Halcyon Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at getting into a backplate and wing setup and my local dive shop sell Halcyon, they say nothing else compares in quality but at $795 plus taxes I think that seems pretty steep?
Are they really that much better than anything else? is it worth the extra money?

I have Halcyon and a DUX setup... I dont see a difference. Mt buddy has a Dive Rite rig and I dont think its *as* nice. The OxyC wing I have is also not as nice...

Get your hands on a couple BP wing setups then decide.

I would add only that its important to pick the gear for the toughest conditions you will dive. I consider gear selection a confidence issue. I believe Halcyon produces quality. I dont mind paying for it... I dont think Oxy or DiveRite produce crap but under the ice I feel better in my Halcyon rig.

I am looking at getting into a backplate and wing setup and my local dive shop sell Halcyon, they say nothing else compares in quality but at $795 plus taxes I think that seems pretty steep?
Are they really that much better than anything else? is it worth the extra money?

No, their equipment is not worth the money. It's good, but not that good. Look @ Deep Sea Supply and watch e-bay and the for sale section on the boards. I've got some of the Halcyon stuff at good prices.

DSS and Oxycheq are some of the top quality and streamline gear you can get for a cheaper price..unless you are doing DIR compliant diving then the H brand doesnt really matters..

Complete crap. Not the H gear, the drivel you got from your LDS.

There is a lot of stuff that is equally good, in fact there are a number of single tank wings from companies like DSS, Oxycheq, etc. that are actually better due to the narrow profile vs. the H single tank wings which haven't been updated in years.

I really don't have an issue with the H stuff (in fact I rent it when I can't bring my own BP/W), but you are paying about 20%-25% extra for the logos.

If it were me, I'd find a new LDS.

There are many BP/W makers that make good stuff (HOG, Oxycheq, etc.). IMO, having gone through 10-ish wings, DSS makes stuff that is equal in quality to Halcyon. If you can't afford, don't want to pay for, or can't work out a good deal for the H setup, I would look at DSS.

well $795 is the best they can do and will only honour that price for 30 days, it goes back up to $865 after that. I am up here in Western Canada and haven't looked around other stores yet. I am also hesitant to buy online without seeing what I am buying, the few things I have bought off of ebay I got screwed

One of the things that I look for when I purchase a product is not only the quality of the product, but the level of customer service/support. I having recently made a change to a bpw I went with a DSS. Not only have I not heard a bad remark about them, but Tobin's level of customer service has been outstanding (even prior to purchasing one). His goal is not to sell a product just to sell it, but to ensure that you are buying exactly what you need. I have sent him numerous emails and not one has gone unanswered. He is also a very active member here on SB, so he is easy to get in touch with. An added bonus of the DSS, you pay a fraction of the cost for a product that is just as good as the one you are contemplating.

If you are sold on Halcyon, the only way you are probably gong to get it cheaper is to buy it used. They make great products so you won't be wasting your money per se, but from what I have seen, even the price of a used one is just as expensive as a new DSS.

well $795 is the best they can do and will only honour that price for 30 days, it goes back up to $865 after that. I am up here in Western Canada and haven't looked around other stores yet. I am also hesitant to buy online without seeing what I am buying, the few things I have bought off of ebay I got screwed
Just to be clear, is that price in Canadian Dollars?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom