba? just looked it up 831 feet..

We're you not paying attention? He was attacked over and over before the dive.

NO he is not !
I have already told him that in an other thread about this dive below, he was pontificating about the same thing.
Obviously he does not retain what he reads.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 09:53 PM ----------

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...6-doc-deep-plans-1200-dive-2.html#post7477504

There were some negative comments. I took a somewhat mocking tone with respect to the bragging about the size of his balls, but compared to now, there was not much substantive negative discussion of the attempt. As I asked before:

Do we know more about his plan now than we did before?
Did dozens of people attack the shop that was supporting, promoting and executing this dive?

All I know is that the clowns apparently never planned for the very (likely) contingency of a body recovery by having a readily available and executable pan to haul his ass off the bottom. Maybe that fact alone is enough to show they are are incompetent

If you go back to the start of the thread, I thought he was just a liar...no need for outrage. When it became clear that he was actually doing this, the tone changed to a very cautionary tone....because outrage isn't going to change his mind but caution may spark some second thoughts among his team.

When he failed and his team tried to ale this clown out as some kind of all knowing icon, who's knowledge surpasses aost the world over...the tone changed again.....rightfully so.

My impression is that weight is the "best" way to precisely mix gasses for diving, but it isn't commonly done and requires unusual equipment. Is that accurate?

Certainly mixing by weight is considered to be the more accurate method -- perhaps a chemist could confirm -- and is what is used in a laboratory setting. (Perfect blending (individual gases) assuming that one mole of oxygen has a mass of 32 grams, nitrogen 28 grams, helium 4 grams -- numbers rounded a little.) Tricky to achieve at home in the back yard, best left to the folks from whom you buy your gas. Certainly for an attempt such as a remarkably deep dive, the most supportable option would be to pay for the experts to blend your gases for you.

Hope this clarifies. Be safe.

Reactions: Jax
Any news on the recovery?

Yesterday.

CHRISTIANSTED – The dead body of Dr. Guy Garman was removed from the waterfront area in front of the V.I. Water and Power Authority in Estate Richmond this morning, the Virgin Islands Free Press has learned.
Officials from the Department of Planning and Natural Resources Marine Division pulled Garman’s body out of the water so that an autopsy can be performed to determine an official cause of death, several sources have confirmed.
Virgin Islands Free Press - The only nationally-syndicated newspaper in the Virgin Islands - Our Stories reach the United States and the World

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom