Hack for RAW storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ektess1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking at the DC 800. It has pretty much everything that I want except the picture storage format. Has anybody heard of a software patch to make it record RAW?

If it isn't already offered I very much doubt whether an after-market hack will enable it. In any case, if you could how would you then interpret the RAW files? RAW is different from camera to camera, and the RAW interpreters have to be written.

A fairly generic format that would also do well is TIFF, but the same caveat applies.

I don't know the actual camera mind.

I have been looking at the DC 800. It has pretty much everything that I want except the picture storage format. Has anybody heard of a software patch to make it record RAW?

There is no software patch available that will make a SeaLife shoot in RAW format. Our cameras use JPEG still image format and .AVI video format. RAW is a format used by professionals which gives unlimited freedom for post-editing and image manipulation.

I didn't notice, I thought this also had a tiff format. I can live without raw, although my current land camera has raw and I do use it often. but tiff is also a high quality image.
With 8mb capability, you can do a lot with a jpeg at 8mb. It's not quite the same, but if you are fairly proficient in photoshop, you can clean up a lot then resample in tiff for making prints.

Use Google and enter "AVI to RAW" you should find any number of programs to convert the file after you download it. Considering that after download would be the only time the file format should matter.

TIFF? Thats more like a flip book animation then a video format.
Again... you can find a converter online that you could do it.

Lets be reasonable...
You don't want this to be a $1000 camera and $800 case do you?

Whats next? Not happy that it don't do wireless/bluetooth downloads and battery charging so you never have to open the case?

Why not just ask for a solar cell recarger built into the case while we're at it...lol
Oh wait directions say to keep it out of the sun.

Pretty harsh on someone who simply asked a question about picture images, not video...

Considering that after download would be the only time the file format should matter.

Lets be reasonable...
You don't want this to be a $1000 camera and $800 case do you?

Whats next? Not happy that it don't do wireless/bluetooth downloads and battery charging so you never have to open the case?

By the time the image is downloaded it has already be compressed into a JPEG by the camera. This is why I want RAW files. I don't want the data loss.

Since the camera already has the photo in RAW before it saves it as a JPEG it would not increase the price.

If you know of any way to do the download and charging while keeping the price down, let us know. It would be worth millions.

Since the camera wasn't designed to produce a RAW file the process of interpreting the output from the sensor may be combined with that of producing the JPEG file. In fact, that's what I would expect.

I think you should forget trying to produce a RAW file from this camera and find another one that does produce RAW - there are enough of them out there.

Please don't forget, as I said earlier, that there is no recognised format of "RAW". It is merely a generic term for the output from the sensor and varies according to sensor and camera. Even if you could extract a RAW file what would you do with it, in the absence of an interpreter?

:angrymob:
Pretty harsh on someone who simply asked a question about picture images, not video...

My error on assuming it was about video.

Too harsh? It was half in jest guess i need to paste in more smile faces. :mooner:

Not really harsh considering all the messages and e-mails I've been getting from people about the camera. :gun:

Some have legit issues like the sound bug... most are just bitching because it doesn't have some feature some other camera has. Most are upset about video related issues.

If you ask me what I think of the camera and I say I like it then you tell me bla bla it sucks because it can't do this or that... You suck. I errored in rading into the RAW complain with a little pent up hostility at these people :lotsalove:

When I look up the benchmark cameras they seem to be judging it by they are twice as expensive.

And yes adding more file format options means more hardwired software adding more internal parts meaning more added cost, bulk, weight... It all adds up. More cost in development, programing...

Appart from that someone outspoken will allways be unhappy that thier favorite format isn't supported native in the device. :deadhorse:

Buy it or don't, the specs are posted at the Sealife website.
I like it quite a bit and feel it was well worth the money.

If you hate the camera for what ever reason, go get something else for twice as much with all the features you feel are what you need.
:angrymob:

By the time the image is downloaded it has already be compressed into a JPEG by the camera. This is why I want RAW files. I don't want the data loss.

Since the camera already has the photo in RAW before it saves it as a JPEG it would not increase the price.

If you know of any way to do the download and charging while keeping the price down, let us know. It would be worth millions.

Thats the point, more features, more price...

Guess I could build a waterproof case for my cell phone? :rofl3:

What do you mean i don't get any signal in 50-feet of water with no cell towers for 20 miles!!! This phone SUCKS! I want to txt my BFF about this star fish!

Oh well, at least I can play bejeweled while I do a safety stop and listen to my MP3s through the case while I dive :eyebrow:

Come to think of it if you have a smart phone you can load a dive table calculator on it, use it as a backup dive timer and do a lot of other things... I might need to explore this more.

Back
Top Bottom