Halcyon or DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Hammerhead BP with an OMS wing. Standard webbing, and DiveRite CAM bands. I did this for two reasons, 1) I got a great deal on the Wing (purchased, but not used), and 2) the HH plate and STA is close to 12lbs and I wanted a heavy BP to dive dry, and remove some weight from the belt.

If I was purchasing new, I'd give the nod to DSS. Halcyon makes good stuff no doubt. It is more expensive than the DSS, and IMO DSS makes top quality stuff as well.

I'd call Tobin, and he will hook you up! Their systems are sweet, but don't use STA's which is not much of an issue. The tank mount on the DSS is very solid.

I've been considering taking the GUE Fundies course and have been reading up on the different gear requirements. I currently don't dive a BP/W so that will have to be one of my purchases. After doing some research it looks like the BC's that I seem to be most interested in are either manufactured by either Halcyon or DSS. I'm from SoCal so the fact that DSS is local is a good thing and I've read that Tobin is awsome when it comes to customer service. Am I missing something in regards to Halcyon, or is it just a matter of preference? I would appreciate any feedback from anyone familiar with both of these manufacturer's products. I already screwed up on my first BC purchase and I'd like to get it right the second time.:D Thanks for the input...

Both Halcyon and DSS make quality rigs. I have Halcyon gear and have never had any issues with any of it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the same can be said for dive gear. In my final evaluation of gear, I considered both products to be virtually equal in quality, although I do favor the Halcyon plate over the DSS. With quality close to equal, I chose to do business with the local company, Halcyon. I'm happy with my gear and haven't regretted my purchase. I must tell you though, if I lived in California, I would probably be diving DSS gear. I would rather deal with a local manafacturer than one across the country. You won't go wrong with either one, good luck. :palmtree: Bob

I own both Halcyon and DSS. In my opinion, the DSS is a superior design as single rigs go. No need for an STA and it is completely rock solid. Given that they are local to you, it seems like a no brainer.

FYI... if you're taking Fundies, don't bother with the pro fit harness. Actually, regardless of fundies, a Hog harness is all you need and Tobin will tell you this himself. I learned this the hard way despite his advice.

Living in St Louis, we don't really have any local dealers that actually carry any wings in stock. I've only had the chance to dive the Halcyon a couple times, and it worked as good as anything else. I am impressed at the number of doubles rigs I see around here with the Sweet Lady H. I just picked up a 55# Explorer, and it will be interesting to see how it compares with my 40# Dive Rite.

Tom

the HH plate and STA is close to 12lbs and I wanted a heavy BP to dive dry, and remove some weight from the belt.

With DSS you can purchase the optional plate weights (Brings my meduim plate to 15#), an expensive 8lbs, but perfect location for trim, plus when I go tropical I can leave off the plates

I too can vouch for Tobin's unparalled customer service, both pre and post sale.

I'v only ordered once from DSS, but the service was quick and the order was completely right. Support a small businessman and buy from Tobin!

Living in St Louis, we don't really have any local dealers that actually carry any wings in stock. I've only had the chance to dive the Halcyon a couple times, and it worked as good as anything else. I am impressed at the number of doubles rigs I see around here with the Sweet Lady H. I just picked up a 55# Explorer, and it will be interesting to see how it compares with my 40# Dive Rite.

Tom
Off topic: What about Y-kiki Divers • Home • St. Louis ? I purchased my Evolve 60 there when I was in St Louis. They ordered it for me and it took only two days to get it. They told me that from time to time they had few pieces of Eclipse on stock.

Off topic: What about Y-kiki Divers • Home • St. Louis ? I purchased my Evolve 60 there when I was in St Louis. They ordered it for me and it took only two days to get it. They told me that from time to time they had few pieces of Eclipse on stock.

They're a dealer, but like I said, they don't carry wings in stock. At least not on purpose. It's gotta be a money loser for anyone around here to carry Backplates or wings. Most of the shop owners consider them unsafe or inappropriate.

Tom

I'd recommend DSS as well. Great designs and lasting gear. Less expensive and wonderful customer service. (I've called him sooo many times, each time, he's the same helpful person. Not blowing me off or anything... *surprised*. :p)

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom