Hair control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually do two pony tails on either side, then join them in the center with a third tie to make it easier to get through my drysuit seal. I am very nervous though that one of the metal clasps on the hair tie will snag the seal though- I may have to leave it down till I get my neck in, then put it up. I think I am going to have some length taken off my hear to help a bit though- It's mid-back now. I pull the ties out after the last dive and spray "No More Tangles" (yes, the one for kids. It's strawberry scented ;o) all over. I let it set for about 2 minutes, then start to comb through the hair. It usually takes me a while to get it all sorted out, but I've found that the quicker I get that process started after I surface for the last time, the easier and quicker it is to do. I pull my head out of the neck seal, put the suspenders up, and start in on the hair. The guys always make fun of me. hehe

Braids absolutely do not work for me- no matter how tight I get the braid, little chunks always end up coming out and tangling around the rest of it making it ten times worse to detangle afterwards than when just going with a simple pony. I cannot french braid my own hair so can't speak for that, but normal braids don't work for me.

Are you women really shaving your heads?

(not that there is anything wrong with that)

but...is that a "look"?
'

Yes! And no, it was for charity. I hadn't had a hair cut for over ten years and a few people said to me I should do the 'Shave for a Cure' event we have in Aus for cancer. Anyway, it was actually starting scuba diving that hastened my decision to shave it off :p Long frizzy hair is a nightmare when diving - wouldn't fit under various types of hoods I have tried, would escape whilst diving and get stuck under my mask or around my regulator or my tank valve, and for days after would be like straw from the salt. Braids didn't do anything at all for my hair type actually, it is very curly and I can't even get it all into a braid with dry hair for any length of time. For straight hair though, I hear braids and pony tails work well. Seeing as the OP has Medusa like hair (I feel your pain, mine was the same!) I think the best you can do from my experience is follow the advice about the leave in conditioner. Putting it on before (I forgot that in my previous comment) and after seems to be best. And brush it as soon as possible after you get out of the water. Anyway, as a frequent swimmer and now diver, that is basically the only thing I have found to work out of the suggestions here for Medusa type hair. :)

Shark girl;
You will never get rid of all the fly-aways caused by humidity unless you use some oily product that is going to necessitate several washings.

I have very long hair with the constant curly edges when I am in tropical weather. I get up and take a shower (this helps my sinuses too) and for my hair, use an inexpensive conditioner. I either french braid my hair if I am wearing a hood or twist a bun located high on the back of my head if i am without a hood. My mask has a neoprene strap that fits over my existing rubber strap (not those cheap straps that attach in lieu of a mask strap). This minimizes my hair flowing all over the place.

I dive cold water often and the #1 question from non-divers is "What do you do with your hair?". I tell them that I braid it and wear a hood. After all, I do not want to be a slave to fashion, but don't want to look like some crazed freak.

THanks for all the suggestions! I plait my hair or pop it into a pony tail, but it's the little shorter bits round my face that really cause the issues! (I don't have a fringe but the little whispies are thick enough to cause mask leaks and get in the way). I'll certainly try the conditioner option. I already use a hood when I dive round here in NZ but although it controls the plait, those little bits always seem to squirm their way out! My buddies tend to find their buddy check needs to extend to a hair check! I like the beanie idea, as I could pull this over my forehead or a do-rag if I can find one that comes down close to my ears. The neoprene strap suggestion could be good for tropical diving (I find it's the bits at the front that cause the most problem- and add to that crazed medusa look!).

my only other suggestion is to put your hood on last, pretty much before you put on your tanks. *don't* pull it back past around your neck and then pull it back up. for me, that's what makes the little hairs come forward. just put it on so that your hair's smoothly back. is that description making sense? like, guys might have their hood all around their neck and pull it up around their face when they're ready to go, but i can't stand to have my hair going backwards & it makes the little hairs come out of the front of the mask.

I usually do two pony tails on either side, then join them in the center with a third tie to make it easier to get through my drysuit seal. I am very nervous though that one of the metal clasps on the hair tie will snag the seal though-

I buy a box of what seems to be a zillion of those nickel-circumference sized hair elastics. They stretch a bit after you use them several times, but there are so many that come in the box at once and are very inexpensive. I buy clear since my hair is blond, but they come in black too if your hair is darker. They also seem to hold better than the classic hairbands and don't fall off when you put your head through the neck seal of a dry suit. The best thing is that they do not shred your hair.

I am a guy with long hair. I keep it pulled back and ponytailed with 4-7 hair ties. Then I wet my hair before pulling my hood on. Pull the hood on in a way that it starts from your eyes and pulls backward. This action pulls ALL hair back and the hood holds it back. I have never gotten a stray hair in my mask this way.

The Beard and Moustasche were another problem all together though.

My hair also has a mind of it's own. It's just short of hitting my shoulders, so to control the top, I put it in two pony tails on each side sticking straight up on top of my head. My dive buddies can identify me underwater and laugh about my hair lying down when I swim and standing straight up when I stop. Of course, there are the nicknames of Pippie (Longstocking) and Topsie. Keeps it pretty managable.

Some great suggestions in here! I have prolific naturally curly long hair as well. For me, the do rag does not work either (and causes mask slippage as well- annoying). I just brain my hair from the base of my skull down. Then, I use the hair grease goo- not tons- just enough to control the frizzies. It doesn't require multiple washings at least for me to get it out- takes care of the fly away really well. Uhm, I use a neoprene mask strapper that doesn't catch my hair.

Topside I use Tressemme defrizzing gel strong hold- before I dry. It keeps a control on the hair, but, still leaves it soft.

You never know- the shaving it might not be a bad idea- actually one of my friends shaves her hair every summer- to donate for kids in need...and her noggin looks good shaved!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom