Halcyon Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you can find another quality brand that's already in Canada, I'm not sure how much you would save by buying a less expensive brand from a U.S. source. After currency conversion rates, shipping, and import fees, you'd probably end-up spending pretty close to the same amount. Buying from a local dealer also gives you the opportunity to have some place close to take it for servicing.

ScubaToys is haveing a closeout on DiveRite wings at USD$159 and their DiveRite alu bp with hog harness cost around USD$120..all in all thats around USD$280 for a complete set up (provided no STA is required)...and DiveRite makes some top quality gear too!

no I would not save any money buying from the states I know that. my point is, is Halcyon that much better? or is it the brand that we are paying for? DSS looks like pretty good quality but I can't find any prices for a full set up.

I have an Oxycheq rig that I put together through Scubatoys for about half of what you were quoted for that Halcyon set up. I think Oxycheq's quality is excellent. Having said that, I talked to Tobin over at DSS on the phone when I thought I needed a different size backplate. He was extremely helpful and very patient when answering all my dumb-ass questions...and I hadn't even bought anything from him. I've got to believe his customer service would be first rate...but then again, so is Scubatoys'. They always bend over backwards do make sure I'm happy.

no I would not save any money buying from the states I know that. my point is, is Halcyon that much better? or is it the brand that we are paying for? DSS looks like pretty good quality but I can't find any prices for a full set up.
There are going to be a lot of detractors of Halcyon simply because of Halcyon's relationship with the DIR crowd. But take that association away and the equipment is definitely high quality, well made gear. Are they that much better? I don't know. Are you paying more because of the name? Probably, but that reputation was earned. When you get a rig from them, you're getting one of the best. They don't skimp on materials. The outer shells of their wings are made from some of the thickest ballistic nylon of any manufacturer, as are the bladders. You get stainless steel cam buckles, not plastic. And the backplates have nicely beveled edges and great finishes. And that's just to name a few of the details. But, at the end of the day, you have to feel comfortable with what you purchased and how much you paid. I dive a Halcyon and have no regrets. Although I do wish they would be a little more sparing in their use of their logo on the equipment. Maybe just a little "H" here and there.

Both Halcyon and DSS make good gear. Good quality or even better than good quality. They are also both very customer service oriented from my experiences with both on service, repair and pre-sales assistance.

The major difference is that Halcyon has a slightly more established traditional dealer network. What that means is that you pay traditional retail prices under most conditions (eg. normal retail mark ups).

That said, the only other difference is that DSS provides more choices in terms of configuration... so that's a good thing, more choices... need a small stainless backplate... you can get that from DSS... want a Kydex backplate with an 18# travel wing... again DSS... the downside, lots of choices can equal more confusion unless there's some guidance from someone or some own personal experience with wings and plates... Tobin does a great job of mentoring his soon-to-be customers in terms of navigating all the choices.

Julian;
You may also want to check out FredT. PM him on this board and he'll send you some info. Fred has quality kit. You can even get finished or unfinished and save some $$$.
Bill who owns waaaay to many plates.

Julian,

For the most part, any backplate will work well. It is a piece of metal and provided the holes are cut in the right places (which they are with any major scuba manufacturer) the plate will work.

Wings require a bit more engineering, of course and Halcyon makes a good wing but they are very expensive. I prefer DiveRite, Salvo and Golem Gear (the Golem Gear 35 LB Aluminum Combo is on sale for $420 right now, a great deal in my opinioin).

The one thing you want to ask yourself is, what do you intend to do with this gear, that may help you make the most appropriate decisions.

In the end, most BP/W combinations will work for most divers.

Jeff

my point is, is Halcyon that much better?
No. Good gear, no better than many other brands (I own a lot of Halcyon gear, and a lot of other brands, and I think I can comment with some degree of objectivity.)
or is it the brand that we are paying for?
Yes. There appears to be a premium associated with the H, for whatever reason. I do not have any evidence that suggests the premium is justified.
DSS looks like pretty good quality but I can't find any prices for a full set up.
PM Tobin, on this board. Or, pick up the phone and call DSS.

Back
Top Bottom