Guys, we love your feedback. Help us to improve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not have shrimp on your menu if you are an eco resort. It is one the the most destructive practices in the ocean and farming is not much better.

To generalize, whatever food you serve, I would appreciate if it were to come from sustainable sources. I am not a vegetarian, and I enjoy meat and seafood from environmentally responsible sources. However, if the only option for seafood is something that is caught or farmed in a way that harms the environment, then I will gladly eat nasi/mee goreng for a week. I am there to dive, not to experience gourmet dining.

Javier can you outline what sustainability measures you have in place? Do you contribute to social sustainability and development? Any skilling up of locals as not just boat boys and cleaners but DMs and beyond?

I can live without air conditioning. I can live with non refrigerated water from a spring a resort is using a biofiltration system on to provide water. I cant really live without coconuts and watermelons...but yes, i can if the diving is worth it.

I really cannot live without coffee though :)

Seriously the whole subject of what constitutes an eco friendly biodiversity resort is open to many interpretations. Things like Green Fins certification and Sustainable Tourism Accreditation matter to me more than aircon and wifi.

Good luck :)

Hi. Javier

What a nice question to ask !

You have had great advice so far. Personally I really appreciate it if guides or boat crew take gear on and off the boat , assemble it , change tanks and rinse it afterwards. Having worked hard all year to afford a trip and come half way around the world , it's annoying if the crew are sitting around texting and chatting while guests are changing tanks etc.

I'm sure your resort offers this!

Wishing you a very successful season.

Sorry I am being ironic... but I think I get it now, can we have two different resorts : mine and Lorenzoid's that will be opposite side of the same island.

In Lorenzoid Sadie's dive resort each diver will first have to pay and additional carbon fee if they want to take a motorized dive boat, otherwise there are paddles too.
Sadie's resort parasistic gringo dive guides will endeavour not showing anything because many of the critters are concealed sometimes beneath a sea cucumber that would need a stick to reveal, and the guides, as knights of the holy sea cucumber would not permit disturbing it at any times. I can get you a list of those guides who will be happy to hide their ignorance under a holier than thou attitude, they're aplenty in Labuan Bajo and all those areas where backpackers go diving..
Those guides will receive a mandatory 15% tip on everything, directly leveed at check in. NO local guides will be accepted since they do not know about ecosomethingism and might have not heard about Paul Watson.
Any diver coming out of the water will be frowned at because anyway, as you know, divers do more bad to the underwater world than good, the exception will be for divers paying for planting coral on a deserted sandy bottom 5m deep.
The food will be rudimentary but supposed to be sustainable, because Lorenzoid Sadie's resort divers are not there to enjoy gourmet food.
At the end of the stay, all divers will be billed 30USD for a Tshirt printed "don't poke the sea cucumber" and a OK sign.
You'll get a discount for each melanomae caught as a proof you didn't use much use tan lotion that could have hurt the corals.
Sadie's dive resort will encourage youngsters to put a very positive review on Tripadvisor or not to post on the internet.

In my own Thelema resort, I would just like the best dive guides who really know where to find the critters thanks to their understanding of the biotops and where to look at, because they know of instance that removing a sea cucumber will not threaten the balance of the whoel ecology. I have two or three names of guides Ajiex, Ben and Dennis to cite here, one of whom will be dedicated to nudibranches only. Hence the Thelema resort will accomodate only three divers at a time, until you find more guides for each guest.
Thelema resort will be accomodating guests who will be discussing other topics than dive stories at dinner time (I'm thinking about the possibility of guests passing a quiz on international news, science, history and arts before they confirm their booking).
Because life should be a feast, and because Thelema educated guest are able to enjoy multiple pleasures on teh same period, the dinners will be fantastic at Thelema resort with all sorts of food imaginatively cooked by a japanese cook taught at french restaurants, only organic or biodynamic wines should be served (this will be the only organic restriction in the resort). Industrial and cheap beer will be prohibited.
Tank shirts will be prohibited at dinner time, because Thelema guests think in general that showing their sweaty or hairy underarms views and aromas are not compatible with fine dining.
Cooking or photo workshops will be organized for free as the chef or the inhouse photographer have nothing more interesting to do than entertain the non divers.
Thelema is nicely eco responsible but doesn't feel the need for bragging it around.nor take it as an excuse of being eco something for overcharging while downgrading service.
Since tipping is always a question, tips are not allowed in Thelema resort as staff is comfortably paid.
Thelema doesn't care about review sites on the Internet, since it works with goodmouthing.

Sorry if I hijacked somehow your thread with a silly reply.
On a serious mode, I do appreciate you questioning about customer expectancies.
As for me, you'll find some of the things I am looking for in Thelema description, you'll find also a little truth in Sadie's resort and REAL experience that happened to me probably others too.

Last edited:
Sorry I am being ironic... but I think I get it now, can we have two different resorts : mine and Lorenzoid's that will be opposite side of the same island.

In Lorenzoid Sadie's dive resort each diver will first have to pay and additional carbon fee if they want to take a motorized dive boat, otherwise there are paddles too.
Sadie's resort parasistic gringo dive guides will endeavour not showing anything because many of the critters are concealed sometimes beneath a sea cucumber that would need a stick to reveal, and the guides, as knights of the holy sea cucumber would not permit disturbing it at any times. I can get you a list of those guides who will be happy to hide their ignorance under a holier than thou attitude, they're aplenty in Labuan Bajo and all those areas where backpackers go diving..
Those guides will receive a mandatory 15% tip on everything, directly leveed at check in. NO local guides will be accepted since they do not know about ecosomethingism and might have not heard about Paul Watson.
Any diver coming out of the water will be frowned at because anyway, as you know, divers do more bad to the underwater world than good, the exception will be for divers paying for planting coral on a deserted sandy bottom 5m deep.
The food will be rudimentary but supposed to be sustainable, because Lorenzoid Sadie's resort divers are not there to enjoy gourmet food.
At the end of the stay, all divers will be billed 30USD for a Tshirt printed "don't poke the sea cucumber" and a OK sign.
You'll get a discount for each melanomae caught as a proof you didn't use much use tan lotion that could have hurt the corals.
Sadie's dive resort will encourage youngsters to put a very positive review on Tripadvisor or not to post on the internet.

In my own Thelema resort, I would just like the best dive guides who really know where to find the critters thanks to their understanding of the biotops and where to look at, because they know of instance that removing a sea cucumber will not threaten the balance of the whoel ecology. I have two or three names of guides Ajiex, Ben and Dennis to cite here, one of whom will be dedicated to nudibranches only. Hence the Thelema resort will accomodate only three divers at a time, until you find more guides for each guest.
Thelema resort will be accomodating guests who will be discussing other topics than dive stories at dinner time (I'm thinking about the possibility of guests passing a quiz on international news, science, history and arts before they confirm their booking).
Because life should be a feast, and because Thelema educated guest are able to enjoy multiple pleasures on teh same period, the dinners will be fantastic at Thelema resort with all sorts of food imaginatively cooked by a japanese cook taught at french restaurants, only organic or biodynamic wines should be served (this will be the only organic restriction in the resort). Industrial and cheap beer will be prohibited.
Tank shirts will be prohibited at dinner time, because Thelema guests think in general that showing their sweaty or hairy underarms views and aromas are not compatible with fine dining.
Cooking or photo workshops will be organized for free as the chef or the inhouse photographer have nothing more interesting to do than entertain the non divers.
Thelema is nicely eco responsible but doesn't feel the need for bragging it around.nor take it as an excuse of being eco something for overcharging while downgrading service.
Since tipping is always a question, tips are not allowed in Thelema resort as staff is comfortably paid.
Thelema doesn't care about review sites on the Internet, since it works with goodmouthing.

Sorry if I hijacked somehow your thread with a silly reply.
On a serious mode, I do appreciate you questioning about customer expectancies.
As for me, you'll find some of the things I am looking for in Thelema description, you'll find also a little truth in Sadie's resort and REAL experience that happened to me probably others too.

I know you and I don't normally agree on much, but I kind of have to agree. We need to find a happy medium.

In relation to the original question about what I want?
* Wifi - sadly just because I'm on holiday doesn't mean I can ignore my work emails
* Clean fresh water - this has been an issue for me in RA before, and as a photographer, it drove me mad because I couldn't get fresh water to rinse my camera gear
* A good functional relationship with other dive operators in the area so you're not all trying to screw each other over - some coordination over who is diving what sites on what days would go a long way to rectifying a lot of the problems I had with RA
* A variety of food options - I am vegetarian, that doesn't mean I can live on a few lettuce leaves and a couple of slices of tomato for 2 weeks. If you tell me that you can cater for vegetarians, then I do have some basic expectations. If you tell me you can't cater for vegetarians, I appreciate that, and I will look elsewhere. Just don't lie to me, because all that will happen is that I will rip into you for it afterwards.

Luko you crack me up!!
I'm not sure I want to go to either of those resorts!! :wink:

Right now my priorities are listed below (and sorry for the repetition):
# Clean room, resort and water!
# Flexibility to dive once or four times a day, dont force me to do a double tank dive in the morning.
# AC is really helpful (yes yes not so "eco" friendly but if you run solar panels on the roof this can help out) or at least GOOD fans (not just one tiny one) that are on ALL night!!! By good I mean one that doesn't rattle and roll and squeak and look like its going to fall onto you and decapitate you. I NEED a good nights sleep and can not get one if I'm sweating my butt off!
# Talking of sleep, good beds and pillows.
# A variety of tasty food, I'm not looking for gourmet like Luko is!
# Friendly and helpful staff

Hi Bill & Emily, you are right about trash and garbage in the ocean. Indeed it is a huge problem. However, there are different organisations working to solve those problems. We actually work on different conservationists projects here at Raja Ampat. This is one of our main focus.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Javier

Hi. Javier

What a nice question to ask !

You have had great advice so far. Personally I really appreciate it if guides or boat crew take gear on and off the boat , assemble it , change tanks and rinse it afterwards. Having worked hard all year to afford a trip and come half way around the world , it's annoying if the crew are sitting around texting and chatting while guests are changing tanks etc.

I'm sure your resort offers this!

Wishing you a very successful season.
Thanks for this, sure, for us it is very important this point. Indeed we highlight you won't be worry about changing tanks, moving them and so on.

Thanks!

you won't be worry about changing tanks, moving them and so on.

It would be useful for the people who are responsible for changing the tanks etc., to understand how to do this properly and that doesn't mean putting my gear together so that is fits in the slot on the boat. When I have a SS backplate fitted this is rarely compatible with holes on the boat for tank storage and I don't mind it laying on the deck as long as it is not in the way of people walking over it. If I have to adjust my the tank every time before I dive then I will change the tank and assemble the gear myself.

A demonstration to whoever is responsible for changing my gear over is all that is required at the beginning of the trip if using the same staff for the whole stay.

Where I dive locally, everyone takes care of their own kit when gearing up, even the tourist divers on our boats. I am happy with the crew carrying the gear onto the boat though :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom