Habitat Curacao Internet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info Flamingovilla. So how does that work with the home owners in coral estates? Do you have something like home owners dues that are going towards this or is it separated?
We do pay home owners association fees, but it has not yet been proposed to disburse it to Habitat. They have increased security at the gatehouse. If you are staying down at Habitat, they you get a special colored slip you must display in your car window. If you are visiting a homeowner, then you receive a white form that must be signed by owner. Sunshine came for a visit and I had to sign it. They record every license plate coming and going and inspect any trucks/workers/delivery autos.

I can't imagine what it looked like after I saw the condition of their missing shore dive ladder & dock after that hurricane! Almost all the wood in the dive area felt like it was going to break.
Well, most of the south-western dive docks and ladders were destroyed with TS Omar, along with homesowners' steps down to the shore that were up on the bluff. Coral Estate realizes that the shoreline entrance needs to be updated and fixed ... as this is the path to the goldmine.

Lets hope they get it on the right track because it really has some good potential.
I am headed back for a visit the first week of September will give you an update on their progress. I can't wait to see what this new beach will look like! That will be exciting once done.

Coral Estates paid a very hefty price for the purchase of that land. They won't let it go to waste, but the funds will be a bit tight for a while.

Flamingo

Just as a side note....the Internet access was wide open, no access codes needed. Although the information sheet we got at check in had pricing for access.

Go figure.....

Lori, How are the improvments moving. I'm staying there in Nov.

Not having been there before, I can't compare. I do know they started working on the beach to the left of the dock while we were there. Bulldozers and dumptrucks bringing in sand and rock, etc. The outside of the buildings look like they have been freshly painted. The grounds themselves are still poorly kept, weeds growing untamed, bushes not trimmed and overgrown, and very little flowers or that type of landscaping at this point.

The rooms were spartan at best. Just sheets, no bedspreads. Clean, but very basic. Minimum towels provided and no washcloths to be had, go figure. The patio and balcony furniture should be replaced very soon as most of the straps that hold the cushions, and subsequently your tush in the chairs/loveseats are broken. The cushions themselves look soiled and worn. Hopefully these are on the list for replacement.

The restaurant was fine, food was good, although the variety would get old quickly if you were eating all your meals there. Service was so-so, but typical for "island time".

The staff in the dive shop itself was pleasant, efficient and attentive. The dive crews were good at what they do, what little they did do. Easy Divers is not a valet diving operation, which is fine with me as I prefer to deal with my own gear, but those divers who do prefer valet diving will not find it there.

Overall, the lodging and dive sevice were adequate and commesurate with what the package cost.

Update on the Food at Habitat Oceans:
The Habitat Hotel and Oceans Restaurant recently hired a new Chef, Jose Zabala Martinez from Venezuela and studied in Spain.
They are now offering a new dinner menu with Carpaccio, Grayfish, Tuna, and Asian Vegetable Tempura. Oceans has also hired some new restaurant staff and open 7 days per week.

Now that the rainy season has begun, new plantings and landscaping have taken place.

Flamingo Villa, Curacao Villa Rental

we just got back from habitat...they said there was wireless in the lobby but it was really slow I think 5 dolalrs for 24 hours but again, not so great. Will be posting my trip report tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom