Haigh Quarry Virgin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so I am reporting back from my experience.

I did not know it was the Haigh Memorial Dive until you guys mentioned it. My dive buddy wanted to be there at 7am, so we got there early, but gates didn't open till 8. No big deal, XM radio helped to pass the time. Once we were in, gear rental was CHEAP! (inexpensive that is). I was given a hood, gloves a farmer john and wetsuit. I was surprised how much weight I needed (24 lbs) in fresh water, but that stuff really makes you buoyant! At the surface, it was like bathwater
15 ft: ok
30 ft: chilly
below 40 ft: BRRRRRR!

We did 2 dives. We saw the flamingo grass cutter, rock crusher, a few drill sorta things, boat and sculptures. There were some cool bluegill (I think?) nesting grounds and feeding catfish. I really wanted to practice buoyancy control, but I spent my 2 dives getting used to the new gear! At first it was hot and claustrophobic, but once under 30ft, I barely felt it on me. Vizibility was really poor. At best, I think it was 5ft. There were times where I looked at my dive buddy, got distracted by a fish, and when I looked back for my buddy, silt kickup was so bad I just saw a faint shadow and a bubble!

Despite all this, I want to go back again! I liked being able to dive simply for the sake of diving, without the need to book a flight to someplace exotic. Now I just gotta get my gf to "warm" to the idea :D

Get a little more cold water experience and then get out and enjoy the awesome diving you have right next door ... the wrecks in Lake Michigan!

Krukster,

I, too, am glad you had a good time.

The Farmer Johns drove me crazy. So I bought a SolaFx 8 mil for colder dives. I think I used close to 30 pounds on a newer Farmer John I rented. Makes good buoyancy troublesome and takes time getting used to.

Most of the quarry divers here end up with a dry suit.

I have not been to Haigh, but hope to, eventually.

Back
Top Bottom