Halcyon Pioneer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncsuScUbA

Registered
Reaction score
About how much would a Halcyon pioneer with a 27 lb. wing and stainless steel backplate cost? Also, how much is it with an aluminum bp?

Halcyon uses what they call Fair Trade Pricing - which essentially compells dealers to sell the stuff at a specific price point across the country.

If you go to their site (www.halcyon.net) FTP is posted there. You'll pay that price from all Halcyon dealers. FTP for a SS or ALU plate and the 27 wing is about $505

If you shop carefully, you'll find the stuff on eBay for less (check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2713931876&category=1300 ) 2betechdiving is a sweetheart - I've purchased lots of stuff from him via eBay.

Lloyd Bailey (http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com) sells at FTP, but sends it freight free all over the country - about the best FTP deal I've found (plus they're nice people.)

I just went through all this when getting my rig a month ago - I have several other sources and info if you need it. Just PM me.

best,

Ken

Thanks a lot. That clears a lot up for me. Im currently getting NAUI certified and I can see myself on the track to DIR already. Just watching the other people in my class frustrates me. My instructors are extremely good and teach us many principles that I have read about on the GUE website. I just hate the scubapro BCs we use, they are all over the place and bulky. I cant wait to try diving using a bp/wing configuration. Im just kinda thinking about the future right now.

That seems a bit much, I was thinking that it was more in the $425 range. The 27# wing usually goes for about $225, let's say $45 for the webbing and all the d-rings and retainers, and you can get a backplate from just about anywhere, like Fred T or diverite.

But FTP for the system is $505. No saavy consumer has to pay $505, but it is what it is.

K

Wendy once bubbled...
That seems a bit much, I was thinking that it was more in the $425 range. The 27# wing usually goes for about $225, let's say $45 for the webbing and all the d-rings and retainers, and you can get a backplate from just about anywhere, like Fred T or diverite.

How long has it been since you have priced halcyon products.Those were the good ol prices of yesterday.Todays prices include giving up your other arm and leg :D

I didn't think it was that long ago, about a year. Maybe I'm off on my pricing, could be.

The main problem facing divers who want to adopt a BP for diving singles is that Halcyon virtually has a monopoly on a low to medium capacity streamlined wing for use with a single tank. Consider the 36# Pioneer wing alone is FTP at $338. That much cash will buy a lot of complete BC's at mail order prices. It really amazes me that no one has jumped in to compete, especially given how many companies are makeing backplates these days.

Northern Diver has the X-wing, but that requires mail order from the UK and some DIY work to punch holes in it. From what I have heard its rated capacity of 44# is a bit optomistic, which makes it a de facto competitor to the Pioneer 36.

ncsuScUbA,

Judging by your name, I assume you are taking the class at NC State. Is Matt Reaver your Instructor? I teach SCUBA at ECU, Matt worked here a few years ago. Nice guy.

I have the setup you mentioned if you would like to meet at Rolesville one day to try it out as soon as it warms up.

One of my University students bought the Halcyon setup as his first set of gear and he really, really likes it.

leadweight once bubbled...
The main problem facing divers who want to adopt a BP for diving singles is that Halcyon virtually has a monopoly on a low to medium capacity streamlined wing for use with a single tank. Consider the 36# Pioneer wing alone is FTP at $338. That much cash will buy a lot of complete BC's at mail order prices. It really amazes me that no one has jumped in to compete, especially given how many companies are makeing backplates these days.

Northern Diver has the X-wing, but that requires mail order from the UK and some DIY work to punch holes in it. From what I have heard its rated capacity of 44# is a bit optomistic, which makes it a de facto competitor to the Pioneer 36.

Keep an eye on OMS.Maybe they will be coming out with something in the future since they have taken up some of the DIR equipment ideas and staff from halcyon.

I do have to admit, even though halcyon pioneer wings are overpriced i wouldnt trade it for another wing out there.To me there just isnt nothing comparable to the pioneer wings.So till then halcyon rules the market on single tank wings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom