Halcyon Cinch Quick-Adjust Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, johnkendall is an instructor & he says they all use them. Valhalla says he did fundies in one while his instructor used one. Sounds like everyone thinks it's DIR but me. I'm even more amazed to find out integrated weight pockets are DIR.

Just to be clear, we all HAVE them, we don't all USE them. I am planning on switching back to a standard harness at somepoint. I've been using the cinch to work out the small details needed while using one, but I've not found a real need for it with my diving.

Whatever happened to the KISS paradigm. Seems I know even less about DIR principles than I thought. Must be time for me to get out of the forum.

I wouldn't get all hung up on what is or isn't DIR. The cinch does add complexity to the harness, however the complexity is worth it in some circumstances. For example people with large shoulders often find it hard to get the harness the right size to both reach their valves and easily get into and out of their harness. The cinch can help here.

HTH

John

Just to be clear, we all HAVE them, we don't all USE them. I am planning on switching back to a standard harness at somepoint. I've been using the cinch to work out the small details needed while using one, but I've not found a real need for it with my diving.

I wouldn't get all hung up on what is or isn't DIR. The cinch does add complexity to the harness, however the complexity is worth it in some circumstances. For example people with large shoulders often find it hard to get the harness the right size to both reach their valves and easily get into and out of their harness. The cinch can help here.

HTH

John

And those of us with limited flexibility owing to age and/or injuries appreciate having some more room while putting the harness on or taking it off. My standard harness requires a bit of a struggle when getting into (or especially out of) it. Currently, I have the choice of putting up with that, or else leaving it looser which allows the tank/BP to shift around some, rather defeating the purpose of the BP/wing. I do a fair amount of diving off RIBs, and most of them require or benefit from in-water doffing and donning. I'm definitely considering making the switch to the cinch - if money were no object I'd have already done so.

Guy

While this product looks very neat, I think you should adjust your priorities and save your money. There are more pressing issues that you should be concerned with like a new can light and drysuit for your husband.

Maybe you should ask for one for Christmas.

Nice try babe...you should know by now your money is my money. And i'll be damned if you get either of those before me! :wink:

Nice try babe...you should know by now your money is my money. And i'll be damned if you get either of those before me! :wink:

LOL, Goindrinkin, you're busted. :D

Actually I just got a set because I got tired of owning 2 backplate setups, one for drysuit and one for my wetsuit when in warm water. Also, I like the idea of playing around with the tightness of the rig while in the water to see what I like better.

I am a bit concerned with how the left D-Ring works and how stable that will be when carrying multiple bottles while scootering. We'll see.

Doc Wong,

You became a Guniea pig... Or can I say Guniea diver... :) Give us a report.... Thanks....

Doc, have you seen the new 2.5 mini SPG that they launched? It's bigger than my 2' inch SPG... Great on the eyes, only thing I don't like is that the 500 psi section is in red, why would they do that?

Doc Wong,

You became a Guniea pig... Or can I say Guniea diver... :) Give us a report.... Thanks....

Doc, have you seen the new 2.5 mini SPG that they launched? It's bigger than my 2' inch SPG... Great on the eyes, only thing I don't like is that the 500 psi section is in red, why would they do that?

So you know when to come up. Duh!
:)

Doc Wong,

double post. Whoops!

So you know when to come up. Duh!
:)

My Halcyon 2' spg doesn't have any red units, I know 500 is the end zone. The new 2.5' spg by Halcyon has colored red units at the end. Doesn't the red become difficult to see at depth, and divers prefer the SPG units with all black units?

27xp8bb.jpg

I want the larger one, because it's a little easier to grab with drygloves and 25% bigger numbers to see, yes I'm almost 40 years old... :) But I am not sure on the red units?

LOL, Goindrinkin, you're busted. :D

Actually I just got a set because I got tired of owning 2 backplate setups, one for drysuit and one for my wetsuit when in warm water. Also, I like the idea of playing around with the tightness of the rig while in the water to see what I like better.

I am a bit concerned with how the left D-Ring works and how stable that will be when carrying multiple bottles while scootering. We'll see.

Harry, assuming that you don't pull the left shoulder strap that far out when getting in or out, ISTM you could do without the extra webbing piece for the D-ring and mount it on the waist strap as usual, adjusting only the position of the tri-glide holding the D-ring for whichever suit you're wearing. That's a lot less hassle than adjusting the shoulder straps on a basic harness.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom