Halcyon b/w or hydros pro for cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for looking at Vintage Double Hose vs Halcyon for BP/W. The VDH 35lb wing is extremely compact and has built in roll stability for tank eliminating need for a STA. I have with AL backplate and recently took on trip to Turks and Caicos, packed two peoples worth of dive gear in a single bag, 45 lbs. add a couple of inexpensive ditchable and trim weight pockets and you will have enough weight and lift capacity for cold water diving as well.

The old complete single DGX set up was only US$199.00 and the new unit now cost $349.00. But is still a lot cheaper than the H.

I would add the SS plate for extra $10.00 for cold water diving(dry suit).

the wing was 199 and package was 299 with a plate, harness, and cam bands.

You will get all sorts of varying opinions. Remember, they are simply opinions; nothing that can really give you a definitive answer as to which one your should get. If at possible, try each one out, even it is just the pool. Go into a dive shop put one on and play with it. I know people who own the Hydros and love it. I also know people who use a Halcyon bp/w and they too love it.

I have used both and prefer the Hydros Pro. The reason is it is lighter and with the travel harness is extremely light and easy to travel with. I also prefer the integrated weight system. I also found the Hydros much more comfortable to dive with. They are both on the expensive side for like products of a different brand. I bought the Halcyon because everyone on here seemed to love diving with a wing and back plate so I drank the cool-aid. I never did like diving with it as much as I did the back inflate bc's. This is just my opinion and experience, so take it for what it's worth. I am sure I will be crucified on this forum for this opinion though.

I have never dove with either one but I have two friends who loved their BP/W until they tried the Hydros. After one dive trip they sold their BP/W and now they only dive the Hydros. And these were die hard BP/W guys.

I have never dove with either one but I have two friends who loved their BP/W until they tried the Hydros. After one dive trip they sold their BP/W and now they only dive the Hydros. And these were die hard BP/W guys.

Funny.......... they were Siamese twins?

My suggestions suit my style of diving and are to be taken as should all comments via internet strangers.
You can do what ever you want. Dive and let dive. My Cold water single tank rig is not the best option for warm water travel diving IMHO. YMMV
For me I don't want to carry around an STA and I don't want to use a large wing 35lb or larger to dive in board shorts and a rashie.
If you switch out the wing and the backplate all you are missing is some webbing and hardware to have two fit for purpose rigs and not a single rig that compromises.

I have two complete Halcyon single tank rigs for the same reason. I have a SS plate with. 30lb wing for more advanced diving and a carbon plate with a 20lb wing for travel.

Back
Top Bottom