Halcyon Power Inflator Sticking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This happened to us a year ago on both of our wings while on a trip.

Try contacting Halcyon directly. Within a couple of hours, new ones were couriered to our hotel. No charge, no argument...

There's no date on this document, but perhaps it will be of use.

BTW balanced inflators, such as sold by ScubaPro, are much less prone to sticking than non-balanced inflators.

Attachments

• halcyon_inflator04_v1.pdf
    326.6 KB · Views: 292
There's no date on this document, but perhaps it will be of use.

Those inflators have been out of production for at least 12 years.

Last edited:
Little late maybe but it looks like that slot in the end of the shaft - opposite the inflator button - is intended to allow a flat head screwdriver to keep the shaft from rotating as the button is removed. My Hollis wing has what looks like basically the exact inflator (and same inflator that the DGX site shows), just an older version that still has the hex end rather than a slotted end. My personal recommendation would be to get a well fitting screwdriver to hold that shaft in place (maybe with a helper) and turn the button with a pair of vise-grips or channel locks - mine was easily "dissasemble-able" and I haven't taken it apart in at least8 years (as evidenced by the corrosion on the shaft and metal housing).

43542369792_75985b8e6c_c.jpg

This happened to us a year ago on both of our wings while on a trip.

Try contacting Halcyon directly. Within a couple of hours, new ones were couriered to our hotel. No charge, no argument...

Sadly I think the service may have dipped slightly since your issue... I pointed out they had no stock in my LDS or anywhere else I could find in the UK, and asked them what I/they could do, but my mail was ignored. :(
Stock just arrived in my L(ish)DS so I've ordered a couple, when they arrive I will replace and tear down the old one.

The Halcyon part is reasonably priced compared to inflators from other premium brands, but if you can't buy them that is a problem. It'll be really interesting to see what the failure is in my valve.

My personal recommendation would be to get a well fitting screwdriver to hold that shaft in place (maybe with a helper) and turn the button with a pair of vise-grips or channel locks - mine was easily "dissasemble-able" and I haven't taken it apart in at least8 years (as evidenced by the corrosion on the shaft and metal housing).

That is the plan CT Sean, if mine looked like yours I would replace it without question... and anything it touched. :)

If you can't get it apart, try silicone spray, time, and compressed air. It might free up as your other parts look new.

I went through the same issue with a bit more. The power inflator would allow the BC to just inflate. I rinsed and cleaned every part as well as replaced every o ring, to no avail it happened again. I replaced the innards of the power inflator, again at no victory. I bought a new power inflator. DONE, DONE, and DONE. Throw enough money at a problem and you can solve it. I chalked it up to gremlins

Damn, I'm glad I bought DiveRite Wings back in 1998. Now 20 years and 2500 dives later, they are still working fine and have never been serviced.
You get what you pay for, and Lamar Hires (DiveRite) learned back in the 80's that the best inflators were made by Sherwood. He never saw a reason to try to improve/screw up a perfect inflator just to save a few bucks and put his label on it. JJ unfortunatly had to try and redesign the wheel, and Halcyon inflator users are now having to live with his 4th attempt at making a working inflator.
If you want a DIR inflator, buy it from DiveRite!

Michael

Well here's the kicker. I was simply mentioning I experienced that problem. Mine was not on a Halcyon rig. Nor any of my tech rigs.It was actually on a Sherwood Axis rec BC.

This is not a manufacture issue.
It's a maintenance issue.
A dab of silicone once a year is all thats needed

Back
Top Bottom