Hair Care when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starrlamia...I am standing by to provide advise...lol. In all seriousness, nobody will give a darn about how your hair looks while diving or during SI. The most important thing is practicality, either keep them short (do not use me as a role model), tie them or wear a scarf of some sort to keep them away from your face and mask. When diving is done, just wash them and use conditioner. That sums it up. (That's what my GF does)

Starrlamia...I am standing by to provide advise...lol. In all seriousness, nobody will give a darn about how your hair looks while diving or during SI. The most important thing is practicality, either keep them short (do not use me as a role model), tie them or wear a scarf of some sort to keep them away from your face and mask. When diving is done, just wash them and use conditioner. That sums it up. (That's what my GF does)

haha!

I dont care what it looks like (it was a chelsea after all) I just dont want to completely ruin it, as I dye my hair a lot, so the less damage over the week of salt water the better :p Plus I figured maybe some of the fab ladies on this board would have some secret trick for a newb :p

Well the bottom line is, your hair and color will be better protected if you saturate it with something, even water, before jumping. Saltwater is torture on hair, and whatever penetrates the hair shaft first will be what has the most influence. You won't get as much saltwater penetration into the hair follicle if it is already wet. I always schedule cut and color after a dive trip.

And the beanie cap is the best if you have any trouble with your hair tearing like I do.

And the beanie cap is the best if you have any trouble with your hair tearing like I do.

Haven't tried this for diving yet, but I will on my next dive! I've used it in the pool and it stays put really well with a close profile...I'm mainly concerned with my hair getting torn by mask straps etc. But I'm thinking with something like this, you could also put some conditioner on underneath and it wouldn't get rinsed out... check it out, it's pretty cheap and holds up well.
Solid Nylon / LYCRA® Blend - Swim Caps - Speedo USA Swimwear

Haven't tried this for diving yet, but I will on my next dive! I've used it in the pool and it stays put really well with a close profile...I'm mainly concerned with my hair getting torn by mask straps etc. But I'm thinking with something like this, you could also put some conditioner on underneath and it wouldn't get rinsed out... check it out, it's pretty cheap and holds up well.
Solid Nylon / LYCRA® Blend - Swim Caps - Speedo USA Swimwear

Yeah, mask straps do tear my hair, no matter what kind I get, but not when the strap is over the beanie. But if I dive without the beanie, my hair will get so tangled that I can't comb it out with any sort of product without tearing it.

I'm talking about those dorkie neoprene beanies with a chin strap that Henderson and others sell. Microprene 2® Tropic Hood I've tried scap caps, lycra caps, all sorts of things, and they won't stay on my head. My hair is pretty slick, so the sexy Henderson beanie with chin strap was the only thing that worked. Anything in your hair will probably rinse out over a dive, but if it is wet prior to the dive, the hair shaft won't be able to absorb as much salt. Mine seems to be holding up better now that I wet it or put something wet in it first.

Let us know how that swim cap works. The regular rubber ones that I use for lap swimming aren't going to stay on me in the ocean. But the one you linked to is porous, right?... and may stay on a bit better.

Let us know how that swim cap works. The regular rubber ones that I use for lap swimming aren't going to stay on me in the ocean. But the one you linked to is porous, right?... and may stay on a bit better.

I have a rather small head.. when I friend recently looked at the label on my favorite winter hat she snickered when she saw the size was 24mos to 4T. Regular swim caps just don't stay on my head.. I switched over to the kids size and it works great. Not to mention I kinda like some of the character caps. :blinking:

The braid isn't going to work for short hair, but you won't get so many tangles either. Get a cute hat, the soft bendable kind with a string thing to keep it from blowing away. Moisturizing shampoo and a good conditioner after diving.

Just cut it all off...that would be about the most ecofriendly solution to your predicament.

i thought i replied yesterday.

in any case thank you guys for your recommendations, I want to make sure if i use any products it is safe for the ecosystem, that is my top concern. I have pretty short hair, not buzz cut short but I had a chelsea during the summer so the shortest bits are about 4 inches, just enough to get in the way and get gross when diving lol.

Yeah, mask straps do tear my hair, no matter what kind I get, but not when the strap is over the beanie. But if I dive without the beanie, my hair will get so tangled that I can't comb it out with any sort of product without tearing it.

I'm talking about those dorkie neoprene beanies with a chin strap that Henderson and others sell. Microprene 2® Tropic Hood I've tried scap caps, lycra caps, all sorts of things, and they won't stay on my head. My hair is pretty slick, so the sexy Henderson beanie with chin strap was the only thing that worked. Anything in your hair will probably rinse out over a dive, but if it is wet prior to the dive, the hair shaft won't be able to absorb as much salt. Mine seems to be holding up better now that I wet it or put something wet in it first.

Hah! I didn't know they sold such things, dorky but whatever works right? :) The one I linked to is just med weight lycra (maybe blend?), like a sturdy swimsuit fabric...doesn't keep anything dry, just keeps the hair in place.

Just cut it all off...that would be about the most ecofriendly solution to your predicament.

lol id rather not!

thanks everyone :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom