Halcyon Backplate or Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried both and found the stainless backplate to be less comfortable. Also due to the conditions in which I dive, the backplate made me overweighted without any dumpable weight. I wear a 2mm full and only need 4lbs. Water here never falls below 80F.

Buy what works best for you and your dive conditions.

I dive the Tranpac II everyday with both twins and singles. Just had it on this morning with twins and sidemounts and caught myself smiling during the dive when I thought about how comfortable it really is.

safe diving:)

Originally posted by dlarbale
All,

Now I might be wrong here (and I hope I am as I've got a $100 SS door stop at the moment), but with a SS BP you can't set up independant (un-banded) cylinders. So are you going to carry your bands, spanner (wrench), and manifold into the cave and attempt to get it set up right?

Just my 2 pence worth - Dave.

You can set up independent doubles with a SS BP.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tanks/inde_double_rigs.html

The acid test is simple. Try reaching and turning the valves off/on with both. You will find that it is relatively easy with a properly set up BP. I have yet to see someone with a TII do it without releasing the belt and/or moving the tanks up from the bottom with their hand. If you need to use both hands to get it done then you will have a problem when it counts.

I moved to a BP from a TII because of this and a number of other reasons (i.e. more stable, feels better, more streamlined, no straps hanging all over, no plastic buckles etc). I have 2 TII's sitting in my garage now.

There are also aluminum BP's available to reduce weight if needed.

omar

Omar: "I have yet to see someone with a TII do it without releasing the belt and/or moving the tanks up from the bottom with their hand."

Of the more than 15 people I dive regularly with, 14 have TPII's and I have never seen a single person use the techniques you suggest. Sounds like the people you saw didn't set up right.

It only took two dives to get the TPII set up correctly and I have not had a single problem manipulating tank valves.

Originally posted by omar
The acid test is simple. Try reaching and turning the valves off/on with both. You will find that it is relatively easy with a properly set up BP. I have yet to see someone with a TII do it without releasing the belt and/or moving the tanks up from the bottom with their hand.
Excuse me???
I've never had a problem reaching the valves using the Transpac II. Without releasing any straps. Without pushing the tanks up. Indeed, this is the first time I've ever even heard this claim.
Rick

Pug,

Thought that the idea of the BP + harness was one system for any diving scenario - have read his in the DIR texts.

Obviously the BP doesn't work for the scenario I gave whereas the TransPac II does. With this in mind I tried to think of a scenario where the TransPac II wouldn't work and to be honest I couldn't think of one.

Now the fact that I'm not going to be diving these systems all the time is somewhat irrelivant. The point is that I want to be comfortable in the setup I have and familiar with it. Therefore if I've dived in a BP + harness most of the time and switch for the scenario given I'll straight away be in un-familiar equipment.

Just rationalising my thought process - please point out all the flaws!!

Thanks - Dave.

PS// Mr Crab - thanks for the link to setting up independent doubles on a BP, this resolves the entire issue detailed above and has definately swayed me towards the BP Harness setup once again.

Hello, again.

WOW!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input. This thread has brought to light issues that I had not even considered.

I dove both systems this weekend. I took them out on fairly easy shore dives to approx. 65" fsw. I tried swimming through narrow trenches (I wanted to simulate corridors, hatches, etc... without the overhead) The TPII is easier to don and doff. It is streamlined and comfortable.

The Halcyon fit me like a glove. I like the tight fit. The backplate is comfortable as (1) it provides excellent support for my 120; (2) it positions the tank perfectly; and (3) I wear a drysuit with heavy underwear, so I've got plenty of padding.

Just to be on the safe side, I tried the Halcyon on over a 3mm suit that I wear in the Caymans. No problem.

I've decided to go with the Halcyon for the reasons set forth above. I'm not overly worried about the independent doubles issues as we don't have diveable cave systems up here (at least none that I know about); and (2) the wrecks I dive are accessible while wearing doubles (or at least while pushing them through and following on).

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted.

Originally posted by dlarbale
Pug, Obviously the BP doesn't work for the scenario I gave whereas the TransPac II does.

Mr Crab - thanks for the link to setting up independent doubles on a BP, this resolves the entire issue detailed above and has definately swayed me towards the BP Harness setup once again.
Shoot... make up your mind... does it or doesn't it... do you or don't you....

This is starting to remind me of another poster...

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

Excuse me???
I've never had a problem reaching the valves using the Transpac II. Without releasing any straps. Without pushing the tanks up. Indeed, this is the first time I've ever even heard this claim.
Rick

That's a big Ditto on that one. They valves are quite easy to manipulate on the transpac!! If any thing my transpac is far more comfy than my backplate, wich I promarily use for trimix dives:) IMHO..

Len

Pug,

Your worse than my bloody Course Director (currently doing an IDC) - he's always right as well!

OK I'll admit it the PS bit was an add on where I shot myself in the foot. I'm really good at doing this, I think things through to the n'th degree, answer my own questions and still pose them to others!!

Thanks - Dave.

Back
Top Bottom