Halcyon H75P + Halo (weird?) cranking effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
HI all,

I've just overhauled my double tanks regulators, two Halcyon H75P and Halcyon Halo (same than Scubapro MK25 and G250V) and I think they are properly tuned, but there is something weird happening since before the maintenance I've did and I'm wondering whether I can do something to get better performance.

First of all I have to mention I have no tools to measure the cranking effort, so no way to compare with expected results (I just can say I breath well).

The symptoms are that, when inhaling gently the regulator start providing gas with certain effort and, after a little while (same inspiration), in a sudden, if provide gas easier, like with "bigger caudal".

I don't understand why is that happening and I think if I find out what's going on, maybe I could fine tune it better to get the bigger caudal from the beginning. If I inhale stronger I can get the better caudal but my SAC with rise and I prefer control my breathing.

See following a video in which you can see (listen) what I mean:

Weird Halcyon H75P + Halo cranking effort variation

Are both second stages doing the same thing?
Just tried and yes... not exactly at same point, but it also happens. I guess it's something normal when you inhale very gently?

This can happen sometimes with low cracking effort. Turn your adjustment knob CW 1/2 or a full turn and see if that makes a difference.

g250v-feels-like-it-has-2-stages-during-the-inhale-with-reg-in-either-pre-dive-or-dive-mode.623877

Your service tech needs to take a look or you if you have the ability check and readjust per the manual. And to do so you will need the ability to check the cracking effort using a Magnehelic or manometer. Otherwise you are not going to get a good result.

James
I'll have a look to the link.

I've followed all the manual steps but the cracking effort measure because I have no a Magnehetic device. I've tuned the lever until the feeling was OK and free flow was controlled. There are nothing else to tune in this reg.

I'll double check whethet the lever and the poppet are properly fitted.

Thanks.

This can happen sometimes with low cracking effort. Turn your adjustment knob CW 1/2 or a full turn and see if that makes a difference.
The knob was full opened when recorded the video. I guess if I close it the cranking effort will become worse, won't it?

The knob was full opened when recorded the video. I guess if I close it the cranking effort will become worse, won't it?
This is just a test to see if your cracking effort is causing what feels like a two stage opening of your valve, by increasing cracking effort with your knob. Quick easy and simple.

Check your lever height. The lever should be up against the diaphragm cover with no preload or just ever so lightly lower. Make sure the balance chamber O-rings are lubed with grease, lightly of course. Set the regulator to just barely begin to flow with the knob all the way out or on the verge of doing so. Then turn the knob in 1 turn and give it a try.

You need a Magnehelic, you should be able to get one on the eBay or similar, they are not that expensive and really are a MUST have!

James

If increasing the cracking effort changes the effect then you know your cracking effort is low and you can always check it with a bowl of water or sink without any tools.

Back
Top Bottom