Halcyon corrugated hose on Apeks elbow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles the Chimp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone, I've lurked on these forums for years and learnt a great deal from the many excellent contributors, I was overdue to register finally.

So, for my first question, before I order one, try, and make a mistake, does anyone know whether Halcyon corrugated wing hoses fit onto Apeks WTX wing elbows (and K-inflators)?

I have a couple of Apeks wings which I like because they are narrow and low profile, and their K-inflators are nice too, but I hate how long the corrugated hoses are. If they were any longer I'd have to tuck them into my booties! I really like the Halcyon hoses and wonder if they have the same end fitting sizes and I can just swap them out. I know Apeks stuff can be a bit proprietary (e.g. the silly kidney vent/opv). It doesn't seem that Apeks sell a shorter hose themselves.

Thanks for your help, any advice is greatly appreciated!

If they are 1” hoses you can just buy the hose length you want, cut the zip ties and switch the hose and re-zip tie.

If they are 1” hoses you can just buy the hose length you want, cut the zip ties and switch the hose and re-zip tie.

You were spot on, thank you for your advice. I picked up the Halcyon hose because it looked the same as the Apeks just shorter, and they are both 1" by my measurements. So this is exactly what I wanted, a shorter hose that still looks OEM.

Apeks had put some adhesive or sealant where the hose attached to the elbow and inflator, which peeled away. I'm assuming this isn't vital as the rubber of the hose will seal against them and the zip-ties are on tight. I also removed the wire that stops you over-stretching the hose, particularly as these hoses have a lot of give. This model doesn't have pull to dump, although the PSD versions do IIRC, so again I can't see the wire's absence as a biggie, I only use the button to vent anyway on any bc. I have tested the wing with the new hose in place and all is working as it should be. I was careful removing the old one in case I ever need to put it back.

I'm pleased this wing now has a short inflator like all my other ones, much better for the muscle memory, the streamlining, and the function.

Here is the new hose attached with the old one next to it. I used two zip-ties instead of one on the K-inflator end as some of my other wings have that and I thought it made sense.

hose-change.jpg

What was the length of the halcyon one? Apeks does make two lengths of corrugated inflator hoses . I have a short version and think it could be shorter!

What was the length of the halcyon one? Apeks does make two lengths of corrugated inflator hoses . I have a short version and think it could be shorter!

The two Apeks lengths I have seen are 21" and 23". The 23" is what comes with the PSD model wings, and is a rounder hose as opposed to the flatter/wider style on the regular 21" WTX.

The Halcyon hose I replaced mine with is 12" (30.5cm), which is the standard length for them I believe.

I think you can save some bucks by buying the same thing from Dive Gear Express though, their corrugated hoses look the same to me and DGX quality is always high. I just went with the Halcyon because I was in the UK and needed it quick and it was available.

My wing is much better now!

Mine (halcyon) is 12 inches. Longer doesn't make any sense. Whatever length it is, you still have to easily find it and lift it to a higher point. Raising it 24 from horizontal (I like to think) sounds much too bulky, time consuming, and encumbering.
I'm encumbered enough as it is.

Mine (halcyon) is 12 inches. Longer doesn't make any sense. Whatever length it is, you still have easily find it and lift it to a higher point. Raising it 24 from horizontal (I like to think) sounds much too bulky, time consuming, and encumbering.
I'm encumbered enough as it is.

I know, right! But judging by the PSD wings Apeks think longer = a feature.

Otherwise I like the WTX wings very much, the quality is fine and the shape is low profile, just blighted by that daft hose.

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

I have an Apeks WTX 30 PSD with the shoulder dump.

The corrugated hose is really long as mentioned here and I also would like to replace it.

My question is: can I use the Halcyon shorter hose without the internal cable for the pull dump? (I never use this feature)

Or will it create problems if the cable is not there?

Thanks in advance !

There's no harm in not having the cable in there. Outside of mechanical failure, the dump will stay closed on its own and the absence of the cable really shouldn't increase that possibility.

If I were replacing the hose and disabling the shoulder dump, I'd probably just replace it with a plain elbow anyway (assuming an industry standard elbow fits of course)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom