Hair control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll state it outright. My hair thinks it is the illegitimate offspring of Medusa. But far worse behaved- and hairier- than you average snake. It's not the length that is the problem, it is the tendancy for it to turn into a poodle-with-its-paw-in-an-electric-scket type pooooooof when faced with the meerest trace of humidity. Or salt water. I have perfected my mask-clear-and-remove-the-single-stray-hair-causing-all-the-trouble move at 3- metres under water. But is there a preventative? A solve-all option? Hair ties just don't cut the mustard. Hoods help, but there are still fly-aways and in warm water... no way! I'm looking for inspiration and a genius solution! HELP ME!!!!!!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Women's View - Diving Related.

I know what you mean. I do not have very long hair, but long enough for it to get everywhere. I have the "poodleinsocket"-look everyday, and curly hair is very hard to tame.

I dive mostly in cold waters and have a hood which takes care of most of the problem.
In warm waters I had a billion of hair pins, but I ended up loosing most of them :)

So I stand in line for the perfect solution!

(btw, is it only women who have long hair? I know plenty of men, both divers and non-divers with long hair)

Dittos to aMc10. Work some good conditioner through your hair before diving. I do this and wear a hood in cold water and a beanie in warm water. Nobody cares what your hair is doing underwater unless it is getting stuck in your mask or in the way, etc. A hood/beanie solves that.

Out of the water, a good mousse or gel can help frizzies. Hair bands help, as do pretty hair ties. I just accept the fact that when I dive, my hair is not the priority when I am out of the water, and my hair does its own thing anyway. Sounds like you may do well to obtain the services of a good stylist to get the right cut and other tips for your specific needs.

Hey, I bet you are BEAUTIFUL anyway and don't need to worry endlessly about your hair. Good luck!

How about a do rag? There are several versions made for divers, which keep hair out of the way and provide sun protection without being hot like a hood, and they come in nice patterns.
You might want to avoid massive amounts of conditioner; it has to rinse out in the water and it can't be good for the reef. But a bit, or some spray detangler, can really help.
As for styles, a French braid can be good for keeping bits of different lengths under control. I can't help with the curls, though, my hair is pin straight! It's short now, but until 6 months ago it was to the middle of my back, so I've been there with the "dive hair" issues.

hats for between & after!

i've tried scuba do rags & not had much luck. not as much of a problem with slap straps, though - do you use one?

HairDo rags are great also. I have seen diver gals who wear them well. For me, unfortuately, a hair band or hair tie works better above water, with the hoodie or beanie below.

Absolutely, just a little conditioner on your hair in the hood works well and does not harm the environment. especially if keeping the hood/beanie on underwater during the dives.

Shark girl--

The year I got my c-card, I wanted to dive well into fall so bought a beanie to keep me warm while diving. A welcome surprise was how well it kept my hair in one place and now I wear one year round for just that reason.

Out of water, I clamp everything back with a big clip, kind of tight so the frizzes can't begin. Next dive, clamp comes off and beanie goes on.

Most of my diving is local in murky lakes (Texas swamp diver, here), and a beanie keeps your hair from becoming a filter for all the flotsam and jetsam that tends to be proliferous in July and August.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom