Halcyon Eclipse, Pioneer or Evolve??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me elaborate a little bit and say this:

The only items that change in buoyancy over the course of the dive at all are exposure suit, tank, and wing.

The exposure suit has its maximum buoyancy at the surface and minimum at depth.

The tank has its maximum buoyancy at the end of the dive and minimum at the beginning.

The wing, therefore, will have its maximum buoyancy where the buoyancy of the tank and exposure suit are at their minimums... which are at depth and at the beginning of the dive.... and therefore, the maximum lift the wing must have is just enough to overcome the difference between maximum and minimum tank buoyancy added to the difference between maximum and minimum exposure suit buoyancy.

You can also therefore conclude that the greater the difference between maximum and minimum exposure suit buoyancy, the more lift needed by the wing. Which suits have the greatest difference? Thick wetsuits.

Another conclusion is that the greather the difference between maximum and minimum tank buoyancy, the more lift needed by the wing. Which tanks have the greatest difference? High volume tanks.

I noticed on that 5th demension sight the Eclipse wing with back plate is $595.00 Do most feel it's worthy of the price tag? I don't mind paying for good gear as long as it's good gear. Will I also need the 201b ACB system, it's an extra $120 or could I use an old fashioned weight belt?? Thanks for all the help

Personally, I'd save the $100 or so and get the Pioneer, but that's just me.

If I had lots of money to throw around I'd get the Eclipse.

Get what you can afford. I purchased a "blemmished" Pioneer from Extreem Exposure for $170 this year. It was missing an inflator, so I just added one from Oxycheq and it was good to go. My wife dives it, and it works as expected...its a bag that holds air.

I personally dive an Oxycheq #30 wing and have no complaints. I put a small pin hole in it, but it was easily patched with a dab of Aquaseal. I am not easy on my gear, it gets used and abused.

Yea, I get it.

pants!:
This diver could conceivably be wearing a 32 pound weight belt, but he would only be 10 pounds negative at the surface at the beginning of the dive!

Get it?

Wow, this is all the information about BP/W weighting I have been looking for, since I am just assembling my rig. Anybody want to trade a 27# or 30# for an 18# Halcyon Pioneer Batwing?
gomi_

gomi_otaku:
Anybody want to trade a 27# or 30# for an 18# Halcyon Pioneer Batwing?
gomi_

Hang on to that Batwing. They're hard to come by.

I too was wondering about these Halcyon rigs. I am new so I have a few dumb questions. Are there multiple dump valves similar to a vest BC? Does it have a manual inflator hose? How many D Rings are on the rig? Does it have a place to hold your octo?

I am really new to diving I just finished my pool session last night. I used a cressi jacket style BC it was okay but I want to start off with a BP/Wing. I know most who try the wing v regular bc most prefer the wing. Why is this? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help!!! :D

jasonX5:
I too was wondering about these Halcyon rigs. I am new so I have a few dumb questions. Are there multiple dump valves similar to a vest BC? Does it have a manual inflator hose? How many D Rings are on the rig? Does it have a place to hold your octo?

I am really new to diving I just finished my pool session last night. I used a cressi jacket style BC it was okay but I want to start off with a BP/Wing. I know most who try the wing v regular bc most prefer the wing. Why is this? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help!!! :D

:)

Multiple dump valves: No. Bottom of inlator hose, left inside of wing. That's all you need.

Manual inflator hose: Yes

How many D-rings: 5 (that's all you need)

Place to hold octo: No Put it around your neck.

Many people prefer the BP/W setup because it is easier to gain horizontal trim, it's more streamlined, it grows with you from recreational all the way to cave or wreck diving. It offers superior comfort IN THE WATER, is similar in cost to a good jacket BC, it's modular, and it adjusts for fit anyone from the smallest woman, to the largest man.

If you have ever seen a BP/W (hogarthian setup), you'll understand that the system is very streamlined, but the "thinking" in how you place things where you do is quite different from your recreational diving setup.

PerroneFord:
:)

Multiple dump valves: No. Bottom of inlator hose, left inside of wing. That's all you need.

Manual inflator hose: Yes

How many D-rings: 5 (that's all you need)

Place to hold octo: No Put it around your neck.

Many people prefer the BP/W setup because it is easier to gain horizontal trim, it's more streamlined, it grows with you from recreational all the way to cave or wreck diving. It offers superior comfort IN THE WATER, is similar in cost to a good jacket BC, it's modular, and it adjusts for fit anyone from the smallest woman, to the largest man.

If you have ever seen a BP/W (hogarthian setup), you'll understand that the system is very streamlined, but the "thinking" in how you place things where you do is quite different from your recreational diving setup.

You're a lifesaver thanks for all the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom