Halcyon Cinch Quick-Adjust Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayde323

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The hubby and I were diving up at Ginnie this past weekend and stopped into Extreme Exposure. We needed a crotch strap for my soon-to-be completed doubles rig and we saw the new adjustable harness. It looks tempting, but I am just not sure I want to hand over $99 just yet. I like the fact I could get out of the harness pretty quick and that I wouldn't have to spend time adjusting the harness depending on what wetsuit I am wearing, just tighten and go. It is still a continuious piece of webbing, so technically it is still DIR (or so says the salesman), but is it really? I like the traditional DIR set up because there is no extra froo-froo crap on my rig, just want I need, where I need it. I am not too concerned in being 100% DIR, although I rarely stray. I just want my diving to be fun and enjoyable. I could have rented one while I was up there, but I decided not to since I needed to test out the BP we set up for my doubles.

For those that are unfamiliar with it, Extreme Exposure has a little movie on their homepage on how to use it, and I found this on You Tube YouTube - Halcyon Infinity BC - Cinch Introduction .

My question is, does anyone have one? Love/hate it? Any drawbacks that anyone can think of?

Thanks!

Stacey

My question is, does anyone have one? Love/hate it? Any drawbacks that anyone can think of?

We've got four in our training gear and I've had a bit of a play with them.

I'd seriously consider getting one for myself, just for the diving we do off small boats that involve getting gear off in the water - it would certainly make life more easy for that.

You can get them to be "just right" (i.e. not over tight) by putting a tri-glide on the harness that stops the cinch action when the harness is just how you want it.

My local LDS highly recommended as well as the staff at my out of town LDS (Extreme Exposure). When I recently took the Fundementals class in High Springs my instructor asked my why I installed the sytem when it is simple to dial in a traditional rig and be done with it although he had one installed on his rig. :idk:

That being said, it is of use for me as the private boat I dive off of does not utilize a ladder (don't ask) and I must doff my rig in water. Because of my unique situation it is of value although I am still getting used to cinching in to a consistant fit. To be honest, unless you are an instructor or someone with unique needs such as mine referenced above I would stay put with the basic system....

Last edited:
I've seen it, played with it, and put some thought into it.

There's certainly nothing wrong with it from a DIR standpoint, but its real convinient for people changing exposure protection frequently, rentals, and diving where one removes their rig on the surface. But, if you don't do any of those things, a fixed harness is just fine and much cheaper. The harness is really secure when its on and buckled, and there are no platic gizmos to break, so thats something you don't have to worry about.

The only piece of H equipment it isn't compatable with is the right hand zipper pocket, so if thats an important part of your equipment, the Cinch isn't for you. Some sets of doubles have shorter bolts, and the cinch plate adds a little extra depth to the bottom of the plate. Halcyon sells a little adapter thing (I think its included, actually) that will make the bottom bolt longer. If you have those shorter bolts and lose that adapter right before a dive, you're up the creek without a paddle.

Like most things, its a tool. If your diving style would benefit from it, I'd say go for it. If not, then the fixed harness is the simpler option.

You can get them to be "just right" (i.e. not over tight) by putting a tri-glide on the harness that stops the cinch action when the harness is just how you want it.

We were writing our posts at the same time. Great tip. Thanks!

I've seen it, played with it, and put some thought into it.

There's certainly nothing wrong with it from a DIR standpoint,

Do any at GUE responsible for maintaining DIR standards agree with you. If they do, I think I'll have to readjust my opinion of them.

Do any at GUE responsible for maintaining DIR standards agree with you. If they do, I think I'll have to readjust my opinion of them.

All the GUE instructors have a set. I have been using one for the last 3 months. It offers options for those people who struggle to get in and out of a traditional harness, but if you already use a OPH happily, then you won't get anything from the cinch.

They are also a great product for rentals/try-outs as the harness can be quickly adjusted, even underwater.

HTH

John

I'm a bit confused, having never seen it in person (just watched the youtube video). What is your left hip D ring attached to? Some kind of pocket thingy? What about the HID can? How is that secured in one place?

I'm a bit confused, having never seen it in person (just watched the youtube video). What is your left hip D ring attached to? Some kind of pocket thingy? What about the HID can? How is that secured in one place?

The Infinity system comes with adapters to allow multiple configurations... The "pocket thingy" on either side are modular weight drop pockets. When I received my Infinity rig, these were removed in about the first 10 minutes after opening the box, but will be added back on for convenience whenever I do any ocean diving.

The Cinch is a pretty nifty device that makes it far easier to don/dof a rig in any conditions, and I think it could be especially useful for anyone diving doubles.

Does it appear to be "fluffy"..? Yep, it sure does! However, unlike every other "quick-adjust" system out there, it is as stated a single piece of webbing rather than quick detach buckles that are well known failure points.

To be honest, I actually didn't want it but I was pushed into the complete Infinity system by Andrew @ EE because I was already going to be spending $100 more for the shoulder and back pads that are pretty critical for me due to prior injuries and continued nerve issues in my back, neck and shoulders, so ultimately the cost was negated...

In regards to the right pocket, I'm not so sure that it can't be added because of the modular nature of this system. Unless someone has already verified that it in fact cannot be used, I would tend to believe otherwise. You simply need to remove the weight pockets (which I have) and you should be good to go. Aside from the Cinch and Pads, I have my Infinity rigged exactly like a traditionally stripped down Halcyon BP/W with an additional D-ring on the right hip. Why..? Because this would be how I was instructed to rig one when being first introduced to them by my mentor, SeaJay. He placed me in my first BP/W when we had an opportunity to dive together commercially for 4 days in November and again for 8 days in early December. :)

-Tim

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom